Difference between pop filters...

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by ^IT^, Jan 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ^IT^

^IT^ MMC

i know they have like nylon ones and metal ones.. whats the difference between the two.. any body recommend a certain one.. i was thinkin bout coppin the stedmen ps101 or somethin like it... any suggestions?
    test
  2. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

I dont use Pop filters I use the foam covers that go on the actual mic I forget what theyre called but I hear Nylon Pop Filters are the way to go kuz its better for sound proofing than metal im not an expert but thats what Ive always heard
    test
  3. Magazine

Magazine New Member

always get nylon i actually dont know about any others but i would think nylon is best? i never really got into all the info with pop filter cuz imm its a fucking pop filter lol
    test
  4. Syn 6

Syn 6 back off hiatus

^ yea, they're called windscreens .. thats wut i use currently but i'm goin to be getting a pop filter ..
    test
  5. mic1tharula

mic1tharula 790 verbal

chea pop filters are better than windscreens...unless you are recording in a hurricane. idiots....as far as the nylon v. metal debate, i've heard peopel say metal is better and i've heard people say nylon is better. i've only worked with nylon, and mine works perfectly fine for eliminating plosives without compromising quality.
    test
  6. bigBANKin

bigBANKin crazy

one of my homies has a metal one i dont remember what brand it works aight think he said it was kind of expensive tho
    test
  7. BPINCdef

BPINCdef Renaissance Man

the metal ones are a metal mesh and are said to work better but they cost like 20-30 more so nylon will do just fine
    test
  8. ^IT^

^IT^ MMC

if price didnt matter would you get the nylon or metal?

thats my question because theyre only like 50 dollars the metal mesh ones and thats not a problem.....
    test
  9. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

If money is not an issue why not buy both try them out and return the one that u dont need most places will allow returns as long as u have the recipt and packaging
    test
  10. Jusa9ine

Jusa9ine YEAAAA

at one point i had both.. first i had the nylon one it works great, then i bet the stedman ps101... and i was usin both with the stedman in front of the nylon one... now i sold the nylon one but honestly i would recomend the nylon it's cheaper and there is no difference wutsoever. i just think the stedman looks cooler cause it's smaller... lol
    test
  11. mic1tharula

mic1tharula 790 verbal

ight den jusa...
    test
  12. Mariano

Mariano New Member

i need to buy a pop filter, whats a really good one for a cheap price?
    test
  13. mic1tharula

mic1tharula 790 verbal

i think nady makes a cheap one?
    test
  14. Ghet-Ghet

Ghet-Ghet Guest

And now, the audio engineer aspect

The fundamentals of sound exists within rarefractions and compressions of molecules. This means that sound is not an energy.. it is just the kinetics of molecules moving through space.

Since air contains less molecules then solids, sound travels slower through the air then through solids.

This leaves us to the nylon/metal conflict.

Nylon is a synthetic material formed from oil.

Metal is a fundamental element existant throughout the universe, formed by supernovas. (Specifically iron)

Metal contains more molecules then nylon per square inch. So yes, sound travels faster through metal then through nylon.

HOWEVER, at the benefit of speed, there comes the expense of frequency. Metal pop filters naturally will block high frequency content because that is the nature of sound as it passes through a solid. Since molecules are packed tightly within a solid, the space between molecules is less (this allows for faster transfer of sound) Furthermore, as a solid, sound passing through it and the resistance the movement molecules must make provide friction. It is this friction that reduces both the power and the frequency content of sound passing through it. (relational to the density of the metal)

Nylon is less dense, thus, containing less molecule, thus, less of a power and frequency loss.

So, my final vote goes to nylon.
    test
  15. theogdogg

theogdogg New Member

Nylon is DEFINATELY the better choice... The only reason they make a metal one is because some people treat their studio setup's like shit and nylon is easily ripped/damaged... If you're planning on having a bunch of routy ass high fucks recording in your studio, get the metal one. If you're like 99% of us and take extreme care with your equipment, get the nylon, it's the better choice...
    test
  16. SicksentZ

SicksentZ RIP Hip Hop: 1980 - Nelly

Sam Ash has tons for like 20 bucks
    test
  17. mic1tharula

mic1tharula 790 verbal

ghet....your post is mostly BS.....
    test
  18. Ghet-Ghet

Ghet-Ghet Guest

*sigh*

I have provided logic from science and knowledge of proven sound physics that have been studied for the past 200 years and applied to every sound technology since.

You have "your post is mostly BS"

Care to refute on an empirical level or just sling names and be moody?
    test
  19. Syntax_Mastery

Syntax_Mastery Emcee/Producer/Engineer

i have actual worked with both metal and nylon pop filters... the metal pop filter i have used for the past 2 years is the Stedman PS101

metal pop filters arent just METAL WITH HOLES....

they are designed to push the plosive downward and away from the diaphram of the mic... thats what the holes are... if you actually held one and worked with it, and looked at it..you'd know that it doesnt take a plosive head on like nylon does. Therefore you get alot less of that plosive showing up in recording... it also allows more sound to travel through at a high frequency... nylon pop filters have a tendency to lay a "shroud" over a vocal...

METAL pop filters are by far the better choice... if you found no difference in your pop filters Jus, then 9 times out of ten you had it positioned wrong.

alot of you dont even know WHAT THE FUCK your talking about... with all this "they make metal ones cuz they handle abuse better"...bullshit...

go do your research please before you try to come in here and compete in the realm of knowledge.

peace.
    test
  20. Syntax_Mastery

Syntax_Mastery Emcee/Producer/Engineer

wow... honestly..on this one... yuo have no idea what your talking about.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.