Do you think it's hard to be a good rapper?

Discussion in 'Hip-Hop Central' started by Superman70, Aug 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Superman70

Superman70 edited

I don't think it's that hard.
    test
  2. Purple Haze

Purple Haze pop warner hof

Do you think it's hard being superman?
    test
  3. Teen Prodigy

Teen Prodigy Short2003's e-child

To be a mediocre rapper is not hard, myspace and the current state of mainstream rap music is enough to prove that.

To be a good rapper is hard, though. To be a rapper that makes you pause, or make you think while also being technically adept (flow, cadence, breath control, rhyme schemes..yadayada) is difficult.

It's not hard to be Jeezy or MIMS, but it's hard to be Budden or Royce, or Talib, or Common or Black Thought..
    test
  4. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

yea it depends on what you consider good.......it isn't hard to write clever similes and multi's, but to be a rapper, and have a unique style.......that's not easy......post a track of yours........
    test
  5. Superman70

Superman70 edited

I don't have any, never recorded a song.
    I mean, I don't expect just anyone to be able to get to the top and I'm not trying to downplay any of the greats rappers.

I think some practice is needed where presence and delivery are concerned, but as far as coming up with the lyrics and flow/rhythm, that should be easy, at least for one album. If you've ever done anything in life or had any kind of feelings/experiences, then you should have something to say. You can rap about walking down the street and have a pretty good song, in my opinion, as long as you're not monotone and you're actually being engaging/interesting with it. You just gotta put time into it (to be successful is another thing completely).

I feel that way about most things though, but I guess things always look easy until you actually try it.
    test
  6. Mask2MyFace2

Mask2MyFace2 Controversial

easier said than done.

of course it's hard...why do you think everyone and their momma wanna be a rapper? Because the shit appears easy on the outside....not easy.

Do you think it's hard to be a good anything? Yes it is so what are you talking about?
    test
  7. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

getting behind the mic is a true test........and like anything practice is needed, jordan wasn't born the best.......he had the gift, and worked harder to use it
    test
  8. Kal-EL

Kal-EL Krazed Familia

being a good rapper is easy....bein a good ARTIST is hard. being a good rapper (Cassidy) is easy, being a good artist (Andre 3000, Eminem, Jay-Z, Rakim, etc) is hard. Anyone with something to say can be a good rapper. A few multi's, punchlines, flow, voice...and you're in there. But to put all that in one, and view things from an obscene point of view, that would get people interested, and do it in a way that would be SUPERIOR to the masses....is hard.

for lack of better words....Im drunk right now....lol
    test
  9. YuNG WaLT

YuNG WaLT GhettoChild Ambassador

Mask said it best...bein good at anything is hard...

but as far as rappin goes...whats considered "good" is VERY subjective...and mostly based on personal opinion...

and bein just "good" is probably the easiest part..

but bein a successful...respected...and most importantly SUPPORTED rapper...might be the hardest part of all...

why...cuz its not in the rappers control..and has more to do with luck/timing then anything else.
    test
  10. Noncentz

Noncentz Sieg Heil, M'fer!

Very hard...

Rap is easy, if you just want to do it - but to like appeal to millions of people? Yeah, it's not just your "rapping" it's Charisma and shit too.

You take a flawless rapper with no Charisma, he's still shit (Canibus comes to mind)

you take a somewhat mediocore rapper with lots of Charisma he's going to be a star - like 50 Cent for example...
    test
  11. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

its real easy for people to think they are good
    test
  12. Superman70

Superman70 edited

That's the point.

You think it is, I don't think being good at anything is hard. Anything is possible if you put your mind and time into it.

Kal-el is kinda saying what I mean. So is Walt for the most part.
    I think the true artists are hard to reach, but I'm not talking about being the best of the best. I just mean being respected and making generally good music. Being successful is the hard part.
    test
  13. K Muze

K Muze You'll Never Guess Who

Rapping is like any of the 9 elements. Its a skill, that takes practice. Alot of the rappers we hear nowadays, it may seem like they suck (because they do, we know better), but to them they are spitting what they are taught to do. They grew up
    listening to cats spit like that, prolly got mentored by dudes who rap like that, they
    write rap like that, freestyle, etc.

Look inside yourself. Could you duplicate Paul Wall or Mike Jones without research
    and training? I doubt it. You would have to listen, and look at the lyrics, study the
    scansion, subject matter, etc. Because unless you grew up listening to that kind
    of rap and are around it all the time, you won't get it.

But good writing and good performance are skills. The most successful RAPPERS of all time do more than just rap. but its cuz they put that on AUTOMATIC so they could focus on diversifying their income.
    test
  14. It's hard for some and easier for others.

Tallent plays a big part in it. Those who don't have tallent, but are okay enough to stand in the underground have a harder time keeping their heads above water as far as making a living off this music.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.