Difference between pop filters...

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by ^IT^, Jan 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ^IT^

^IT^ MMC

damn after i bought a nylon 1 =( maybe i can take it back?
    test
  2. Fonikz

Fonikz ExcuseMeAsIKissTheSkyyy

take word from syntax..guy knows what hes talking about..because of him.. i have dope quality.. :)
    test
  3. Ghet-Ghet

Ghet-Ghet Guest

*sigh*

As I told Mic...

I have provided logic from science and knowledge of proven sound physics that have been studied for the past 200 years and applied to every sound technology since.

You have "you have no idea what you are talking about"

Care to refute on an empirical level or just sling names and be moody?

Are you saying nylon has more molecules per square inch then metal?

Are you saying soud isn't moving molecules but, instead, is a magical, mystical force that can NEVER be understood?

Are you saying when sound passed through nylon, there is MORE friction then when it passes through metal?

Are you saying sound passes faster through air then it does through metal?

What? Who? How? Where do I not know what I am talking about?
    test
  4. Fonikz

Fonikz ExcuseMeAsIKissTheSkyyy

that sound passing through air is slower than passing through a solid is definetly true.. i was learning about that in science before vacation..lol
    test
  5. veral conflict

veral conflict beatsrus

i use nylon... i got it at the Gcenter for 20$... n even the man told me to get nylon... he said some big word i couldnt understand... but he said nylon is better than metal...
    test
  6. mic1tharula

mic1tharula 790 verbal

ghet, it aint all about molecules. i will trust syntax on this shit before i trust you, homie.
    test
  7. Syntax_Mastery

Syntax_Mastery Emcee/Producer/Engineer

lol@the physics of the situation

your argument would hold weight if the stedman ps101 was a solid sheet of metal...

but its not.

until you have actually had hands on experience with the types of pop filters in question... keep your physical science argument to yourself please.

peace.
    test
  8. Syntax_Mastery

[​IMG]

for those who have never seen a metal pop filter.
    test
  9. mic1tharula

mic1tharula 790 verbal

lol...ghet you got sonned on this shit homie....syntax is tha master.
    test
  10. dream shatterer

dream shatterer break your face

test
  11. Ghet-Ghet

Ghet-Ghet Guest

The perforation of the metal reduces the mass by around 50%. Neat.

So now, we have a metal that is now around 50% less dense, but still contains a greater density then nylon!

So... where am I wrong?

:MattMan_f

Ok then, mic, tell me, what else is sound? Magical waves of etherealness that no one can ever understand? Pick up science book... review... wow... it's really true!
    test
  12. Syntax_Mastery

like i said... until you have had hands on experience with the products in question you cannot say which is better... i can

i've worked with both, and i know which gets the job done better... its not just holes... its designed to push the plosives down and away... and it actual sounds better in my high end than with a nylon pop filter... i've worked with this for 2 years ghet... you cant sit here and try to lecture me with what you think you know about the physics of the situation if you've never even dealt with what we're talking about...
    test
  13. theogdogg

theogdogg New Member

I know in every studio I've ever worked in the pop filters were always nylon... I've also been to the Def Jam South recording studio (cost 2.5 million dollars to build the new room) and they used a nylon filter too... But I'm sure they just didn't feel like paying the extra $20 to buy a metal one right?
    test
  14. mic1tharula

mic1tharula 790 verbal

i've taken college physics classes and ghet, you don't know what you're talking about. stop trying to impress everybody.
    test
  15. Syntax_Mastery

that doesnt mean that metal its not better... i've been in "multi million" dollar studios that have analog mixing boards... i guess that means that pro tools HD3 isnt as good... right? please shush... your the dude that came in here talking about they make metal pop filters for durability purposes... who the fuck tears apart pop filters in the booth?... who the fuck are you recording? baraka from mortal kombat? stop tryin to save face with your def jam south storys...
    test
  16. Mariano

Mariano New Member

Hey syntax...how much did your metal pop filter cost?
    test
  17. Syntax_Mastery

bottom line is...

yall need to stop trying to be so fuckin SMART around these kids... competing with each other to see whos the smartest, cuz you both claim to be mastering engineers... you have absolutely no fucking clue what your talking about..neither of you, you assume shit cuz you dont understand... "well i saw ludacris with a nylon one, so nylon must be best"... you saw him with a nuemann mic too, so i guess nuemann must be the best.... yea... right... stop trying to impress people, and start all kinds of arguments when you've only got evidence of "what you heard" or "what my science book says"... go out and do some hands on experimenting... i own both pop filters in question... and im definetly no dumb-fuck about my music, and studio equipment... just because the people you look up to don't use a metal pop filter doesnt mean it sucks... for gods sake... theres only ONE metal pop filter on the market as we speak... if they're not internet savvy, its possible that they may not know...
    test
  18. Syntax_Mastery

i copped one when it first came out... it cost 49 bucks.
    test
  19. Ghet-Ghet

Ghet-Ghet Guest

Here it comes! THe predictable "Oh, well, even though you may know the physics and design, that must mean you've never dealt with it before!"

I'm a fucking audio engineer. I work at two studios and I setup studios on the side. I know what the difference is between the two!

What I think I know about physics!? You haven't disproved a single thing I said! "Oh, well, I've used it, so nay-nay!" So have I! And I'm telling you the difference between the two on a logical level!

It isn't magically designed to push plosives away by some unexplainable phenomenon. IT'S FUCKING METAL! It reduces the power of the energy passing through it BECAUSE OF ITS DENSITY! But, at the expense of power reduction, frequency reduction also occurs! THIS IS BASIC PHYSICS!

Hey, Mic, still drawing straws, and still haven't disproved a single thing I said... start trying to be smart and use some of that collegel-level physics you have to disprove my statement.
    test
  20. WDPS Recordz

WDPS Recordz t(* *t)

who the fuck cares......its a pop filter....u can handle alot of plosives with placement of the mic and pop filter alone.....its called Mic Technique.....thats what u kids should learn....doesnt matter what fuckin pop filter u use...any one of em will do u good if u got good technique.....Ghet this IM AN AUDIO ENGINEER shit is gettin real old man.....typin big ass novels....u learned school shit....u didnt learn real life shit.....Syntax is trusting his ears....dont u know thats what its all about?.....If it sounds right it must be right (especially after owning both and usin em for 2 years).......i dont think u use ur ears very much, i think ur a go by the book kinda guy cause the last beat i heard from u the was completely outta harmony....but if ur so confident shut the fuck up n let ur point stand....just stop fightin like ur married and go be an audio engineer in urs and ur girlfriends studio and help internet kids build studios.
    Fuck all u so called professionals...u dont got brains or experience u got books....ur worth 20.95 over at amazon.com
    PZ
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.