Do you, and if so, how often do you...

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by absolute zero, Aug 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. absolute zero

absolute zero Among the living

switch up your workouts?

For the most part, I stick to the same routines, but lately, I've been trying to throw 1 or 2 new exercises when I hear or read about a new one to replace an old one, even if it's just to try it out.

If you guys change your routines, do you do a complete overhaul? Or just replace an exercise with another one? And also, what kind of time frame are you usually going before you make a change?
    test
  2. LiveFromThe781

LiveFromThe781 Don Of The Den

i only change something when i feel its nessceary to. theres n set time, its just when i feel like i need to. it may be something as small as just changing from BB to DB or replacing an exercise entirely, but i never do anything too drastic.

i just train 6 days a week, 1-2 parts a day.
    test
  3. Ben Official

Ben Official Active Member

i completely switch it up every time i work out. the only thing i keep somewhat the same is jump rope and sprints depending on the day, but i do different variations on even those every time.

i do completely different exercises almost every time i workout. some exercises i'll repeat maybe once in the same week for a couple weeks, but usually i won't repeat the same exercise more than maybe once or twice a month, some even less than that.
    test
  4. Graphx

Graphx Word? Word!

Word...my routine is basically random with a few exceptions. I'll keep my staples included such as Bench, Dead Lift, Squat and some kind of over head press tho.

Right now I've fell into a groove of having 2 days on and 1 day off. It feels pretty good...like this week will end up looking like this:

Sunday - Chest
    Monday - Back (mainly lats)
    Tuesday - off
    Wednesday - Legs (quad/calf...squats)
    Thursday - Shoulders
    Friday - off
    Saturday - Legs/Back (lower back/hamstrings...i.e. Deadlift)

But as far as a routine...I never hit the gym with a set plan of exactly how my workout will go...shit, I actually usually come up with it on the drive there.
    test
  5. LiveFromThe781

so when do you train your arms?
    test
  6. Graphx

Graphx Word? Word!

Can't help but to work tri's on chest day so I don't isolate em then like most people...I'll do iso tri work on shoulder day and iso bi work at the end of my back day. Last night for example, after my rows I did a couple variations of cable curls then ended with a set of chins. Last week I ended with preacher curls followed by reverse curls and incline curls...next week I'll go with hammer curls and 21's with the EZ bar. On top of that my bi's get a good workout on my second back day because of the deadlift.

My tri's get murdered through my chest and shoulder work alone but I do have like 3 sets of various exercises devoted strictly to them alone when I do my shoulders
    test
  7. Got Life?

Got Life? Resident Megalomaniac

i like to switch it up with different variations just about every week, always keep my body guessing.
    test
  8. LiveFromThe781

yeah, i just like to give my biceps and triceps their own day because im already doing 3-4 exercises on any given primary muscle group so to add in more sets for isolation i think id either be in the gym way too long or have to short change myself on a chest or back day.

im not sure how your biceps are getting stimulated and fatigued through deadlifts either.
    test
  9. XxLiLBuRnAxX

XxLiLBuRnAxX Prolly smarter than you

i switch up exercises every few weeks, i keep the core ones the same tho (squat, military press, bench, etc) but sometimes ill switch it up to dumbbell bench, machine press's etc..after switching up the exercises i got super sore the next day so I feel like doing so keeps things moving along progress wise
    test
  10. openmindsent

openmindsent New Member

Try to switch things up at least once per month. Do research on the top exercises for every muscle group, and start to throw new ones into the mix.
    test
  11. absolute zero

absolute zero Among the living

How do you guys find out about new workouts? From the internet? Trainers?
    test
  12. LiveFromThe781

yeah talkin to people online or at the gym. or just thinking of somethign on my own.
    test
  13. Ben Official

Ben Official Active Member

trainers, or there are seminars at my gym. for example 2 weeks ago there was a kettle bar seminar i went to where we learned a million different kettle ball exercises to add to my repertoire. before i started working out there i used to learn a lot online or from books
    test
  14. XxLiLBuRnAxX

XxLiLBuRnAxX Prolly smarter than you

Is it just me or does the topic of this thread sound like it pertains to something completely different lol...
    Maybe its my lack of sleep last night making me think about unnecessary things
    test
  15. LiveFromThe781

i did barbell hacksquat today. pretty damn tough shit and just with 225.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.