did u know

Discussion in 'The Sanctuary' started by TheBigPayback, Aug 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheBigPayback

TheBigPayback God Particle

Find em. Quote them in context, include who is speaking and who they are speaking to. If its founded ill look into the original language and well settle the question for you. If u just mean in terms of where it says if u ARE a slave u should obey the owner. Thats in the context of work, and youll find the same thing
    where it talks specificly about 'work'.
    test
  2. TheBigPayback

The only reason i wouldnt reply is if i didnt see it. You think if u have a question about something in the bible I wouldnt take the time to go over it for you?
    test
  3. TheBigPayback

This sin nature causes us to sin in the same way that a cat’s nature causes it to meow—it comes naturally. According to this view, man cannot stop sinning on his own; that is why God gives a universal grace to all to enable us to stop. (1 Corinthians 15:22; Romans) 5:12-18).

The hearts of men are "deceitful above all things and beyond cure through their own ability"

we need a Savior, because we are unable to overcome sin on our own. The answer is not to try harder. We need transformation, not just trying! As the apostle Paul says, "For the desire to do what is good is with me, but there is no ability to do it. For I do not do the good that I want to do, but I practice the evil that I do not want to do" (Romans 7:18-19).

That is why we needed God to come down to earth in flesh, as Jesus Christ, and die on the cross as the perfect, sinless sacrifice for our sins, paying a price that we could not pay ourselves. Read this verse carefully: "But God proves His own love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us!" (Romans 5:8). Notice that it says that Christ died for us "while we were still sinners." You see, we are saved by God's grace, not by the good deeds we do (Ephesians 2:8-9). If we could just stop sinning on our own, we wouldn't need Jesus to die for us. Galatians 2:21 says, "I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness comes through the law, then Christ died for nothing." Once we accept Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior, we are forgiven of sin. "Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus" (Romans 8:1). Then we begin a growing process as a Christian, of daily growing to be more like Christ and seeking victory over sin in His strength. Romans 6:11
    test
  4. Mrjdm998

Mrjdm998 New Member

However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way. (Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT)

When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again. But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her. And if the slave girl's owner arranges for her to marry his son, he may no longer treat her as a slave girl, but he must treat her as his daughter. If he himself marries her and then takes another wife, he may not reduce her food or clothing or fail to sleep with her as his wife. If he fails in any of these three ways, she may leave as a free woman without making any payment. (Exodus 21:7-11 NLT)

Both those use the word buy or purchase.
    test
  5. TheBigPayback

Notice the second one where it says she will not be freed after six years as the men are.
    This is because in a historical context not just biblically if ur family owed a debt the son or daughter would be sold into slavery for seven years. After seven years ur families debt would be canceled. Ill find the other one for you ins sec. As well as who exactly is speaking and to whom.
    test
  6. TheBigPayback

Alright. Leviticus was written by moses to directed towards the isrealites

Old Testament, slaves were often prisoners of war. The law of Moses in fact served to regulate the care of slaves by their Hebrews masters, i.e. Exodus 21:20 and 26, Leviticus 25:40. Consequently, Israel never captured and sold humans as did the the Phoenicians and Philistines.

¥

Also its in reference to slavery in society in general during biblical times

On the contrary, slavery in Bible times significantly differed from slavery in modern times. It was not based on race. It was often less imperialistic. in many cases it was actually more of an indentured servant type arrangement in exchange for debt.

the reality of slavery as it existed in various forms, the Bible never actually condones it. It rather gives slaves, both then and more recently, a spiritual basis for worth, dignity, equality, and hope to face difficult circumstances. In the end, at a deeper level, its position is clear.
    test
  7. TheBigPayback

This is what i mean about if something doesnt sound right in contrast to what u know Gods nature to be. Its usually a loss in translation or ur misundrstanding of the context
    test
  8. Mrjdm998

Mrjdm998 New Member

Please find me a bible passage which says slavery is wrong.
    test
  9. NightmareEx

NightmareEx The Beast

He can't. Being a lying hypocrite is synonymous with Christianity.
    test
  10. TheBigPayback

All of exodus
    test
  11. TheBigPayback

All men are equal in the sight of God, because God is not a respecter of persons (Ac. 10:34)

"there is neither slave nor free" but "we are all one in Christ Jesus" (Gal. 3:28).

For the law was not intended for people who do what is right. It is for people who are lawless and rebellious, who are ungodly and sinful, who consider nothing sacred and defile what is holy, who kill their father or mother or commit other murders. 10 The law is for people who are sexually immoral, or who practice homosexuality, or are slave traders, [a] liars, promise breakers, or who do anything else that contradicts the wholesome teaching

[a] 1:10 That is, those who take someone captive in order to sell him into slavery
    test
  12. Mrjdm998

Mrjdm998 New Member

Are you denying that the bible sets out guidelines on how to treat slaves and has a passage about beating slaves to death?
    test
  13. TheBigPayback

Im telling you that the bible sets guidlines in the treatment of slaves whereas there hadnt been in regular society since it was not against the law to keep them.

Im telling you that the context of biblical slavery is captured prisoners in battle or as a 7 year debt payment which is the only context it infers. Rather than how we know it to be as racially based or otherwise.

Im telling you that the isrealites these things were written to NEVER kept slaves.

Im telling you that all men are equal in the sight of GOD as slavery is a man made institution.

And im telling you nightmarex is an idiot.
    test
  14. Mrjdm998

Mrjdm998 New Member

Then explain why the phrase guy is used? Amd why the bible feels slavery in any form is acceptable?
    test
  15. TheBigPayback

If someone is trying to regulate something thats happening in society is it really condoning its practice or is it trying to get people to change the way its being done. Its not like God was saying it, speficly it was moses relaying changes to the treatment of it to a certain people that in their society was a norm. And again ur idea of slavery and how it actually was in those times are two totally different things.
    test
  16. TheBigPayback

test
  17. Mrjdm998

Mrjdm998 New Member

Cliff notes please. 90% of that text was explanation from the author which is irrelivent, we're taking what the bible says. How is slavery in any way moral and good? I get it's quite low down on the idiotic imoral things the bible condones (Throwing rocks at gay people 'till they die for example), but come on.
    test
  18. TheBigPayback

Its actually the context of slavery hostorically the bible is talking about. Not his explination.

Throwing rocks at gay people ey? And u found that where in a nightmare quote?
    test
  19. Mrjdm998

Mrjdm998 New Member

test
  20. miscreant

miscreant 1996 was the shit

test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.