do you write your poetry in draft first?

Discussion in 'Writer's Block' started by Quintin_Warden, May 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quintin_Warden

Quintin_Warden Online Terrorist

do you write your poetry in draft first? and then make corrections to it after?, or mabey look at it a day or two after and make corrections to it? or do you just write your poem and make a few corrections that same day and just drop it? i heard trying to correct errors after the peice is written makes it worse due to over emphasis, meaning it takes away the "feel" of the peice. What do you think?
    test
  2. lpoet

lpoet POET

usually i just write the peices when i'm sitting in the realm

but when i write a story peice i do go over it a few times...
    test
  3. the Guy with a Pen

the Guy with a Pen a Svan Production

I'm somewhat the same.
    test
  4. Mind~$oul

Mind~$oul I'm Pretty

I never go over it
    test
  5. Dark_Angel

Dark_Angel Dark_Angel

all my peices are keystyles, i hate editing. So what u see of me on the realm is how it first came out on the page..and normally i do it 5 minutes...i like to get it out quick. But its what u are happy with in the end and what u want to make of it...so if u like to correct it and perfect it, then do it
    test
  6. allnakey

allnakey Sex is no fun by yourself

I keystyle everything too. I'll post up a piece and then read over it a day or two later and correct some of the big mistakes, but other than that, the first draft is the only draft
    test
  7. ~Eloquent

~Eloquent Narcissistic....

must of the time i just write when i go...
    occasionally ill prewrite it first in my notebook
    test
  8. Tha iLLesT Bina

Tha iLLesT Bina Couldja Be Loved?

i usually never correct my works after-the-fact..just doesnt feel right...unless its some crazy ass spelling error i cant bare...
    test
  9. illpoetical

illpoetical raising the bar everyday

i'm a very technical writer in the sense that i like to read it over a few times, make sure the spelling is correct, and make sure it flows and has a good feel to it. I've been in school too long to post a piece and not proofread it. you never read any great poet that has typos and shit. i'm not saying i'm a great poet, i'm saying that part of my love of poetry is the way it is presented.
    test
  10. nathedawg

nathedawg New Member

i just fucking write and write some more, free keystyle that's it if anything needs altered than do it later i guess
    test
  11. MisterEThoughts

MisterEThoughts MysteryOfUntoldTruth

i keystyle i reewrite it just matters how i feel i reread it though for sure i work with it
    test
  12. Anaphora

Anaphora was here

Now I understand more of the poems I read in here... haha.

Honestly, I don't do as vigorous rewriting as most serious poets do, who almost never draft a poem less than 5 or 6 times, and sometimes upwards of 30.

The idea behind redrafting is that the first draft is the outline, it outlines the emotion and the idea. Then you go back in and tweak the language around, you make your points clearer, less stream of consciousness, you take out awkward phrasing, and incongruous images/mixed metaphors/things that just don't fit with the rest of the poem.

I'll usually do a rough draft, then proof it for spelling and grossly awkward phrasing, though I usually read through each part after every few lines unless I'm bursting with an idea, and just write it all down quick, then go in. Then I go through with a fine comb, checking for any problems with the linearity I didn't intend for, with making the images perfectly clear, and make sure the metaphors aren't mixed etc. Then I let it lie for a little while, few days, and go back to it and go over it all over again. I've only written a couple pieces that came out even more or less exactly how the final product turned out to be. You do need to be careful when editing though, not to take all the feeling out of a poem in the name of craft, you can't skewer all poems to the bone with the best of results. But, you can't abandon craft altogether if you want it to be a good poem, and not a journal entry poem.
    test
  13. BrokenSoul8604

BrokenSoul8604 Apparently Emotionless

I edit like crazy....

i aint ashamed of it either....

If i have a better idea in days to come, why can't i change a word, or thought, here and there?

Thats just me tho

God Bless
    test
  14. yo momma

yo momma New Member

Nope.

What I write in the quick reply box is final.
    test
  15. Cheezyy2

Cheezyy2 New Member

jism jism sup people!!!!
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.