Dodge Challenger SRT8 enters production

Discussion in 'Car & Audio' started by Snikka, May 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snikka

Snikka Vision Action Execution

Production for Dodge’s long-awaited Challenger SRT8 muscle car officially kicked off yesterday at Chrysler’s Brampton assembly plant, with the first car’s scheduled to hit dealer showrooms next week. They won’t be sitting idle for long, however, as the SRT8’s entire first year production run – about 7,000 cars – is already accounted for.
    test
  2. Snikka

Car and Driver got the great pleasure of taking out the new Dodge Challenger SRT8 to a local dragstrip. Thanks to that monster motor and a short first gear, the Challenger does earn a dollop of street cred, hitting 60 mph in 4.8 seconds, charging through the quarter-mile in 13.3 at 108 mph, and running to a drag-limited top speed of 168 mph. Other sources ran some numbers, too. So here's a quick summary:

Edmunds - 13.2 @ 107
    Motor Trend - 13.1 @ 108
    C&D - 13.3 @ 108

It weighs almost 4000 lbs. I read elsewhere that high 13's were achieved. So... take that as you will.
    test
  3. Shy

Shy a.k.a. Klear Eyed

Super badass.

I think this is finally the modern/classic muscle car they actually did correctly. It still has the looks, rather than turning it in to some retarded bland box (ford mustang/camaro). Basically just updated the lighting...

I like it.
    test
  4. Fantom

Fantom :ihadadream:

those times gotta be whack cuz you can get those with an srt8 charger stock...

shit should be a little faster than that...
    test
  5. Shy

Shy a.k.a. Klear Eyed

Yeah, they're probably right at the same. Those are both good times though. Charger SRT8 gets 13's stock.... I never knew that. But that's about as good as these cars are going to get stock, without the price going way higher.
    test
  6. Snikka

I didn't wanna be "talking shit" but in my mind 13's is slow and not at all impressive. It weighs alot.

Gonna pay 30k+ for a 13's car?

I mean, who knows what the Camaro is gonna do. (Will likely be faster)

So basically I'm gonna be able to go out and spank 09' Challengers... should be fun.
    test
  7. Noodles

Noodles The People's Champion

lmao... 13's on a stock car is not slow.
    test
  8. Snikka

a 6.1 litre Hemi v8 at what? 425bhp? Running 13's?

Maybe that's fast out in your bullshit town.

The weight is the only consideration I'm going to give it. But this is the classic "muscle car" reknown for it's drag racing heritage and you're happy with 13's?

You better hope someone coughs up a high 12.

So awesome that someones 6-10 year old bone stock ls1 will give it trouble.. lol.
    test
  9. Shy

Shy a.k.a. Klear Eyed

^What? A WS6?

They aren't going to put out 5 cars that run 12s.

The old chargers werent the fastest muscle cars either.

Fuck, I can get an 88 model vehicle and trash that and that 6-10 year old vehicle you speak of. All depends on what you want. People buying the challenger probably arent all about drag times.
    test
  10. Fantom

you can get high 12s with little modding on an srt8 charger or 300... high 12s on an srt8 mag cuz its 4400 fuckin pounds...

I'm pretty sure that a stock challenger srt8 would run high/low 12s stock since its waaaaay lighter than all 3 LX model srt8s (4100+)....
    test
  11. Snikka

Your last sentance makes no sense. If it's so easy, why don't you do it? You always think cost of vehicle is what matters. RICER MATH. Anyone who is into racing is looking to go faster so it doesn't matter how much you paid.. POWER is POWER. You know how much guys love beating high priced cars and exotics and slapping them around in races. Hilarious. How about you get a car that even could run a fucking 13 and trap a measly 109 and then you talk.

There's no difference. Why would you say "WHAT A WS6?".

I mean going by model years the only difference is that the 01-02 cars (like mine) already have an ls6 intake manifold

Otherwise, the only difference between a ws6 and a trans am is some small suspension stuff, the hood, wheels, ram air lower air box. However, they do have slighly different gear ratios in the rear. But that depends on the year/model/trans type and could be 2.73's, 3.23's, or 3.42's (available in the 6-speed SS)

They run mostly the same times man dependant on driver, trans, gears. But they make the same power. Hopefully you will remember this time, we've been through it a lot. THERES NO DIFFERENCE.

