Django Unchained

Discussion in 'Overtime: Off-Topic Discussion' started by mambaregime, Jan 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mambaregime

mambaregime Midwest Movement

Well without going too far off topic, i'll say this. Personally as a film fan I think the Japanese in general historically are pretty horrible when it comes to filmmaking. With either crazy slow moving and boring storylines or way past extreme nonsensical psychotic shit.

That being said, what they lack (and always have) at film they more than succeeded when it came to Anime (well not the last 4-5 years but overall).
    Shit like Evangelion,Berserk,Lain,Bebop,FLCL were brilliant. Call me crazy but I see them as seperate art forms.

And for every "High and Low" (which is brilliant) Kurosawa made multiple shits like "Dreams" (not so much).

Dont even get me started on overrated muhfuckers like Hitchcock and Spielberg.
    test
  2. succadicc

succadicc Member

great film, and after the first watch its definitely top 5 tarantino with the potential of top 2 imo. cant wait for the blu-ray.
    test
  3. RonSimmons

RonSimmons my name, is Battle Rap

i don't see how this was better than Kill Bill tbh
    test
  4. mambaregime

We'll see about a year from now. Im still super high on it after watching it 3 times....but I swear it shoulda been longer (so much great shit he left/cut out).

I dont think anybody would ever put it above Pulp Fiction or Reservoir Dogs..at best its his 3rd best..at worse 4th.

Another thing that bugged me was them getting rid of Brunhilda's rape (by the Brittle brothers)!
    They didnt have to show it in full..they could have quick cut it. Dropping it from the story/film altogether was a bad idea though.

Django being so bloodthirsty for revenge just cause his wife got lashed up didnt work as well IMO.

Sam Jacks been trash in everything not Tarantino or Boondocks related 4 about 10 yrs now...but damn if his (SPOILERS)........................

Death scene wasnt top 10 of all time!!!!!

"Lord pleaseeee help me kill this sorry black muthafucka!!!! Jesus!!!"

:ganikcheesin:
    test
  5. RonSimmons

RonSimmons my name, is Battle Rap

honestly to me kill bill 1+2 were the best but that's if you count them together as one movie. the way it adds up to me is basically you put them together and it becomes the longest and thus most enjoyable story from tarantino... all of his movies are so great that you just want them to keep going so i favor the kill bill movies cause thats what you got- way more depth in story/characters than the other ones. then again i was too young when pulp fiction/res dogs came out so i wasn't able to absorb their impact on the film world the same way.

my biggest criticisms with django are pretty petty but it's basically like 'OOOOH WHITE GUYS SAYING THE N WORD... DJANGOS SO MAD RIGHT NOW'

there was no great twist

i also thought the scene where they kill Leo and the scene where they kill Sam Jack and everyone else shoulda just been the same scene... it seems like the scene in between with the Tarantino cameo was done just for the sake of having a Tarantino guest appearance and making the audience chuckle... it wasn't as subtle or integral to the story as i thought it could/should be.... and then afterwards he goes back to get broomhilda. idk basically the way i saw it was the main antagonist was Leo, and Djangos purpose was to get his wife, so why not have the movie climax with a scene where he kills Leo and gets his wife, rather than arbitrarily splitting them up... it threw off the momentum of the movie to me. but then again tarantino always paces his stuff weirdly. after seeing it a few times, any thoughts on this? i only saw it once...
    test
  6. mambaregime

Thats kinda what I been saying...dont get me wrong...the film came out 100x better than I thought it would with Jamie Foxx instead of Will Smith and so many other actors dropping out (Costner, Kurt Russell).

But going off the original script, there was so much small but meaningful shit they cut out, that would have made it even better/made more sense.

Candyland wasnt the plantation it was the club where the fights took place and a high class whore house for rich white men to get they Jungle Fever on.

Hildy getting raped by the Brittle Brothers.

How Candie acquired Brunhilda by basically cheating a goofy fat white boy whose parents bought her for him to bust his cherry (Jonah Hills original role) at a game of cards and then had his goons beat him like a dog before putting a bullet in his head.

The physical confrontation between Sam and Django before the Dinner/double cross.

As far as Calvin Candie vs Django, I dont think it was ever as cut and dry as he's good he's bad. They glossed over it a bit but Dr King Schultz was appalled by the South/slavery..which was why he chose the Dead option (and focused on the South) when he got his bounties. Leo's character actually liked black folks (his woman was Sheba...his closest friend was Sam Jack) he was just the sadistic (the Mandingo fighting) ,bored son of a Plantation owner and as Dr King said (a very bad loser but) an Abysmal Winner.

There personality clash made them the perfect rivals the same way Django an Sam Jack were.

As far as the twist...Dr King shooting him was the twist. If he just shook dudes hand he,Django and Hildy all walk away 12k short and alive. But his ego and disdain for everything he felt Candie/the South stood for wouldnt let him do it. Also in the script im pretty sure when Django kills the Brittle Bros he says the same "Couldnt help myself" line to the Doc...so when the Doc says it later...its kinda like...now I understand what you meant (but they changed that).

