Do you have a favorite move or combo you do?

Discussion in 'MMA, Boxing & Other Combat Sports' started by Bonnie Bathory, Jan 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben Official

Ben Official Active Member

^lmao that doesnt really sound like a combo to me

and yes, i have tons and tons of combos. bjj is all about combos
    test
  2. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

^ I don't really look @ it as combos. More like setups...
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  3. Ben Official

no, i definitely have combos. its not a set up. a set up is where you bate them into doing something you want them to do. a combo is a series of sweeps or submissions where if one doesn't work you go to the next, to the next, to the next, etc.

for example:
    a set up i commonly do: when in my opponents guard, ill sometimes hang my arm back a little and twist my body so they try to throw on a triangle, but im waiting for that so as soon as they open their guard i scoop the legs and pass

another set up: in half guard on top, i face away (towards their legs) and hold my arm on the ground against their back, setting them up for an apparent sweep. but im waiting for that, as soon as they bring their arm around to grab i take it and slap on a kimura.

a combo: from crooked guard- first go for americana, if it doesnt work they will either 1. straighten their arm in which case i go for a straight arm lock with figure 4 grip. if that still doesn't work and they throw their arm into me move down to gripping their elbow and trap their wrist between my neck and shoulder and finish. if they instead base into me and throw their weight on me, i put my left foot on their hip while biting down on the top of their neck with my right leg throwing them off base and throwing on a basic straight arm bar. or if they base and leave their arm in the middle of my chest i switch to americana on the other arm or turn their hand over and push my hips out for a wrist lock. if they resist or squeeze out they just set themselves up for a basic sweep which i get and progress to mount

^thats a pretty big combo i do a lot

another combo: in half guard (on top) first grab under their head, pull them in grab collar on back of neck, grab their back or their belt with other hand, sprawl weight out, choke. if they defend by throwing their arm between him and my body, i trap it, put my left foot flat on the floor, knee up, throw hips in and arm bar. if they instead tuck their chin and throw their arm under my arm, i switch my hips, trap their arm to their body by grabbing their pants, and face their legs. throw right hand in their leg, if they fight it, they set themself up for a knee bar so i spin and take that. if they let me open, i take my leg out and move to side control.

a real basic one: this is a progression of the mount rickson loves to do. i do it as well. in cross body, face their legs. if they have their leg up on their knee blocking me from going to mount, i grab the foot resting on the other legs knee, and pull it towards their face (hurts like a bitch). from here they will either tap from that or kick their leg out (which im waiting for). as they kick their leg out they open up and i swing over and go to mount.

another really basic one: in mount, go for americana. if they roll on their side and grab that arm with their other arm, i swing my leg over and take that arm for a regular straight arm bar.

i can go on for dayyssss of combos i do. they aren't set ups. its a combo in that i go for one thing, but i really go for it, i dont just set them up. if i get it then i get it. if i dont, then the only thing they can do i have a move for and i use that to move to the next thing, if that doesnt work, theres only a couple options they can do, i have moves planned for all of them. a set up is doing something with no intentions of actually getting it just to bate them into something else.
    test
  4. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

i dunno. i don't consider anything in jiu jitsu combos. i consider what u say combos as transitions. transition well from one set up to another....
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  5. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

Oh yeah, and IMO opinion, during setups u are really going for moves but they're with the intent that they will defend so u go lock something else. so i think it's no different from what u're calling a combo IMO.

When i go for set ups, it's not like i'm half assing a move. i'm really goin' for 'em.

Another example is when u go for the kimora in the guard. That is a very often blocked move. So while u go for the kimora, the moment they block it, u take ur leg that u have on their back (so they don't roll out) and place ur shin against their ribcage. U pull the opposite leg out that was on the hip and quickly step ur leg over the arm u were attempting to kimora and turn it into an arm bar facing down.... It's still setups imo.

And the americana "combo" from the mount u were talking about. If someone turns to reach for their other arm, u could also triangle them from the mount the minute they pull their arm across...
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  6. Ben Official

yep you could go for a triangle i was just giving a short example. but they are called combos, everyone i know calls them combos, every gym i've been to calls them combos, every book i read they are combos, every video combos, they are combos. but if you call everything a setup, cool. but its a combo. lol
    test
  7. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

I just look @ it in comparison to striking... AABC combos or whatever... When u do a combo, u follow through regardless of the reaction and if u don't, u didn't complete the combination.

