double ups -- seeking advice on how to do them effectively

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by eye am xs, Jul 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eye am xs

eye am xs New Member

i'm trying to find out what's the best way to have double up's on certain words or certain phrases....i've been told a few ways to do it, but i haven't been able to do any of them effectively...
    the ways i've been told

1. record the complete verse, then go on another track and record another track of me repeating the words i want doubled... when i do it that way, i can barely hear the double up, because i'm right on beat with myself, so it just sounds like it gets louder, not doubled

2. record the complete verse, then copy the whole verse to another track and move it to the left a little (so it's not aligned w/verse 1), then delete every thing that i don't want doubled....
    this was just taking too long to do, didn't feel like it

3. record the complete verse, then highlight the words i want doubled up, and copy and paste them on another track....
    again this took too long to do

anyone have any suggestions?
    test
  2. eye am xs

eye am xs New Member

up for some help
    test
  3. H20

H20 New Member

Option one...but try using a different effect for ya double ups...or maybe some change in emotion....u say it just gets louder so i figure ur not looking to make ur voice stronger but 2 add that extra ump in the background of ya audio...

Option 1
    test
  4. eye am xs

eye am xs New Member

okay if i do it like that^^, how do i get it to sound like the professionals do....when i hear double-ups in real songs, the double-up is not as loud as the actual words, but it's still very clear and can be heard easily?
    test
  5. artassociatez

artassociatez F*ck off

.:: RTM_Spitz ::. is the best I heard on rap music no joke this cat is actually ill damn
    nice job man...
    test
  6. H20

H20 New Member

Well...u can pan the double...meaning...adjust the positon of the sound (either move it more into the left or right channel)...to make it sound far off in the background but yet clear...
    test
  7. H20

H20 New Member

That Hate Me track u got aight...like dat shit...u got ya own style and shit...dat's wassup...

That bronxcat diss was funny...was that him in the convo...tell me what happened
    test
  8. the.dirtiest

the.dirtiest inactive

copy the vocal track to another channel and pan it right by 18 or so. turn the volume down on the doubled part down, and put these effects on it: detune 3-5 semitones - EQ - compressor at 2:1 or so, 0ms attack, 50ms release - plate reverb with a very small room size, short trail, and no predelay - compressor

then chop out the audio you don't want and you're set.
    test
  9. eye am xs

eye am xs New Member

thanks for the help
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.