Does marijuana really kill brain cells?

Discussion in '420Lounge' started by Martin, May 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Martin

Martin New Member

A thought out answer would be much appreciated.
    test
  2. Decibel

Decibel Writtens

test
  3. BLooDSHoTT

BLooDSHoTT R.I.P. Point Game

.. No they juss say that to scare ya
    test
  4. Blackanese

Blackanese BlackaneseCantRap.com

.....yeh..
    test
  5. jaxamar

jaxamar UnVeiling Truth...

Of course not.. Burning a plant containing chemicals that affect your brain enough to change your perception of whats going on around you while also inhaling deadly tars actually stimulates the growth and multiplies ur brain cell mass by 5... which explains why sometimes u feel like a damn genius when ur high...............
    test
  6. badassyella

badassyella New Member

[dunno] ...
    I tend to be really forgetful since I started smoking more....
    but I dunno if it actually kills any brain cells...
    test
  7. jaxamar

Hundreds of thousands of brain cells die everyday.. So im not sure how many more die from weed.. but simple shit like being around cars alot ( the exhaust & what not, affects mechanics after years of work), holding breath for long period of time, shit like that kills cells.. so yea.. weed smoke goin kill its share..
    test
  8. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

NO, weed does not kill brain cells

it infact "coats" them which disables them a bit, but its only temporary and nothing to worry about

so no worries kiddies
    test
  9. jaxamar

^ ? Like to see some actual real info on that, everything ive ever read about marijuana and the brain talks bout the loss of cells first & foremost
    test
  10. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

when i learned about drugs in school that is what they told us, so seeing as a school taught us that im sure they got their info from somewhere, so im sure if you looked it up youd find it...
    test
  11. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

Heres some info

3) Doesn't Marijuana cause brain damage?
    The short answer: No.
    The long answer: The reason why you ask this is because you probably heard or read somewhere that marijuana damages brain cells, or makes you stupid. These claims are untrue.

The first one -- marijuana kills brain cells -- is based on research done during the second Reefer Madness Movement. A study attempted to show that marijuana smoking damaged brain structures in monkeys. However, the study was poorly performed and it was severely criticized by a medical review board. Studies done afterwards failed to show any brain damage, in fact a very recent study on Rhesus monkeys used technology so sensitive that scientists could actually see the effect of learning on brain cells, and it found no damage.

But this was Reefer Madness II, and the prohibitionists were looking around for anything they could find to keep the marijuana legalization movement in check, so this study was widely used in anti-marijuana propaganda. It was recanted later.

(To this day, the radical anti-drug groups, like P.R.I.D.E. and Dr. Gabriel Nahas, still use it -- In fact, America's most popular drug education program, Drug Abuse Resistance Education, claims that marijuana ``can impair memory perception & judgement by destroying brain cells.'' When police and teachers read this and believe it, our job gets really tough, since it takes a long time to explain to children how Ms. Jones and Officer Bob were wrong.)

The truth is, no study has ever demonstrated cellular damage, stupidity, mental impairment, or insanity brought on specifically by marijuana use -- even heavy marijuana use. This is not to say that it cannot be abused, however.

--------taken from the vaults of erowid.
    test
  12. BLooDSHoTT

BLooDSHoTT R.I.P. Point Game

test
  13. jaxamar

Good Looks.. I honestly never cared whether it damaged brain cells or not seeing as Pollution in cities probably was doing more..but now.. I can finally get my little sister smoking and not worry bout it.. LOL
    test
  14. Martin

Martin New Member

That's what i've always thought. I was talking to my friend about it, and he was convinced that weed killed brain cells. We even made a bet.
    test
  15. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

well you won
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.