Does alcohol ruin your workout???

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Juked, Jan 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juked

Juked like 20 of the Lions.

I'm in college so i like to go out and party...

however i also am startin to work out hardcore and its becomin my main priority

on days taht i lift is it bad if i drink some alchohol later taht night??

ive heard that it like completely takes away from all your gains is that true???

help a kid out.
    test
  2. Ben Official

Ben Official Active Member

no it doesnt, but it is 7kcal/gram so it is pretty high energy density and will make you fat if you over do it, just make sure you eat all your nutritious foods first before you go out and drink

however i never drink the day before an intense workout, because even though i dont really get hung over, i still feel it no matter what during the workout
    test
  3. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

Well, considering alcohol lowers testosterone and increases estrogen, yes, it's an incredibly bad idea to drink the same day you lift.

After drinking for the immediate 24-48 hours it will:
    reduce your strength
    reduce your endurance
    decrease your recovery capabilities
    decrease your aerobic capacity
    reduce your ability to metabolize fat
    interfere with muscle growth
    acts as a diuretic

You have to remember that alcohol is a toxin, it's liquid poison. If you're serious about your weight lifting you should only be taking in a few drinks a week at most. Moderation is key.
    test
  4. Ben Official

lol, anyone who doesnt drink because it "lowers testosterone and increases estrogen" is a buffoon, lol.
    test
  5. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

Yeah, who doesn't love feminization?
    test
  6. theres studys that show a few beers a day is good for you.. unless your an alcoholic because alcoholics cant stop at a few beers... when im drinking tho im usually in lazy mode so if i plan on working out after im drinking, i usually get some red bull.( < - sugar free red-bull without vodka ) bad thing about red-bull is it contains caffeine found in coffe and equals 4 soda pops ( caffeine wise )

it takes about one hour for beer contained in about 3-4 beers to exit your system, "according to my drivers manual"..
    test
  7. Ben Official

dont be ridiculous.
    test
  8. Gorilla Nasty

Gorilla Nasty I'm lame TBH

Wrong. Aside from what Steve mentioned, beer is loaded with sugar too. Beer isn't good for you. The hops and barley in it are. While the alcohol and sugar are extremely bad and dehydrating to you. Those studies are ran by alcoholic morons I bet. The same guys who say that wine is good for you. No. Grapes are good for you.

Why do you NEED all of that collateral damage with it? IMO, the the disadvantages definitely outweigh the advantages.

Will getting drunk completely take away from your gains? No. that's absurd. I'm sure that it will at least slightly effect them though if not adversely. as Steve said, the hormone conversion will add up over time. The sugar and calories will add up over time. The dehydration will cause bad things. Not to mention the bullshit that people eat when they're drunk.

I mean obviously not drinking would be your best bet. Just drink as little as possible. For example, I still drink, but when I drink I like to get wasted. So I only drink about 5-6 times a year or less.
    test
  9. LiveFromThe781

LiveFromThe781 Don Of The Den

dude i went 6 months w/o drinking anything now i have a couple beers on weekends and shit but even still i dont even really like drinking cause i seem to have more fun sober and not feel like a jackass the next day about it.
    test
  10. Purple Haze

Purple Haze pop warner hof

beers?

red wine is good for you.
    test
  11. beer is also good for you.... ive heard that many times, they did a report on dateline nbc a few months ago... its only unhealthy cuz most people cant stop at 2-3 beers.
    test
  12. A pint of beer may help protect against heart disease more effectively than red wine or spirits, researchers have found.

While the health benefits of red wine have long been touted by scientists, a letter in medical journal The Lancet suggests that the odd pint may also be a good idea.

Beer contains vitamin B6 which prevents the build up in the body of a chemical called homocysteine - thought to be linked to an increase in the risk of heart disease.

There are damn sight better ways to protect against heart disease than by drinking beer

Andrew Varley, Institute of Alcohol Studies
    However, Dutch researchers have discovered that this may not be the only reason why beer may be good for the heart.

Dr Henk Hendriks and colleagues from the TNO Nutrition and Food Research Institute, studied 111 healthy men who each drank beer, red wine, spirits, and water, for three weeks, with dinner.

They found that homocysteine levels did not increase after beer consumption, but rose after drinking wine and spirits.

Beer drinkers had a 30% increase of vitamin B6 in blood plasma.

Levels of B6 also rose in people who had drunk wine and spirits, although not by the same amount.

Dr Hendriks' team suggests that beer may contain other ingredients that help protect against heart disease.

Dr Hendriks told BBC News Online: "Moderate alcohol consumption affects many processes in the body, one of which is the significant increase in HDL cholesterol - the good cholesterol.

"However, one should not drink alcohol to become healthy."

Andrew Varley, of the Institute of Alcohol Studies, warned against people using the research as an excuse to drink more beer.

He said: "Any research about the various health-giving properties of different types of alcohol is a bit of a red herring as the effect is usually marginal and restricted to a very small group of people under certain circumstances.

"There are damn sight better ways to protect against heart disease than by drinking beer, but people love this sort of thing because it gives them an excuse."

Mr Varley said that drinking large quantities of beer would create far more health problems than it would solve.

A spokesman for the British Heart Foundation said: "At the moment we should all stick to the known facts: one or two units of alcohol a day may have a protective affect on the heart but more than this could do more harm than good.

"Using this study as an excuse to go on a beer binge over the Bank Holiday weekend is not the answer.
    test
  13. Look im Gangsta

Look im Gangsta New Member

I wouldn't work out after a heavy night, but 3-6 drinks isn't going to kill you.

Just don't get hammered and you don't get dehydrated or starved of sugar.
    test
  14. Money's Worth

Money's Worth 202 All Day

i would not drink 2 day prior or atleast give yourself a full day between drinkin and workin out. you dont wanna drink friday, saturday, sunday then expect to perform well in the gym, your gonna be dehydrated and your body is not gonna be in the right state to be liftin, a few beers aint gonna hurt but if your gettin drunk your not gonna perform 100% in the gym the next day
    test
  15. LiveFromThe781

LiveFromThe781 Don Of The Den

a couple beers wont kill you.
    test
  16. dlbiininja

dlbiininja The Hip Hop Poet.

damn, a pint of beer is a lot to piss away. And so is the water that goes with it.
    And the damn sugar and calories with it.
    test
  17. BLOODraven

BLOODraven New Member

yeaa i heard 2-3 a day will get u in the best shape of ur life

get outta here lol
    test
  18. LeKCheR

LeKCheR Active Member

Thats true.... I know body builders who will drink for calories when they are trying to bulk....

I started smoking pot again to make me more hungry. lol
    test
  19. LeKCheR

LeKCheR Active Member

And also drinking then going to work out the next day makes the workout fucking BRUTAL... Sweating all the toxins out of your body.... kicks a hangover in..

Thats why during my heavy training i'll limit myself to drinking once a week....
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.