QT sped through/glossed over a lot of shit (if you notice b4 he shoots Candie, Dr King has flashbacks of the slave being mauled to death by the dogs), I think he realized if he wanted this movie to be a hit, he couldnt get too deep with it (there was a fucked up fscene in the script where Dr King is at a Slave Auction that they cut out as well that should have been left in) otherwise black folks would get mad and white people would be too uncomfortable to see it.

I think Tarantino has been trying too hard to make his version of the genre films he grew up loving ever since Pulp Fiction (blaxploitation,Kung Fu, War movie,Western, and even Death Proof was supposed to be his Horror flick..it just came out differently). I really want dude to just sit down and write something completely random again...not based on a favorite genre or film he loved growing up or a script he never finished.

But word is his next shit is gonna be a 1920's period gangster flick...which'll probably be amazing like all his films are.
    test
  7. Ravenous510

Ravenous510 Well-Known Member

Django Unchained was terrible.

If, as a film producer/director, one wishes to rewind time to a dark chapter in America's history, and remind everyone of the dehumanization of black America by white America, then I would think that there would be many other methods of doing so without resorting to such cheap theatrics and violence.

I understand that the film is intended to portray the American way of life during the time period, and is maybe even accurate in that regard but there exists no real thoughtfulness in the film. It's just "Inglorious Basterds" all over again. It portrays a group of people who have been wronged exacting veangance upon their oppressors, but veangance doesn't solve anything.

I am Jewish, and I thought Inglorious Basterds was cheap and exploitative, and Django Unchained is no different.
    test
  8. mambaregime

Except for Django, who else (group?) exacted any revenge exactly?

Its meant to be entertaining...not to enlighten the masses. If you want some faux cultural significance or to feel better about yourself afterwards, go watch Roots,Glory,Cider House Rules,Driving Miss Daisy, The Color Purple ,The Help,etc...etc...hell go watch Mandingo.

If you want to watch a Slavery/Western/Revenge flick...theres only 1.
    test
  9. seattlebattle12

seattlebattle12 aka lil ill & dagawd100

Ozu is the true Japanese GOAT director you philistines

But Django was the shit. When Jamie Foxx was killing all those white folks with 2pac playing :chefoooh::jaydamn:
    test
  10. IronsWrittens

IronsWrittens Well-Known Member

Damn some folks on here should not be discussing film, great movie, but I thought Argo and Life of Pi were better

Oscar noms just came out and leo got snubbed for supporting actor smfh

Qt snubbed for director smh (its 100% set up for spielberg to win)

Ben affleck also snubbed for director

Lincolns gonna get best picture because its fkin oscar bait, even though its not top 3 this yr smh, DDL is that dude though, but he doesnt work as much as leo though
    test
  11. Boom

Boom paradox

Django was a clasisc.

10 minutes into the movie i knew i'd love it. the dentist was my favorite character
    test
  12. mambaregime

Leo wouldnt have beaten Christoph Waltz anyways...that was a chess move.

Should he have been nominated...of course, but Dr King Schultz was the most likeable character (and best acted role) and the old ass Oscar voters didnt want any extra controversy (Calvin Candie dropping N-Bombs damn near every sentence). So why go through the trouble for an award he wouldnt win anyways?

The Tarantino as Best Director Snub is funny...but then again these are the same people that gave "Crash" Best Picture. And chose Forrest Gump over Pulp Fiction,Shawshank Redemption and Quiz Show. And didnt see fit to even nominate amazing films like Drugstore Cowboy, Millers Crossing, Hard Eight,Mean Streets,The Funeral and have routinely shitted on amazing Directors 4 ever Spike Lee,Wes Anderson, David Mamet, Scorscese (up until the last 5 yrs), Terry Gilliam,Wong Kar Wai to name a few.

And we wont even go into how they've done black people since its inception.
    Name 1 black oscar winner that wasnt playing a Slave, a Whore, or a grimey ass hood Nigga.

In other words, I quit watching or caring about this joke of an award about 10 years ago (as have most intelligent film fans)...and dont mind reading about the horrible selections in the paper or online a few days later.

That being said.. I think Silver Linings Playbook is gonna run away with most categories this year. At best Daniel Day Lewis wins 1 for Lincoln. Hoping my girl Jennifer Lawrence gets hers ...she got fucked her 1st time around and should've won for Winters Bone (damn good movie btw), plus she the finest actress alive right now!
    test
  13. mambaregime

Gotta check out Argo though...the Trailer looked just ok to me, but I keep hearing good things about it.

Life of Pi looked like ass and Ang Lee been a Wong Kar Wai biter in my book since jump street. So I gotta pass on that one.

The Impossible was damned good and Zero Dark Thirty was just ok (not nearly as good as Hurt Locker).

Guess the Scientologists do run H-Wood though..cuz The Master got little to no love in theaters or on any award shows (even though IFC's bullshit awards will prob show em extra love..just to be different).
    test
  14. Majestic1990

Majestic1990 Peace and Love

I thought it was a good movie..completely unexpected plot

I went and seen it cause i found out it was a quentin tarentino film and he makes some crazy shit

Samuel L Jackson's performance was hilarious..i really think hes going to win an award for that
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.