Do y'all think IQ is just a number

Discussion in 'The Alley' started by Geedorah, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Geedorah

Geedorah King

Pchase, if your iq is above 80 then it is.
    • -Rep -Rep x 1
    test
  2. Caesar

Caesar Natural Aristocracy

All that matters is emotional IQ

:idontbelieveu2:
    • +Rep +Rep x 2
    test
  3. Geedorah

Geedorah King

test
  4. KOzS

KOzS .Juster

It certainly is for anything people on the net claim. Otherwise no, I'd say IQ score still reflects intelligence, just not the end all be all.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
    test
  5. DannyC

DannyC Stay golden, pony boy.

common sense and the ability to understand another's point of view befiore they understand yours is all that matters in this world.
    test
  6. DannyC

DannyC Stay golden, pony boy.

but i appreciate your p chase sattire
    test
  7. Caesar

I'd say it's a pretty reliable measurement of cognitive dexterity and fairly good predictor of educational/occupational outcomes.

Somebody with a 95 IQ isn't going to hack it in theoretical physics. Nor would they be inclined towards it in the first place.
    test
  8. Caesar

But yeah. These aren't just random numbers. Liberals like to dismiss IQ because it undermines their equalist fantasy.

IQ reflects not only differences in ability but also personality.

There's a BIG difference between a 140 IQ and an average IQ and how they process the world. The socially awkward genius trope has a lot of truth to it.

High intelligence seems to come with serious evolutionary trade-offs. Beyond a certain point, it's almost maladaptive.

I think Isaac Newton actually died a virgin. Probably the greatest mind in recent memory failed at passing on his genes while the biggest fucking idiots succeeded at the game many times over.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  9. KOzS

KOzS .Juster

I was in a police station (not a prison) years ago, and overheard two policemen talking. They were noticing how many of the people that they were holding were really intelligent, and saying that they felt more like an insane asylum than a police station. Then one of them said something I will never forget, "I guess it really pays to be average like us, eh."
    test
  10. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

i have a theoretical degree in that
    test
  11. Twamp

Twamp proper weaponry

a high IQ doesn't necessarily make somebody smarter than another and i think it's foolish to think so.
    test
  12. Geedorah

Geedorah King

:chefoooh:
    • -Rep -Rep x 1
    test
  13. P. Chase

P. Chase Well-Known Member

Do y'all know your IQ? I don't know mine but I assume it's average. I'm not a genius but not a dolt
    test
  14. zyclon B gas

zyclon B gas sososerious

I'm apparently at least in the 95th percentile according to a recent bullshit iq test I took.

I'd like to be really tested one day though.
    test
  15. reggie jax

reggie jax Well-Known Member

for me, that's not it. i assume that some people are smarter than others. it just seems to me, based on the questions that appear on iq tests, that it should be possible to raise your score on the test by practicing math & logic puzzles.
    test
  16. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

no, but id like to. I have no idea what a good number is, but i know its safe to say a 50 IQ is pretty terrible. I dont have that.
    every test ive ever taken on right or left side brain thinking im always right brained. My percentage averages around 60-70% right brained.
    test
  17. Geedorah

Geedorah King

test
  18. zyclon B gas

zyclon B gas sososerious

iq tests don't measure effort if the effort is only being applied because money is introduced to the equation. to use the money idea as an actual measure of effort, you'd have to take money away as well to see whether they apply themselves more to get the money back or if they just give up because you've already taken it.

if someone won't give 100% to show their true IQ to start, their effort is shit whether you give them $10 or take away $10. they're content with where they are and only will apply themselves with the guarantee of success. real effort is applying yourself regardless of success or failure.

did you know...obviously they didn't.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  19. Your Idol

Your Idol ♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠

• +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  20. MissBreezy

MissBreezy The God Pestilence

This.

In before anyone makes a joke about STD's
    • +Rep +Rep x 1