Do You?.......

Discussion in 'Writer's Block' started by Catch TWENTY 2, Mar 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Catch TWENTY 2

Catch TWENTY 2 Poet Extrodinaire

Do you get discouraged when you read other poets works and you re-read yours?

Like I've been reading alot of poets work here and they are so talented and their work read so much better than mine. I start to wonder do I stink at this!
    P.S. I know I'll get a smart ass in here saying I do stink at it, so here, THANK YOU in advance!
    test
  2. Czarina WiseDome

Czarina WiseDome Dikin' since 83...

I used to do that when I collabed with people.. thinking like damn.. they came really better than me!...

Now that I've evolved as a writer I look at other peoples work and better my own content.. so If you ever look at one of my posts and feel a vibe from something you wrote.. I've been peeping you!
    test
  3. RealMS

RealMS Ne te quaesiveris extra

Get discouraged? Yeeah right! But I gotta be honest-many poets I know wow me. When I write with other people for instance, its like a warm up we'd do with my writer's group-I am always amazed, literally, but it only drives me to be creative--and that sometimes is hard for me, but I always surprise me as well. I may say I dislike something I wrote, but its just self-motivation in all things I do. It's also such an inspiration to read other's pieces of art. Can't say enough about poetry, its growing rapidly.
    test
  4. absolute zero

absolute zero Among the living

I never get discouraged when reading someone elses piece...then mine. It's great to read other works, and that can only make me better, by learning different styles and approaches. I don't get down on myself because that would be like me saying "i want to write like him" I want to be myself, as a writer, person, etc....

Anyways..
    test
  5. MC_Paste

MC_Paste

I dont get discouraged... other poets help me stay humble

^^ thats a great way of sayin it... and yeah I am not really that humble...
    test
  6. Insense

Insense take one...

well your whole situation you described in your first posts has to do with your love with poetry. Sometimes people write for the wrong reasons, and not for themselves....I find that my best work is when I write for myself....and on a topic that I can relate to. Try choosing a topic that hits close to home, it will be a lot easier to get into. I use to be in your boat when I was in the RSTL....which I did win a title in...lol. The RSTL is cool and all, but I think the whole time I was writing poetry that was in the wrong forum....but just continue to grow and develop....
    test
  7. UFO the Phoenix

UFO the Phoenix I DONT BELIEVE IN ALIENS!

theres so much talent on this board it can be overwhelming at times...but I look at it like this everyone has their skill in different poetic styles....think about it like this some poets might write on levels above your own but then you may write something very unique that can only be done by you...so dont be discourage with comparing yourself with others just be yourself
    test
  8. AlmostFamous

AlmostFamous U got a problem?

first things first... when I read others poetry I go in with a open mind hoping to gain from it... and take in everything thats worth me taking in... I never, ever look at others poetry as better than mine... simply because(no Im not conceited) competition and "your better than the next" doesnt, and shouldnt exist in poetry....

like insense said write what you feel... not what others feel...

Like for example... when I post a poem on the realm and I get very valuable feedback... I take it into consideration... I dont let it mold my style...

Everyone has their opinions on your work... and even the naysayers are important... actually I feed off of criticism better than someone saying " hey that was mad nice... keep wirting" thats just stating the obvious... because regardless what they say Im gonna continue to write!! haha lol

but when someone adds criticism, depending on if its explaining why they didnt like it... it helps you see what the reader is thinking directly about your piece... but than again sometimes you will get a comment like " I just couldnt feel it... I dunno it just wasnt what i was looking for" what the fuck yo.... how does that help you develop in your writings...

thats it for now!!
    test
  9. MISSKEYdaQUEEN

MISSKEYdaQUEEN Watch the black panther..

Nope. No one can be me..no one can write like me....nobody. They could be an excellent poet bet as individuals they have their own signature appraoc and attack on a subject.

I used to feel that way more with my performance aspect of the art...but I say again..its all about manifesting the best in yourself and realizing how blessed you are to have the power to create like you do. Never feel discouraged. Just be inspired!
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.