DISCUSSION: Who is the better sampler? Hip hop producer vs. Dubstep producer

Discussion in 'Audio Producers Discussions' started by TylerLeeFTW, Jun 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TylerLeeFTW

TylerLeeFTW Tyler Lee

I have always been a hip hop head, and of course sampling in hip hop requires an ear, skill, and music intellect. It was one of the most beautiful aspects about hip hop and arguably the definition of beat-making.

As of recently, I have began to listen Dubstep/DnB/Electronica. I am a total noob when it comes to these genres (I can't even tell the difference between those 3), but I know good music when I hear it, and damn, these producers really know how to utilize their samples in a very unique style compared to the way that hip hop producers do. I have never heard samples flipped like they are in a dubstep track. I will be listening to more and more dubstep in the near future.

What do you guys think? Which producer is better, uses their samples in a better fashion, etc. Leave some feedback!

- Tyler Lee
    test
  2. ddoc619

ddoc619 New Member

dont know but good thread
    test
  3. Eternity

Eternity retired legend

Dubstep is awesome and if you've never made music or touched a music making program it is probably harder at first to make GOOD dubstep than it is to make GOOD hip hop. But hip hop is a much older and more developed genre and has a slightly more diversified and evolved sound than dubstep. In other words, a hip hop producer has to be slightly more flexible than a dubstep producer does presently. For that reason, I'd say being a great hip hop producer is more difficult than being a great dubstep producer presently. As dubstep continues to evolve, however, this could change.

I believe dubstep is the future and hip hop is not so much the sound of the new generation that is coming of age. The new generation wants a form of music to identify with because hip hop is associated with an increasing average age. Dubstep could possibly become the sound of the new generation IF it can utilize vocals in a way that gives the dubstep music an identity. That could very well be rap vocals or a more harmonic form of rapping.
    test
  4. HYPNOTIK

HYPNOTIK Fully Loaded

Sol killed it
    test
  5. Mckenzie

Mckenzie New Member

I'd like several examples of dubstep with great using of samples. Because I don't currently understand what this talk is about. I mean, what distincts great dubstep is wobble - fat, hard, and distorted bassline is pretty much all you need. And when you talk about "flipped samples" do you really mean samples or rather talk about what actually is achieved with synthesizers? I'm asking because one of my friends was constantly saying a certain song has good samples, and after I told him it's not samples at all, he was like, "I'm talking about overall sounding" - I mean, if a track has great synths, he would say "cool samples here":funny:

So, that all thing with samples in dubstep made me intrigued and if you have some examples of dubstep with original use of actual samples, I would be really grateful for your tips.
    test
  6. Van Alias HV

Van Alias HV New Member

I dont think one is better at sampling than the other personally. Both genres have artists that utilize samples in the appropriate manner for their style.
    test
  7. J-MAGIC

J-MAGIC thablockproductions.tk

my kid better not listen to some damn dubstep id smack his ass with a beat cd
    test
  8. Van Alias HV

Van Alias HV New Member

test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.