Do you have a favorite move or combo you do?

Discussion in 'MMA, Boxing & Other Combat Sports' started by Bonnie Bathory, Jan 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

Just like if you're an NFL receiver... The route you're supposed to run is a slant but they jam u and u never get to the slant, U DID NOT RUN A SLANT. that's common sense. Be f'real.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  2. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

when you string more than one move together, thats called a combo...plain and simple
    test
  3. Ben Official

Ben Official Active Member

lmao ARE YOU KIDDING ME.

ok look. your ASSUMING that the combo isn't working... wtf are you talking about.... so what if the combo does work??? what if ABAC does work? THEN its a combo? what does that have to do with bjj? your saying a combo has to fully be completed to be called a combo and that no combo is fully completed ever in bjj? that is totally wrong and makes no sense if thats what your trying to say.

the fact that the fighter WENT for ABAC in the FIRST PLACE makes it a combo... it DOESNT MATTER if the combo was completed or not, he STILL WENT FOR THE COMBO..

omfg
    test
  4. Ben Official

zakly
    test
  5. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

So if somebody just starts free swinging, is that a combo? Sorry, i can't agree w/ that...
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  6. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

nobody said anything about anybody free swinging...

and stringing more than one move together is a combo
    test
  7. Ben Official

lmao no... if somebody is freely swinging their fists, thats not a combo. a combo is a planned attack mode, a planned route of attacks, its not arguable dude lol this is common knowledge. a combo is a coordinated sequence of moves. plain and simple. thats what it is. are you reading any of my posts? im saying the same thing in every post. tell your instructor that theres no such thing as a combo in bjj. see what he says.
    test
  8. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

No, i'm saying what you're calling a combo is not a combo. THAT IS WHAT I'M SAYING. u're talking about stringing different transitions together IF YOUR OPPONENT DOES THIS OR THIS OR THIS. that's strategizing. That's reacting off what they're giving u.

You're naming a whole bunch of "if he does this, the I'ma do this... if he does this... then I'ma do this..." That's just transitioning.... BECAUSE THERE IS AN IF.

again, if a coach tells u to do ABAC and u only get AB off and the rest gets stuffed.... YOU DID NOT JUST DO THE COMBO.

So if you're building a car and and stopped halfway, did u just build the car? NO!

Just like if u were trying to do a jab, straight, jab, hook combination and stopped at the straight. U DID NOT DO THE COMBINATION.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  9. Ben Official

i see what you are saying, but you are wrong. what i described is a combo. it is a sequence of moves stringed together in order to pull off one after the other until one works. it came from my professor who got it from rickson, if you are trying to dispute that, go tell rickson his techniques aren't what he calls them.
    test
  10. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

No, i'm proving that guys definition is wrong. He said it's just a string of attacks and I'm proving it is not because free swinging with 5 hooks is still a string of attacks.

YEAH, and my point is, if u plan these attacks and did not go through with them, u didn't not do the attack u planned. MEANING U DID NOT DO THE COMBO.

Here's another example. If u planned to do a hook, jab, uppercut combo and on the hook, u knocked 'em out. Just because u planned a jab and an uppercut afterwards, it was still a combo? WTF?
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  11. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

hahaha... that's hatd to do... lol
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  12. Ben Official

omfg yes dude it was still a combo.... he went for the combo.. that was his plan... his plan was to do a hook jab uppercut combo, if he knocks him out on the hook it still means he went for the combo and it was indeed a combination... it was not a completed combo but that was a combo because he went for a combo. do you understand?

if the fighter had no intentional plan and just felt it out and swang, thats not a combo.

your saying there aren't any combos in bjj, thats what you initially said. you said there are only set ups not combos. that is wrong. please just take it in and move on. you learn something new every day.

a combo is a pre-planned sequence of moves. even if you go for the combo and it doesn't work, you still went for the combo. i can't understand your logic. please just take it and move on...

if you don't want to call it a combo, don't call it a combo. if you want to believe 2+2=5, then believe it. i don't care. but that doesn't make it true.
    test
  13. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

I seriously don't understand ur logic either. That would be like someone saying they're going to work tomorrow at 9 am and the guy doesn't go to work yet you're still saying he did just because he planned it.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  14. Ben Official

ok if i go for the combo, i go for the combo. it doesn't work? ok then call it a combo that doesn't work. lets say i go for the combo and it does work... lets say i have someone mounted. i reach my right hand across their neck to their collar as in an X choke, he blocks, i know that he would try to block, because i trained this specific string of moves before. i know that i would either choke him out or he would block it, if he blocked it i continue the combination to the next move that i planned out, if he doesnt block it i stop the combination there and choke him out. since he put his hand up to block, i push it across his body and switch my position to S mount to set up the arm bar. i grab his arm and pull it close to my chest (skipping details to get to the point). once i have his arm, i take my left arm and slide it across his neck to the floor, forcing him to turn his head, if he doesnt turn his head it will choke him, ending the combo there. once his head is turned to the side i can safely throw my left leg around and complete the arm bar, ending the combination.

^that is how we train that arm bar. we go for the choke first. we really try to get the choke, if he blocks we push it across. if he doesnt block we choke him out. all along the combination theres steps where if he doesn't block them we tap them out. that is a combination. if i tap him with the 2nd choke i go for in setting up the arm bar, then it was still a combination because i specifically planned out all of this. i planned to go for the choke and then the arm bar if he blocks. that is a combination. that is no debatable. that is a combination. you can call it what you want to call it. it is a combination by definition. im so sick of discussing this. if you dont understand, you dont understand. its a combo, accept it or dont accept it, but that is a combo.

if you train jab hook uppercut and you start throwing that combination in a fight and catch him on the hook, you still went for the combination.
    test
  15. Thats a great way to explain it..
    test
  16. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

That's how I train too. Go for one move and when they block or escape, look for somethin' else... Transition to somethin' else... Keep goin' 'til u get the sub. U almost do chess drills.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  17. Ben Official

and that is called a combination my friend.

*unless you just transition on the fly without having previously planned your moves, or thought about it 3 or 4 moves ahead. but even then one could call it a combo it you pulled off a sick smooth string of transitions.

so it is agreed then... there ARE combinations in bjj
    test
  18. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

hahahahaha... yeah, i usually preplan while i'm doin' the moves... Sometimes u see something and grab for it or go for it that wasn't in the plan... ESPECIALLY if ur rolling buddy screws up 'n leaves something for u...
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  19. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

people are fuckin dumb
    i am not saying free swinging is a combo, read my posts, i never said that once.

if someone throws more than 1 move "in combination", basically meaning they planned it, then IT WAS A COMBO...

If your coach screamed out ABCD and you only got to finish B before you get stuffed you still did an A-B combination.....

combos arent locked down to certain moves. Anything can be a combo. If i want to throw a jab-cross-hook-roundhouse kick and get stuffed at the roundhouse, i still threw a jab-cross-hook combo...if you cant understand that then you are mentally retarded
    test
  20. Ben Official

lol yeah. im not sure where he picked up swinging wildly was a combo but im pretty sure he got the point... he just didn't directly say it but i think he realizes it now
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.