Do you train in any martial art?

Discussion in 'MMA, Boxing & Other Combat Sports' started by Sir Bustalot, Mar 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

if so, what do you practice/train at? how long? do you feel it was worth it? do you feel what you learned was efficient?

Ive taken Karate, Tae Kwon Do in my past at a studio, both for only 1 1/2 years....i ranked up but wasnt near black belt levels

ive taken lessons in Muay Thai from a friend for about a year in his basement just after highschool....

i took 9 months of William Cheung lineage Wing chun kung fu

and for the last year ive been training Yip man Lineage Wing chun(ving tsun) kung fu and dont plan on stopping untill i reach instructor level

out of the MA i have experienced....Muay Thai and kung fu have easily been the most effective and realistic for street fighting.

i found that Tae kwon do and Karate were pretty weak in teaching real street defense and offense.....

Muay Thai was great for training you to fight, i mean right away you start bangin away and this experience for any fighter is key.

Ving Tsun kung fu has been most effective in theory. Applying it is hard. But the theory behind it is pretty flawless...
    test
  2. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

cmon, i know some of you must have taken Karate or TKD as a kid.....and i know most of you think it sucked....cuz 90% of the time it does suck untill you reach black belt levels and learn the good stuff....

i know theres a few cats who train BJJ here. Maybe even some who train MMA......

shakes head @ no replies
    test
  3. Wanderlei Sabba

Wanderlei Sabba The Strats Murderer

Muay Thai since I was around 6. Started off learning from others, and since then I've basically taught myself getting help when I can. I've sparred and trained with a lot of kickboxers, since they're a lot easier to find then muay thai practitioners, so I've also picked up a lot of stuff from them. I'd like to take a trip to thailand but I need to buckle down first and make sure I'm committed.

I've cross-trained and taught myself some things from boxing, shootfighting, wrestling, kung fu, judo, and pretty much every other form you can think of as well. To me though, it's mostly for defense and a reason to stay in shape. I'm currently into sanshou and wrestling. (you nigs wouldn't believe me if I told you one of the people that teaches me wrestling.)
    test
  4. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

looks like its just you and i

figured there would be more.........

i do know theres some cat who does Bjj.....
    test
  5. Odysseus

Odysseus a marvelous muthafucka

I been into submission grappling & wrestling since I was a freshman in highschool... thats about 8 years on & off. Due to my inconsistency, I'm probably only as good as someone doing it for waaaay less tho [funny]

Been Boxing for a couple months now
    test
  6. Wanderlei Sabba

Wanderlei Sabba The Strats Murderer

This forum has been really dead since the last event.
    test
  7. nightbird

nightbird I Do It Like It's My Job

Been doing Aikido for a while, loving it.
    test
  8. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

^^ Do you feel the techniques are reality based? could you pull them off in a real fight?

i have a friend who recently quit aikido after 4+ years

his experience was bad, but i know it could be specifically his school thats bad. He Said that even after 4+ years of training he feels the techniques are too "compliant" based, meaning your opponent has to do the right things for your techniques to work. He feels he is pretty good at aikido, but still thinks as far as martial arts goes, its pretty weak...Is this your experience?
    test
  9. eyec0n

eyec0n New Member

i train in muay thai and jitz at fight university in canada which has trainers like gary goodridge and norm bell.

i think its been worth it because the success i find in the gym i tranlate into other aspects of my life.
    test
  10. I've been boxing for 14 years.. Always been my life..
    Jitsu for 3 + years.. still doing it.
    karate for 2 years when i was 12.. lol..
    test
  11. nightbird

I think it would be pretty damn good in a fight, as well as keeping you out of a fight. It's hard to learn because its an martial art of agreement, and it takes time to build that skill. I've used aikido several times in restraining my friends from doing stupid shit. Would i be as affective against someone who trained muay or jujitsu for the same amount of time, probably not, ten years from now I imagine I'll probably be unfuckwitable. Time will tell but for now I'm really digging the art.
    test
  12. eyec0n

eyec0n New Member

^^^ karate is more of a fight ending style no? like ligiment rips and bone breaks?
    test
  13. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

^he does Aikido, which is considered a soft style, which means you basically are using soft techniques, not soft as in they dont hurt, soft as in less crashing of limbs and more manipulation using the opponents energy and fear of getting limbs/joints broken backwords..lol

and alot of Karate is basically what they call a "hard style" meaning theres alot of crashing and Limbs smashing against each other etc etc
    [youtube]LK-23qBlMpg[/youtube]

Of two equal skilled karate guys, the best techniques wont always win, strength plays a big part and body conditioning like that kyokushin karate.

i believe later on when you get passed black belt you learn the soft style methods of karate which allow a more flowing of energy type defense and attacks, these techniques help play a part in allowing smaller more weaker people to defend against larger/stronger, but this isnt all styles of karate...

alot of kung fu is soft style, to be good at soft style martial arts you need alot of skill, it isnt as easy to learn and make work. But once you can....
    test
  14. Macabre

Macabre via Fatality

Nothing wrong with soft style. Judo means "gentle way" and it has proved effective in real situations. (even jiu jitsu is basically judo with emphasis on the submissions.)

I probably wouldn't recommend aikido to most people though if you're doing it for self-defense, but if you're doing it for fun and sport it's all good. Hapkido is a better version of the shit emphasized in aikido.
    test
  15. Ben Official

Ben Official Active Member

If you really want to learn how to beat someones ass just go to karate america
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  16. Odysseus

Odysseus a marvelous muthafucka

a BJJ instructor told me that Jiu-Jitsu means gentle art... but its funny how jokingly and laid back I am whenever I do something in grappling, but I turn mean and aggressive or nervous whenever striking.

Anyone else involved in grappling & striking feel this way. I swear its like having a split personality.
    test
  17. Ben Official

Ben Official Active Member

judo means gentle way, bjj means gentle art. depending on who i roll with, i can be pretty aggressive. not to say that im using an excess amount of energy and force, but i can be far from gentle. with someone below my level im extremely relaxed and don't apply any extra pressure than i need to, but with more high energy people, and most people at or above my level (depending on who it is), i'm pretty far from gentle, meaning i will make them feel uncomfortable and put the pressure on. i get especially aggressive when someone is trying to use too much strength or is putting way too much energy and not enough technique.
    test
  18. ProFane

ProFane dB's Finest

I train at ATT Orlando.
    test
  19. exothermic

exothermic Well-Known Member

san shou/kickboxing

submittion wrestling

= me

me> ben > rest of rm
    test
  20. nightbird

Hapkido is a different version of Aikido, not necessarily better one.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.