My car stock w/ lid/fast toys ram air/273's ran dead even with a 4th gen ws6. and it's been well known in the community there's no difference. Mostly just a marketing scheme with higher horsepower ratings. An ls1 is an ls1 is an ls1. Stock will run even with a ls1 C5 also in case you wonder.

So yes, a bone stock ls1 in good working order should give it trouble.

Fresh out of the box you are guaranteed a 13-sec car with the ls1 f-body. high 12's have been done many times. Then it depends on how you mod. a bolt-on's only ls1 f-body went 11's years ago. Anything you can think of has already been done.
    test
  12. Snikka

lol @ low 12's.

Ummmm. no.
    test
  13. Snikka

Noodles, you the guy with the SS on black/polished lip motorsports right?

<--- 75k miles and still perfect (01' T/A)
    test
  14. Shy

Shy a.k.a. Klear Eyed

You're really trying to tell me that they run the same power? Yeah, I guess....if 25 hp difference is "the same".

The WS6 still costs a pretty penny for a good reason while you can catch 99-up trans ams for 5-6k on any block you can buy a car in.

But wtf are you talking about? "You think the price you spend...."....

Uh....I just said I could find an 88 model POS and beat a WS6.... for less money. Fuck, we all know you can throw 7k out there and run 11s....

so who said price = power?? Please...show me where I said that...

lol, anyone even comes close to dissing (i didnt this time) your TA, you get butt hurt and start throwing random shit out there.
    test
  15. Snikka

There's no difference in the power they make. The difference is cosmetic. I don't care what you WANT to believe. I'm telling you fact. Outside of an ls6 intake there is no difference in the bhp the engine makes based on year.

Who cares about the 88' hypothetical example. What does that have to do with anything. I'm saying a 4th gen ls1 car will run with an 09' challenger bone stock and I find that funny.

lol @ 5-6k... Please show me some a good condition lower mileage ls1 4th gen on autotrader, cars.com craigslist or ANY example that proves what you say. I know you have no idea what you are talking about you just say random shit. MAYBE you can find some 98/99's with 100k on the clock for 8-9k. Thats about it.

Thanks for playing.
    test
  16. Snikka

Btw, you should do what you say and get a car, put such "little" money into it and then come back and tell us how it goes. You make it sound SO EASY and VERY POSSIBLE. I'm sure that 7k includes any labor involved.. oh wait, you'd be doing all the work yourself I suppose?

I think you should do it.
    test
  17. Fantom

at the end of the day, anything you encounter on the road just driving this thing around, 9/10 times you can beat it stock...

if you're at the track, 9/10 your car aint stock... if you can drop 40 grand on an SRT8, 9/10 you dont plan to keep it stock...

i did a little more reading up on the car and damned it all to hell the car is only 30 pounds lighter than a charger... and 130 pounds lighter than a Magnum... which means it'll perform pretty much the same as the charger, which isnt bad but damn the car is a 2 door....

i still plan to cop one though maybe next year or when i'm done paying for the Mag
    test
  18. Shy

Shy a.k.a. Klear Eyed

No, most of us have at least 10 friends we know that can do the work and would do it just for fun... you don't know any?

it IS so easy. And better yet - I don't even have to do the work. I can do it like you and just buy the shit already running 11's where someone else did the work and is done with it....

Stop acting like you did anything to make your car fast.

You do know the KBB value for a 99-2000 with 60k is under 8k, right? Which means, I could EASILY get one with low miles for 6-7. And if I'm buying a car strictly for speed, I don't really care if it has 100k+ miles, so I can get one for 5k.

: (
    test
  19. Snikka

Less talk. More action.

Let me know when you think you have somthing that can beat me.
    test
  20. Shy

Shy a.k.a. Klear Eyed

Seriously? lmao You think it's hard to find a sub 12 second old car??

Fuck, my friends have 7 k in to shitty mustangs that get 11s. Some other redneck fuck that works with me has a fox-body he picked up for 5k that will have your shit standing still.

And here's what will hurt your feelings more - I can take a beat up 240, swap all for under 7g's and beat you. DSM? Even cheaper.

So stop talking. Please. People like you are the worst. Buy a fucking 12 second car and think you know shit about performance.

do some work. My mother in law's TA would kill yours and she's fucking 40 years old.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.