Do you fucks ever hurt yourselves at the gym?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by JASON ANTHONY, Mar 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JASON ANTHONY

JASON ANTHONY White Devil

I try to use good form, but every so often I pull, strain, or overwork something and I pay for it anywhere from one day to 2 weeks.

I fucked up my back a couple of weeks ago and my shit was painful. I needed like 2 weeks to recoup. Shit hurt.
    test
  2. zyclon B gas

zyclon B gas sososerious

yeah. my saying is when i was fat, i was ok. once i got in shape i started to get injured.

always gotta have good form though. if your shoulders are rolling forward or you're leaning forward, if your body is turning, etc. then you probably are using too much weight and need to reduce your load. it's not embarassing to go a little lighter. make sure you always spend at least 10-20 minutes foam-rolling and stretching before working out and after working out, and stay hydrated.

injuries will occur, you can just work to prevent them. i've pulled my groin, bent my thumb backwards, given myself a herniated disk in my neck...shit just happens sometimes.
    test
  3. The Steve

The Steve Space monkey I am not

Well I always warm up for at least 5 or 10 minutes, and like Zyclon said some stretching before hand is good.

If you do go overboard pop some Ibuprofen to reduce any swelling and ice the shit out of the affected area. Also more light stretching.

I'm regularly sore in different areas, I don't notice or just try not to pay much attention to it anymore.
    test
  4. The Steve

Oh and make sure you're getting plenty of rest and taking your vitamins.
    test
  5. JASON ANTHONY

Yeah I do all of the above. I know for a fact though that when I hurt my back is was because I was lifting too much. I'm getting used to the constant muscle soreness, but sometimes I just have to leave the gym and try again tomorrow when something doesn't feel right. Today it was my elbow. Shit was throbbing.
    test
  6. The Steve

I developed tennis elbow for the first time about a month ago. It's fucking stupid. I've rested it, iced it, etc and it's still fucked.

It hurts to lift a gallon of milk or fully extend my arm. I need to pick up an elbow sleeve and may go get it checked out too.
    test
  7. zyclon B gas

zyclon B gas sososerious

you gotta stretch your elbow in different ways, ice and heat it, take ibuprofen, and just give it rest - aka no max weights.

that's what happened to my elbow last year and couldn't use my arm for about 6 months. pressure from my elbow was compressing my ulnar nerve. the swelling has gone down substantially, but the pain is still there sometimes. i'll eventually have to get surgery, just tryin to wait until i have my 6 pack lol.
    test
  8. JASON ANTHONY

Mine isn't that bad. The pain has already gone away, but at the time I just couldn't finish my work out. Stace is worried I'm going to permanently injure myself. I keep telling her I'm just working out, but she doesn't buy it.
    test
  9. Thrizzy

Thrizzy 3.T.

Nah man form is one thing I don't play with, every rep I do is with impeccable form.

Though a few years ago I did drop a 45 Lb. plate on my big toe.

Caused I would imagine a stress fracture, acts up if I jump rope a lot.
    test
  10. -GZ-

-GZ- Posts Unfunny Pics

tore a ligament in my wrist doing benching dumbbells...lost my grip a little bit and my wrist overextended...

still hindering my lifting four months later
    test
  11. GaLaTeA

GaLaTeA GymArt

Of all the injuries over the years...I'd have to say that injuring my trapezius muscle was the worst.
    test
  12. JASON ANTHONY

Working out is dangerous all of the sudden.
    test
  13. GaLaTeA

GaLaTeA GymArt

Accidents happen.....shit happens. :funny:
    test
  14. The Steve

Dude. 6 months??? You can go ahead and shoot me now :funny:

I picked up an elbow sleeve and I'm hoping it will help, at least some. I gotta go heavy and hard, it's my biggest stress reliever.

We put a bunch of money on our health savings account this year for my lasik surgery, I'm afraid to go get my arm checked out because I don't want to end up blowing my eye money on my elbow.
    test
  15. JASON ANTHONY

smashed my finger under a dumbbell today

blood everywhere
    test
  16. zyclon B gas

zyclon B gas sososerious

6 months was just how long i was out. it still hurts occasionally, but i deal with it. i used a sleeve for a while, but it doesn't really do anything. you gotta take ibuprofen, ice and heat it and stretch it out. I'm tellin you, take some time off from using it and it'll get better faster. (people recommend 2-3 weeks).

and i know what you mean about saving HSA money. I have 3,000 in mine last year, went through 2,500 of it. Between last August and December, I had $25,000 in medical bills....from my arm.

Good luck. hope it's only tennis elbow. I have a torn elbow capsule and a herniated disk in my neck still. surgery is inevitable on my arm, but if you can deal, good.
    test
  17. SinLuciano

SinLuciano El Capitan

I twist my ankle playin' ball once in awhile. Never injured myself working out though and I've been up to 415 lbs. deadlifts and 285 off the bench (I'm only 160 lbs.)

Best advice would be to work your way up in weights instead of trying to do more then you should be. Get a back brace / belt for lower back workouts like deadlifts and good mornings and whatnot, also. Even use it during squats.

Make sure you eating right before & after the gym.
    test
  18. SinLuciano

SinLuciano El Capitan

How did you do that?

Also I'd recommend a workout partner / spotter to anybody who lifts weights.
    test
  19. JASON ANTHONY

I smashed it between the dumbbell and the rack it was on. I went to lift it up and I dropped it down a little too soon.

It's a little purple, but I'm back at it today.
    test
  20. SinLuciano

SinLuciano El Capitan

Way to be a warrior my guy. That's what I like to hear.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.