Do people believe in religion because they lack confidence?

Discussion in 'The Sanctuary' started by Geedorah, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Geedorah

Geedorah King

So they have someone to blame when they fail with something and they gonna say its Gods will.
    Or when someone close to them dies and they say he is in better place.
    How can you know he is in better place?
    test
  2. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

well, maybe for some people. But i dont think thats a fair general statement.

atleast "lack of confidence" is definately not what youd call it. I dont know.
    test
  3. reggie jax

reggie jax Well-Known Member

maybe not lack of confidence as in self-esteem, but lack of confidence in a more existential sense

or maybe not
    test
  4. Caesar

Caesar Natural Aristocracy

For late in life converts, I see it as mostly a buffer against anxiety.

That's really all ideology and culture in general boils down to. Perhaps Christians have weaker coping abilities when it comes to the idea of death.
    • -Rep -Rep x 1
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  5. reggie jax

that's a good way to put it. but i'm curious why you single out converts?
    test
  6. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

i was kind of thinkin on the same lines as Dex, and the reason is that if youre born into it, you havent yet had time to lose that confidence... converts know life. Been around the block.

but yeah, i definately dont think its a self esteem issue or anything.

but i dont know if i agree yet. It doesnt sound quite right.
    test
  7. reggie jax

i was just thinking it has the same role socially that it does individually - to alleviate stress. people who are born into a religion and stick with it have it as a tool to frame their fears in a way they can handle. i think everyone has to deal with those fears at some point.
    test
  8. Geedorah

Geedorah King

This is what I meant too.
    Its easier for them to deal with some situation when they think there is supreme being looking over them.
    test
  9. reggie jax

yes. or it's just preferable as a model of reality as compared to the seeming indifference of the universe.
    test
  10. SKY

SKY See & Know 4 Yourself

I believe people go to religion because they know a greater intelligence existence other than themselves, one that designed this planet and all life and materials on it. So people go to religion, not only for a sense of culture but a connection with their Creator. Unfortunately they get deceived and preyed upon by perverts and greedy disinformation agents.

True religion isn't religion at all, it is reality and truth. The reality of what is, and how to structure your life based on that reality.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  11. Geedorah

Geedorah King

Keep them focused on religion so they never look for God.
    test
  12. Con.Found.Dead

Con.Found.Dead Active Member

While I am sure there are some who participate in a religion to relieve stress or because they lack confidence, they probably wouldn't stay religious for very long. Being apart of a religion can be extremely stressful if you go into it as a hedge against going to hell because, now, you're essentially placing restrictions on certain behaviors that you may have once enjoyed. Because of this, some get extremely paranoid that the smallest thing they do isn't good enough. Which brings me to your other question: religion does not build self-esteem. It tears down your self-esteem and inserts itself in its place.

There is plenty of fear when dealing with faith matters. To go from non-believer to believer brings about its own challenges, but if you're seeking safety, as opposed to truth, then you never really traded your old fears to begin with.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  13. TheBigPayback

TheBigPayback God Particle

I can venture to bet there are more atheists petrified of death, than believers of the bible.

and in terms of confidence. lack confidence in what exactly.
    test
  14. Con.Found.Dead

Con.Found.Dead Active Member

From my own travels and experience, I would disagree with the assumption that atheists fear death. Most atheists I know, and love, don't think much about death because they're simply too busy (like most in the west), or simply don't care. A minority go Nietzsche's route and just "accept" their fate with a similar brand of stoicism a Christian would about spending life in Heaven. Almost every atheist I've met, who've actively studied different faiths and philosophy, don't believe in the eternity of the soul. If that's the case, what's there to fear in death so long as their legacy on earth has been left?

Some agnostics might have an active fear of death simply because they are unsure of their standing with whatever higher power they lean towards. If they were truly that afraid of death, however, I'd argue they would have already adopted a particular faith by that point.

In actuality, Christians who believe in the unconditional eternity of the soul probably fear more for their own deaths, and the death of others, because they are not confident in their own salvation. Even those who profess to believe in predestination *raises hand* will have worry and doubt about their own standing before God.
    test
  15. Geedorah

Geedorah King

In them self.
    test
  16. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

yeah whats with religious people thinking atheists fear death and lead miserable lives?
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  17. reggie jax

you could be right about that.

but the question is why?
    test
  18. FeedMeMore

FeedMeMore Moderator

Do you not believe because you fear judgement
    Do you fear going to a worse place
    How do you know he's not in a better place

Throwing out baseless assumptions about beliefs isn't the wisest way to discern information
    test
  19. FeedMeMore

FeedMeMore Moderator

or perhaps they believe it to be true

Do you disbelieve because weaker coping of a possible afterlife?
    • -Rep -Rep x 1
    test
  20. FeedMeMore

FeedMeMore Moderator

What's with atheists believing Christians fear death and have anxiety of death
    test