Does regular daily fatigue/sleepiness affect a workout?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by R-Tistic, Jul 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. R-Tistic

R-Tistic Your favorite DJ

I have always wondered...how much does being tired, such as working 8 hrs at your job after only getting 5-6 hours of sleep, affect your actual workout? Will it only affect the fatigue you have during your workout, or will it affect the max that you can handle? Does it affect your running/cardio fatigue as well?

I want to know because I work 8 hrs a day during the week, and I tend to take naps after work before I go to the gym just to have that extra energy. It seems as if it helps a lot as far as me being alert...but even when I'm tired as hell and go to work out, I don't notice a difference with the max weights I will use. I will notice that I may get tired quicker...but I don't really know how much it affects me when I'm lifting weights.

When I play basketball, it's similar...I tend to be ok when I first start, but I may end up getting tired faster than usual.
    test
  2. Graphx

Graphx Word? Word!

I think a lot of times it has to do with your state of mind. Like for instance, lets say you just got off work...you're tired and you're like "man, I'm feelin drained, fuck this shit"...you're either gonna skip your workout all together or drag yourself through a shitty one.

But if you block that shit outta your mind and tell yourself it's all in your head and get amped up...then you could prolly power your way through a bomb ass session.

Some of my best workouts have come after sleeping like 4-5 hours and being out all night or even working 12 hours then goin straight to the gym. To me I think it's more or less all in the mind, barring some kind of extreme fatigue.

Energy drinks can help too
    test
  3. Got Life?

Got Life? Resident Megalomaniac

it depends person to person...i'm an insomniac...for me 5-6 hours of sleep would be amazing...if you're feeling it though, your mind is not getting enough rest.
    test
  4. absolute zero

absolute zero Among the living

I know it affects me. When I'm tired, my body is also tired. Tired body < Awake and energized body. Not only that but when you're tired, the last thing you want to do is lift or run or do something like that, so you're going to cheat and slack if you're in the gym.
    test
  5. LiveFromThe781

LiveFromThe781 Don Of The Den

i think it depends a lot on what you do for work, and what you do for a workout.

my job..well the one im quitting (starting as a PT in like 5 days) anyway, that job drains the shit out of me. its not even physically demanding its just fucking draining.

you take that and add it to the fact my workouts are also intense and its not easy to work an 8 hr shift then go hard for 45 mins to an hour.

sleep is also huge, at least for me. i like to have like 8-9 hrs a night. i just need it, even if im off like an hour i feel more sluggish throughout the whole day. it sucks, but my body is pretty high maitenance lol.
    test
  6. Gorilla Nasty

Gorilla Nasty I'm lame TBH

IMO absolutely.
    test
  7. Ben Official

Ben Official Active Member

of course it does
    test
  8. R-Tistic

R-Tistic Your favorite DJ

I can see that happening...if you have a physical labor type of job, then that drains you physically to where it probably is harder to work out. With me, I work 8 hrs a day in an office where I'm just sittin here...so I get that "sleepy" feeling all of the time, and I feel sleepy as hell driving home and all...but physically, most of my energy should be there.
    test
  9. rocker314

rocker314 Rock Star

another thing is stress...
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.