do producers get paid royalties from mixtapes?

Discussion in 'Audio Producers Discussions' started by Monarch., Oct 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Monarch.

Monarch. New Member

I was just wonderin because an artists ask me for a free beat, and I said what for and he said its for a mixtape

So I have no/little buzz because I am just starting and was wonderin do I get paid
    test
  2. Premize Prod

Premize Prod aka reggie kush

no you dont get anything. credit if your lucky.
    test
  3. ChaseNCashe

ChaseNCashe If it aint Polo, Keep It!

I don't know why I bursted out laughing.
    test
  4. Premize Prod

Premize Prod aka reggie kush

thought i was the only one..
    test
  5. DjayCasper

DjayCasper Eh Fuck It.

nah son lol but if u have a contract stating that

maybe you could work that in

but for the most part nobodys banking off the tape except the people selling it
    test
  6. Monarch.

Monarch. New Member

I was just askin, shit I'm just startin off
    test
  7. DjayCasper

DjayCasper Eh Fuck It.

aigh ill try to give u some advice

if its a known cat like say......... young jeezy

then yeah give em a free beat there aint no way you could not benefit from that unless you were tryna sell it to some one else already

but if its emcee lil bob from 2 blocks down u really aint gonna get much

if the beat is fire fire fire which im doubting because youre jus starting off people might ask him yo who did that beat

but he aint got to tell them, or he might jus say hes the only cat you get beats to or somethin on some selfish shit

they say itll take 4 yrs (on average, there are exceptions) to get "good" at something

so if ur ready for that keep on pushin

also dont get caught up in all the shit u hear on songs jus yet
    publishing, royalties shit like that

unless u sellin to majors it sounds a lil "stupid" goin around sayin u want royalties for a joint when im guessing you probably dont even know how much you should be getting paid

and when you get paid

if u realllllly wanna be about your business

look up books on music laws
    go to some shit like barnes n noble an buy a book or two..dont jus read it in the store take it home
    (after u pay, cuz it aint worth goin to jail for a book on music laws that shitd be uber redundant)

do ask questions a closed mouth dont get fed no homo
    but when it comes to somethings..youre better off learning for your self

find other people who do music that you think are better than you
    an learn from them
    like dont be buggin them but if u can watch and learn play the background an jus take it all in
    no homo
    test
  8. R-Tistic

R-Tistic Your favorite DJ

I'm sure that 99.5% of producers don't.

The first track I did for a mixtape ended up being on three or four mixtapes, including Cutmaster C's. The was for G. Malone, and it was his first major mixtape. He actually got all of the beats on there for free, even though the mixtape was damn near an album because it had 15+ original tracks. Even Battlecat, who's one of his boys, gave him two tracks for nothin at all. But as funny as it sounds to some people here...many producers would die to get on certain mixtapes, and they all realize that you don't get paid for havin a beat on a mixtape...it's all about promotion, especially when you get credit for the beat.
    test
  9. calmdown504

calmdown504 New Member

yea make him shout you out or something, or you could charge him or just not give it to him at all

is the dude even recording seriously? is he a nice rapper? like whats good
    test
  10. nwo504

nwo504 Rawtunez

i don't think most mixtapes are legal. None of the samples have to get cleared on mixtapes which is why you hear some of the nicest beats on mixtapes.
    test
  11. J-A-B-B-A-R

J-A-B-B-A-R Knick Hater

If you have a crazy ill sample that u flipped and you can never afford to pay for the clearance just yet, drop it on a mixtape. This is assuming that rappers be beggin for ur shit. Or if you want, make a complete mixtape with your beats alone and ask rappers to do their thing on it.

That way, you get paid, and you can show ur versatility cuz u can work with different types of artists...for those who can do r&b and hip hop. Be creative

Pz
    test
  12. Monarch.

Monarch. New Member

He's a nice rapper very dope

here's his myspace

myspace.com/nojoke151

you do have to get clearance on samples when you use them on mixtapes, but I make my shit from scratch because I dont like sampling
    test
  13. Gamshooter

Gamshooter New Member

hahah you dont clear shit for a mixtape are u kidding

anyways the rappers not bad, if u never did no songs with no one i'd just give him a beat and then promote the track after, because just having a vault of beats dont mean much, u need some songs to show people aswell
    test
  14. Monarch.

Monarch. New Member

^ Game had to clear a sample on one of his G-Unit mixtape but i will tr that
    test
  15. R-Tistic

R-Tistic Your favorite DJ

Well legally, you do have to....they just rarely enforce it. Companies could care less if you are doing an album or a mixtape...if you use a sample of their song on anything that you intend to sell, it is supposed to be cleared, legally. It's just something that's rarely enforced...and there are loopholes they use to get away with it. For instance...it'll say "for promotional use only" and they may act as if they gave it away for free...and if anybody could get in trouble, it would be a merchant who sells it....and we know that they sell a whole lot of illegal things and are rarely caught.
    test
  16. SenorSnatchFace

SenorSnatchFace New Member

Shoot I wish I could know the mixtapes Ive been on haha... We will start with figuring where my beats have ended up before money is discussed
    test
  17. Gamshooter

Gamshooter New Member

ya well technicaly they can charge u for having a stem of pot

TECHNICALY spitting is illegal

technicaly
    test
  18. Blemickis

Blemickis I get computers puting

or they'll do some shit like sell you stickers and give you the mixtape free.
    test
  19. MagicDonJuan

MagicDonJuan Active Member

usually its the ARTWORK they sell u not the mixtape its for promotional use i.e. its "free"
    test
  20. I.N.F.O.theking

I.N.F.O.theking haha 80s modanna

i wish...id be a wealthy man if so
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.