Do you have a favorite move or combo you do?

Discussion in 'MMA, Boxing & Other Combat Sports' started by Bonnie Bathory, Jan 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bonnie Bathory

Bonnie Bathory New Member

Tell me the style... and your favorite move/combo
    test
  2. Mac Sabbath

Mac Sabbath New Member

Muay thai. I have a ton of em.

As for favs... I really like anything that ends by sending a hook to the body and follow with an uppercut. Very Tysonesque.

I've been learning to mix stand up and wrestling a little bit, which creates a lot of opportunities. You can feign a takedown, make a person drop their hands, and swing back up with a hook.

I've always liked to keep my kicks below the waist. Chop away and use it sort of like a boxer does his jab. Favorite kick is definitely the front kick, and my favorite punch is a hook.
    test
  3. Langford

Langford New Member

haha. you're starting a lot of topics lately, aren't you?

leg sweep + hurricane kick
    test
  4. Cognitive D.K

Cognitive D.K New Member

im a fan of what teddy atlas calls the 6 shooter

when you have the opponent backed into the cage/ring/corner, you pepper the body with a barage of hooks (4 to 6) and look for the hands to drop to protect the body , then launch an uppercute through the hands for the finish

i have personally perfected a 4 strike combo that sets up a viscious right hook, it is one of the more basic 4 punch combos youll learn (left jab, straight right, left hook body, right hook head)

in a street fight i love headbutting someones face in

i liked the knee/hook combo overeem knocked hari down the first time with, but im not tall , quick or flexible enough to pull that off

i can kick to the head, but im not sure how much damage it would do to anyone over 6 feet tall other than look cool

im a very strong wrestler but i never get to practice grappling/rolling anymore because i quit going to my (MMA) gym a year ago and none of my friends will wrestle/roll with me, but i dominate on the mat
    test
  5. Mac Sabbath

Mac Sabbath New Member

Good stuff.

I'm good at overwhelming people by moving in and out of the pocket at will. Front kicks and elbow strikes are underused even by Muay Thai guys.

That was dope as fuck. I couldn't believe Hari got handled like that, but Overeem's really improved since his move to HW.

I can do it, but it's taking a big chance against someone with experience. If you don't end it, you're screwed for a split second until you can reassume your stance.

I've always been surprised that you don't see people capitalize more on missed roundhouse kicks in MMA.
    test
  6. Chamberfool

Chamberfool HAhahAHahaHAhahaHhaha

Ohhh all of a sudden bonnie is into MMA!

your a usual suspect you know that toots?
    test
  7. Cognitive D.K

Cognitive D.K New Member

yes especially when the guy slowly cautiously circles back around to recoup stance

forrest does it constantly, im surprised nobody has taken adv of that before
    test
  8. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

The reason people are sometimes weary to attack when someone misses a kick is because it can be followed immediately by a spinning backfist or a spinning sidekick (see George St. Pierre). But I would like to see more fighters go for takedowns when this happens and take their back.

I'm never into combos that are premeditated because everyone reacts different but on the ground, an easy setup for arm bars is putting the sharp part of you're forearm on someones neck w/ your entire weight on it (from the mount). Usually the inital reaction is to push you off because it's extremely uncomfortable. When the arm extends, u get a deep hook and go into an s mount into an arm bar.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  9. Cognitive D.K

Cognitive D.K New Member

i disagree with premeditated combos etc

when forrest beat page, he would commit to a combo , you could tell, and sometimes maybe only the 4th strike would connect , sometimes 3 of 5 but he would commit to them and was successful, alot of times just practicing a particular combo enough times ingrains it into your memory and snapping one off in a fight just is 2nd nature at that point
    test
  10. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

I do see it happen. Don't get me wrong. I still don't think it's the best strategy in fighting. Again, every fighter will react to a combo in a different way. If you go in with an a,a,b,c combo (just an example); one person may react to it one way and take the shot but another person may defend it differently and it may leave you vulnerable to getting knocked out.

Anderson Silva is a prime example. Probably thee best striker in the UFC. His strikes rarely look premeditated. It looks like he looks @ the defense of a fighter and sets up combinations based on what the opponent leaves open based on what they're defending. Premed combos are too mechanical IMO. Not saying they never work but I think in fighting or anything in life, you should take what they give. Read Sun Tzu's The Art of War about the water flow and all that. Basically explains it to perfection.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  11. I've boxed since I was 12.. Im 25 next month and I believe strongly in premeditated combo's.. Especially if you have studied your opponent.. If you know how they react to a certain punch its nice for your Punch, Knee, Or Foot to react to the exact same spot..
    test
  12. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

I respect your opinion but I've been enough martial artists to know that you always take what you're given. Sometimes, you're doin' a premeditated combo and they're already blocking a certain area that you're going for... What's the point in that? You strike where the openings are and react to what your opponent is doing and how they're moving.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  13. Cognitive D.K

Cognitive D.K New Member

i think we may be confusing 'premeditated' with committed to here

committing to a combo doesnt mean youve been thinking about it for the last 10 minutes it just means you had something in mind and were finishing the sequence
    test
  14. ProFane

ProFane dB's Finest

I love throwing my legs up for a high triangle and quickly switching my hips for an armbar. if you time it well then your opponent trys to muscle out of creating options for scrambles. I've taken so many backs just from over committing on a triangle/armbar. Im trying to perfect a series of moves that include these attacks. i have a very active guard for someone of my size.
    test
  15. Blitz_krieg

Blitz_krieg SAY WHA.........

whipping out my cock...
    that usually scare my opponets away or the laugh them selfs to death...
    test
  16. I understand what your saying.. U cant have your whole fight planned out.. if thats the case, your gonna get your ass kicked.. You do strike where the openings are.. what i was saying is if the opening is a left hook, some people will react a certain way each time they get hit with the left hook.. and if you know how they are going to react (By studing them).. its nice to already have the next punch committed.. But its different for everybody..
    test
  17. KaTZ

KaTZ Active Member

body slam
    test
  18. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

That honestly only works when you're goin' against an amateur. Most of the time, the moment people start goin' for the triangle, the person posts up or is trying to posture up so quick that it's hard to control their posture enough to get the arm bar deep enough for it to be effective. And if u do control the posture enough, there's a good chance u already have the triangle locked. Then again, I go for triangles the least because most of the people I roll w/ are much bigger than me and they find it easier to posture up. When I have someone in my guard I'm usually thinking sweeps before anything and then kimoras, omoplatas, or arm bars.

I REALLY REALLY wanna learn the rubber guard to perfection but don't know anyone great at it enough to.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  19. ProFane

ProFane dB's Finest

Yes you are very correct. i dont fight professionally so the only thing i can base my experience on is amateurs. still it is my go to move and im good at transitioning from a Triangle to an Armbar. i've done the moves so many times i am very fluent in it. usually i dont even try to lock the triangle up i throw it up for the posture toss my hips up grab and pull.
    test
  20. thaRooster

thaRooster hahahahahhaha NO!

mine would have to be simply tangling with my opponent and ultimately taking him down with my superior strangth and wrestling/judo. than getting on top in full mount, and than this is where the combo comes into play. vicious gnp. a barrage of hammer fists, elbows, and straight punches to the face. they can try and block but many of them will get through, and punching someones hands into their own face hurts regardless.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.