In jiu-jitsu, u 100% have to work on what's given to u. And being that more often than not u can't work straight through a planned combo more often than not because things usually don't go exactly as planned, I find it I can't call it.a combo. Just me.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  8. Ben Official

yeah but AABC IS a combo lol... not a set up.. you just said it yourself. whatevs
    test
  9. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

I know. But my point is, in jiu-jitsu, WAYYYYY more often than not, u aren't gonna get off a planned "AABC".
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  10. Ben Official

even so, what does that matter? its still a combo. whether it works or not its still a combo
    test
  11. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

I disagree. Cuz u didn't complete it. If u were supposed to do an ABAC combo and halfway through it, it got shut down, u did not do the combo. That's how I look @ it at least.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  12. Ben Official

agree to disagree. its not really subjective as far as im concerned but WHATEVA BROTHA

if a combo gets stopped halfway through its not a combo? i dont get your thinking. if a combo gets stopped halfway through it means the combo got stopped halfway through, it doesn't mean it wasn't a planned out combo in the first place.

look at it how you want to G, you can look at the sky as pink for all i care
    test
  13. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

I said u didn't complete it. Basically, what I'm saying is that jiu-jitsu combos aren't realistic because you can never predict the exact reaction. Basically, u just keep in mind what submission u go for and react to how they defend and transition from there. I don't believe that's a combo. It's transitioning and setups transitioning into another submission. That's how I look @ it...
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  14. Ben Official

totally disagree. you can completely predict a lot of combos man. there are only a number of options you can counter a move with. and when you calculate out all of them and have plans for everything, the combo will work most of the time. of course if you apply it imperfectly or they do a move you hadn't planned for you move to something else, its still a combo though lol. it doesn't matter if you don't think jiu jitsu combos work or not, they are still planned out combos. im not sure whats hard to get. its still a planned out combo it doesnt matter if it works 0% of the time its still a combo.
    test
  15. Bonnie Bathory

Bonnie Bathory New Member

chamber? im just posting random threads in slow forums 2 up traffic...
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  16. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

Again, i don't consider that a combo. If a coach yells @ u to do an ABCD combo and at B, u got stopped for whatever reason, the coach is gonna say why didn't u do the combo? Cuz what it will look like is AB but u were just told to do ABCD. So all in all, u did not do the combo.

Again, I do think like that when I'm rolling. I'll go after one submission and think... "if he does this, I'ma do this..." But again, that's just transitioning based on them reacting a certain way.

Just like in striking... to me a combo would be jab/jab/uppercut. And for u to actually use that combo, u have to complete it. If u're fighting reactionary, u're not gonna think out a combination. You'll think... I'ma jab 'em 'n if keeps his hands high i'm follow with a leg kick but if he get hit with the jab 'n opens up i'm follow with a hook. That isn't a combo. That's reacting to what they give u. A huge difference.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  17. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

@ least that's how i look @ it.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  18. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

i dont train MMA or wrestling/bjj, kick boxing, boxing...nor do i want to. But most of my life ive been involved in some sort of martial art from karate to kung fu.

most recently, ive been training Wing Chun for 2 years

i let them the opponent tell me what to do, atleast thats how we train, so i dont really have a combo i think about..... i dont think im super tough, nor do i want to enter the ring. But im sure i can handle myself as much as i need too being a regular person, im pretty confident in my skills so far

I am also very good at most types of kicks. I dont work on any combos involving kicks, but when sparring with people who dont know what they are doing- kicking effectively is easy as pie lol. Ive been training kicking for over 15 years, from Tae kwon do style kicking to Muay Thai...
    test
  19. Ben Official

I'm beginning to think you have no idea what your talking about. Whether YOU personally call it a combo is not the qustion. Its called a combo, its not subjective, its a combo no matter what you personally think it is. Its a combo. Case closed.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  20. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

Of course I don't know what I'm talking about yet I can talk indepth on techniques, submission defense, transitions, and more.

Sorry, if the combo was supposed to be ABAC and u did not just do ABAC and got cut short to AB then u did not just do the combo. If u do not see that, u're blind.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.