Do you continue to work out if sore?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Barrax, Mar 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. p. haze

p. haze slap boxed with jesus

Work smarter not harder.
    test
  2. LiveFromThe781

LiveFromThe781 Don Of The Den

not working hard will be the downfall of any gym goer
    test
  3. Got Life?

Got Life? Resident Megalomaniac

that might work for pilates or something, but not if you're trying to see gains.
    test
  4. Purple Haze

Purple Haze pop warner hof

why do shmucks insist to argue with me?

it doesn't matter how hard you work.. if you doing the wrong shit you won't see go results.
    test
  5. LiveFromThe781

the biggest people at every gym ive been to have been guys who dont use logbooks dont count tempo dont do all that other bullshit. what do they do? they lift fucking hard. a dork mentality in a place ruled by testosterone isnt going to work out. the smallest people at every gym ive been to are these 120 pounders who walk around with log books probaly the product of all the bodybuilding forums who think everyone is on steroids because they can bench over 300 lbs and still eat mcdonalds. working hard is the only thing that will get you anywhere in the gym, or anywhere in life for that matter. there is no almighty program that will bear you greatest gains if done, you can only gain so much anyway and no matter how good your program is or how good you think it is you arent going to do shit with it if you dont work your ass off.
    if you dont think so id love to see your lift numbers or any pictures...since you always seem to think youre right but havent posted either when just about everyone else who posts here has.

i discussed something very similar on another board http://www.t-nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=1990394
    test
  6. Gorilla Nasty

Gorilla Nasty I'm lame TBH

I agree with the above post. Hard work is a necessity. If you're not training hard, it's all for nothing because ever time you lift, you need to somehow go above and beyond what you did the time before. It's obviously the only way to see gains assuming all other factors are even.

But at the same time to say that dieting and supplementation are non-factor is horribly wrong. To break it down, one of the main functions of diet and supplementation is to optimize testosterone in the body and minimize estrogen. Those will translate into quicker progress. In terms of musculature, I can zoom right passed a guy who lifts heavier but eats garbage, even though I lift significantly less because my internally, my body would be the optimal environment conducive to gaining/maintaining muscle.

Lift numbers don't mean anything unless those are your goals. Bigger numbers don't necessarily translate into a better physique.
    test
  7. LiveFromThe781

diet is case specific. if youre a young guy with a fast metabolism you can and should eat whatever you want. obviously if you put on fat very easily you need to watch what you eat.

i dont think supplements do shit. ive been on and off them and havent see a damn difference. ive also been on and off strict diets and havet seen a damn difference, to add to what i was saying earlier. you wont be zooming by someone who lfits heavy and eats garbage because things like mcdonalds have a shitload of calories which is exactly what you want if youre trying to grow. perhaps for overall health its not the best choice, thats a given but if its strictly packing on muscle its a good choice. im going to start trying to eat a lot more of it myself.

lift numbers have everything to do with size. so long as you eat if you lift heavy weights you will be big. ive never seen someone lifting lightweight that was huge. im not talking for 1 rep either, show me what youre doing for 5 or 7 reps.
    test
  8. LeKCheR

LeKCheR Active Member

No No No..... U dont work out the same muscles more then once a week... set up something for yourself like I do.

Monday- Chest
    Tuesday-Back and Bis
    Wed- Shoulders/Traps
    Thursday-Tris
    Friday-Forearms and Legs
    Saturday- Light Chest

Only thing u can work out everyday are Abs and Forearms..

Gotta give your muscle groups time to heal..... So if you'd like, try out that routine then every couple of weeks mix it up and try and find new ways of working muscles out.
    test
  9. Gorilla Nasty

Gorilla Nasty I'm lame TBH

You're wrong. Flat out.

You're leaving out important factors like maintaining muscle and the quality of muscle.

I remember going on a bulk when I was about 19. I had got to be pretty big. I was about 180 Lbs.. I was eating tons of bread, tuna, milk, vegetables, etc, etc. Nedless to say, I was big, but in a softer way.

Then a few years ago I did it all on a strict diet of just meat, vegetables, rice and water. I was also taking Protandim, which was very expensive ($50 a month) but IMO a great supplement. In that same time frame, I had put on about 10 Lbs. of probably the highest quality lean muscle. I was big, but at the same time lean. Obviously smaller than at 180.

But my numbers at 165 were better than at 180. Why? Because I wasn't wasting workouts, and I wasn't wasting muscle. I was bypassing having to cut at all and just putting on lean muscle. But hey, if you think diet makes no difference go ahead.

But you're 100% wrong. I don't care who you are, diet can play a huge role. I don't want to get into a long post, but it's common sense- Eat all that fast food and you're getting tons of empty calories. Will you still see results? Sure. But they'll be significantly slower to the tune of 5-10 (or more) Lbs. less muscle per year
    test
  10. LiveFromThe781

i guess thats why so many people who compete in strongman or powerlifting still eat fast food...cause those guys are so weak.

calories are calories, if youre an ectomorph you need to eat everything but i still stay away from polyunsaturates and trans fats. also when you cant afford to eat all that meat (yes its expensive i was on a strict protein/fat diet) or you dont want to be in the fucking house all day cooking it. and sure if you ate nothing but wild game high in EFA's, tuna, and cage-free hen eggs youd look a lot better and leaner than someone eating BK and shit. difference is not everyone can afford to do that.

right now my goal is to get as much food into my system as possible. im an ectomorph so its the hardest thing for me to gain weight, i would kill for a pound or two. and it boggles my mind because ive been lifitng significantly higher for months and still i weigh the same. like ive added 100lbs to my deadlift.

i dont see any evidence to suggest you will lose weight on your lifts via eating whatever. however, i can almost guarantee that someone who takes fast food instead of no food (since it isnt healthy) when presented, is going to run laps around that person who would rather starve than eat fast food. if youre looking to add weight, both to your frame and to the bar, you need to eat. end of story.
    test
  11. -GZ-

-GZ- Posts Unfunny Pics

to answer the original question, fuck yea

it helps me get rid of lingering soreness on occasion
    test
  12. Ben Official

Ben Official Active Member

and the person who eats healthy food instead of not eating will run laps around the person who chooses fast food rather than not eating.
    test
  13. p. haze

p. haze slap boxed with jesus

[​IMG]

I just ethered all ya'll little arguments.

carry on peons.
    test
  14. LiveFromThe781

depends what your defination of "healty foods" is. wild meat loaded with protein and EFAs, yea, ive already said that that is one of the best things to eat. simple and unarguable fact is that food high in protein, fat, and carbohydrates are going to help you put on the greatest amount of muscle mass, end of story. if youre a fat guy concerned with appearance then i suggest you take a different route. if youre a fat guy who doesnt care or a skinny guy in general then you should be eating as much meat, carbs, nuts, and even berries for good measure as possible. show me anyone whos put on significant mass that doesnt eat like that, and for purple haze, show me anyone thats put on mass that doesnt train hard. shit show me YOUR pictures.
    test
  15. Your Idol

Your Idol ♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠

just hit up an ellipticle for a day or two if it's a bad pain like you injured somethin or try something that won't give much stress on the joints. don't try to overwork yourself and get injured.
    test
  16. absolute zero

absolute zero Among the living

tiger balm is that shit dude lol. my daddy's viet and he stayed havin a steady supply of that shit. works like magic.
    test
  17. rocker314

rocker314 Rock Star

how bout white flower? it smells good too :D
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.