"Dou You Mix At High Or Low Levels"..?.

Discussion in 'Audio Producers Discussions' started by Mr.BYTCH KILLA, Mar 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr.BYTCH KILLA

Mr.BYTCH KILLA Hater Abolisher

Know what Im talkin Bout....What It Do Rap Music.com Real Producers and also them Trick Azz Producers....no names....but anyway I been reading my book on mixing and I was surprised that it said that it best to mix at low levels....It cool to check the mix at higher levels time to time...though..

Mixing at high levels doesnt gurantee you a good mix....even great engineers mix at low levels ...for one it saves yo ears...and we need our ears to hear the best sound possible right....and our future as an Producer...

I was just wondering how you niggaz mixing though at high or either low levels...I know I been mixing at high levels so Im going to turn it down a notch and try mixing at lower levels....I need my ears for my future.....and I think RapMusic.com Producers also do....except for them Trick Azz Producers...yall ears can just fall off....lol..

Thanks for any replies....Just thought we could discuss this topic today....Thanks again....B.K."All Haters Perish"...
    test
  2. SamSneed

SamSneed TrackWorks

i dont mix at high levels. nor do i mix at low levels, i try to get a decent/moderate level, somewhere not to far above normal talking volume. i think at moderate levels, your ears hear more 'realistically', andi dont want to go deaf. plus i fucking hate loud music...i think making and mixing music while its loud is one of the main reason why sooo much garbage music is put out...it messes up your perception.
    test
  3. HYPNOTIK

HYPNOTIK Fully Loaded

if u tun the volume up full blas and have every instrument 10 + db or what ever.. im pretty sure ur ears will start bleeding..

u gotta gradually everynow and then turn it up
    test
  4. b-real 123

b-real 123 New Member

Monitoring Level

Unfortunately the human ear is not flat at all levels. Some guys called Fletcher and Munson worked out what the response curve of the ear was and found that at low levels the ear missed out on the low frequencies and the high frequencies, whereas at loud levels it was the opposite.

[​IMG]

From the above chart you can see that around 80 - 90db the ear is the flattest. The fact that we don't hear low frequencies and high frequencies at low levels created the Loudness switch on stereo systems which boosts the low and high frequencies to compensate for the ear. Unfortunately, Joe Public doesn't know this but knows that when it is switched in things sound fatter and brighter so they leave it in all the time. It is generally recognised that a level of 85db is where the ear is at it's flattest so don't mix too loud if you want a flat response.

The important thing about mixing is apparent loudness, or relative loudness. If I whisper into a mike and then I shout into a mike the shout will appear louder because I know that shouting is loud. It's the same with mixing. You create an illusion of loudness, everything is relative. You can't get bigger if you are already at your maximum. If I mix a soft acoustic guitar and vocal and peak to zero then bring in a full kit and grunge guitar also peaking to zero it will apparently get louder because I know that drums and guitar are loud. Mixing is the art of making signals that all peak to zero sound as if there is a dynamic range. Nowadays with the excellent compression systems we have most recordings are heavily compressed. I was told of a producer who hired a mixing engineer to mix an album. The guy turned up with racks and racks of compressors and set about compressing every track. He had one compressor for this and another for that etc. In the end the whole mix was pumping away and almost mixed itself. That album went on to sell millions of copies world wide. Those of you who have played with Waves Ultramaximiser will know what compression can do for a mix. If you watch most modern pop recordings on a VU meter the needle is almost static varying only a few db yet the tracks go from quiet intros to full on chorus and solo sections yet still there is only a small variation in level. So setting compression (and limiting) levels is important. I will always have a compressor across the output of my mixes as it helps control the peaks and brings up the loudness of the track but I may use individual compressors on separate channels.

Finally - do take the time to get a good mix. If you don't you have not given justice to all the effort you put into recording it in the first place. It may take a few remixes, so what - it's the final product that counts.

How Loud?

There are a lot of opinions on how loud the sound should be for monitoring. I would recommend that you do most of your monitoring at a fairly low level, no louder than if you were listening to a conversation. This is for three reasons. Firstly, music always seems to sound better when you pump it up a bit and you really want it to sound as bad as it can be, secondly, you can be more discriminating at reasonable listening levels (in fact the quieter it is, the more you need to concentrate on the material), and thirdly, you won’t suffer from fatigue nearly as much. Every now and again though, you should turn the level up to see if there are any dominating sound at high volumes, especially at the high and low ends of the spectrum. A bass that sounds great at low levels, or a hi-hat that is perfectly balanced, can be overpowering when turned up.
    test
  5. HYPNOTIK

HYPNOTIK Fully Loaded

^ Thats common sense!
    test
  6. Mr.BYTCH KILLA

Throwed Azz Read B-Real.....Imma read it again till all them real ass statements you type just saves into my brain....Very useful info for me...since Im just starting out....and at least I know that the book I'm reading....is some real true shyt...

Thanks B-Real for yo time and knowledge....I really apreciate it...

You always have been on a Real Nigga Status with me....Stay Real....

Anyone else mind sharing how they mix?....Or you cant because yo head stuck up yo azz hole....lol...Im just fucking with yall...but please do ....share how you mix...At High Or Low volumes....?...B.K.
    test
  7. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

test
  8. ILLRoyalty

ILLRoyalty just pooted

i mix low but frequently turn it up to see how it bangs.... because the boom is very important.
    test
  9. Mr.BYTCH KILLA

Thanks Arcane for yo time finding that link....Its amazing that the testing of sound went back way in 1933 by Flecther and Munsun...They were way before they time...very smart ...

Equal Loudness Contours huh?...I started reading the link...and found out that Equal Loudness Contours is the measure of sound pressure over a fequency spectrum....

It cool to me to learn shyt I never knew before....I love this Music Game....Thanks Again Arcane........Im not through reading the link....It's interesting to me....B.K.
    test
  10. Mr.BYTCH KILLA

Just like this thread I made....Even though I know that as beat makers we all mix our sounds at diffrerent levels...The Haters still refuse to reply to some education shyt....

This here proves and point out just who the haters are.....I had two Mod post in here....Arcane and Hypnotik.....Thats why I highly respect these niggaz as they do the same to me.....Thanks For The Help....Fuck You Haters.....

No Spam Allowed....

B.K.
    test
  11. Definit

Definit Based.

there's ton's more stuff for you to read and learn below...soak it up.

knowledge with music may take you to another level...just knowing.

http://board.rapmusic.com/showthread.php?t=621990

if you havent came across this stuff...it's located in the Audio Help & Tricks section on this forum. hope it helps you out.

also, futureproducers.com has some good readings there.

and computermusic.co.uk has some good stuff there too...
    test
  12. Mr.BYTCH KILLA

Thanks Definit...This is so real of you Pimp...Real Talk...Im already a future Producer member....and ill check Computer music out also...but I will check out the link and read because I love too....Thanks man...and by you doing this really separates you form the Haters....

Future Producer gott some very good info on that site...everybody laid back....and they help each other unlike here....they talk down....but im versatile so I can relate....I learn on Future Producers...and i try to bring it here and these Haters assume they know it all....SHM...Its Sad....

Im also a Tweakhead member.....this is another throwed forum to learn....B.K.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.