Did Jay-z ever rap about coke before Reasonable Doubt?

Discussion in 'Hip-Hop Central' started by thedream233, Feb 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

havent made a jay-z hate thread in a while so here it is lol

people jump down my throat when i say jay is successful because he does nothing but follow trends...

but the shits true. In 96, the mafioso gangsta rap was popular, which is where jay came out spitting about not just selling coke, but being a fucking huge drug lord like hes scarface or something. and his whole career he rapped about it like thats all he did other than rap.

before that, dude didnt mention coke at all (at least from the verses I've heard)

I realize i could be wrong on this so...

so I'm challenging all the huge jay fans to find me a verse (or 2) before 1996 where he mentioned his so called drug dealer life.
    test
  2. NinjaMic

NinjaMic Brian Disease

lots of ways to take it... wanna be a certain kind of rapper, you gotta be in a certain lifestyle. wanna talk big in a place like NY, gotta surround yourself with certain things, and be one of your peers, one with your audience to thrive, shine and survive without being a target. at least until you're too famous to do the things you're used to doing. i don't think that means "dealer" but if you're at the club, you're gonna have a few drinks.

"when the MC's came/to rep the name/and/to perform/some had/to snort cocaine/to act insane"

...but 100% absolutely, that was the trend of the time... Nas and Jay both became Raekwon and Biggie as needed. At the same time, in Nas case, he didn't really get rich with Illmatic. I remember when I Am... came out, and Nas was talking about the IWW era, saying he spent all his money from Illmatic, and was still in Queens... ghetto superstar: a limbo between regular NY life, and the fast life. He saw a little bit of that fast life, and needed to maintain it, and rhymed about whatever he needed to rhyme about to re-up and not look back.

so i can empathize, depending on what little i can know about an artist's life when they just try and make a hit. it's like putting on a suit for an interview, when you really wanna just be yourself.

"i ain't been rhymin like common since"
    test
  3. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

jay didn’t do much before then, big said he took dealing too serious and not music………people have never doubted him really, he went into good detail up till recently about all of his drug stuff……..and that being the trend in 96 didn’t make it less true for big, but like listen to you don’t know off blueprint………..

em did infinite, he ain’t been rhyming like nas since……..but a rapper is a job title, and one does what they can to make a living and pursue their art…….jay has shown his ability to be super lyrical, and simply stated that he truth be told if lyrics sold he’d prolly be talib kweli or whatever……...
    test
  4. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

and dream, if he was still in the drug game, rapping about it would be kinda stupid don’t you think
    test
  5. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

Nas was wrong for doing it too. I dont care what anyone says, Nas' second half of his career is MUCH better than the first half mainly because now hes his own man and isnt following trends like in 99.
    test
  6. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

I dont care whether he did it or not (honestly, i dont think he was a big time drug dealer if his first case was around the year 2000) but all i'm saying is if it was such a huge part of his life, where was all the drug talk in the big daddy kane and Big L features, etc... dude was a different person and he copy and pasted the mafioso style in order to appeal.

and YES Eminem switched his style up after Infinite, but the difference is that the slim shady persona was his own. he created that.

Eminem is a REAL innovator, not Jay-Z.
    test
  7. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

lol yes. I agree 100%. but damn near every rapper on earth does it.
    test
  8. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

i just think jay found his nitch then, as he was behind the trend then……..but since he has always been on top of them, and pushed them further………no one rapped about that stuff before then, then big and jay did, it was a simple business decision as i see it, which has payed off…..
    test
  9. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

what? are you serious? Jay STILL followed trends even after that. didnt you notice how his music is getting softer and softer along with hip hop?
    test
  10. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

Of course I notice........but people look to him as a voice of trends, he has gotten old and become a role model and is a businessman......he got softer which I don't like, but he he also killed or helped with DOA where as ur favorite trendsetter was 1 of 2 main problems with it....besides Wayne.......I really never thought I would say this but I don't think I can get u to see my view, so agree to disagree.......u used to wobe negative towards nas too.....not a knock, but things change, maybe we both will
    test
  11. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

the DOA "trend" was really just part of the hip hop is dead trend that Nas started.

no were probably never gonna see eye to eye on this subject, or the other 1000 things weve argued about but fuck it its a message board, what else are we here for lol
    test
  12. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

the doa was a song not a trend.....it started a trend which ye was a part of......i admit jay has followed, why can you not ever admit that he has led?.....
    test
  13. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

cristal was brought into rap by jay.....neptunes sound was jay-z, kanye sound for beats was jay-z.......he has balanced both lyrical and comercial better than any other rapper.......i wish it were a trend that others could follow
    test
  14. NinjaMic

NinjaMic Brian Disease

imo Blueprint brought sampling back to the mainstream after the Swizz Beats, Mannie Fresh era when their style became dominant and desirable for the financial overhead of labels when clearance for sampling became too costly and entrenched in legality in the late 90's.
    test
  15. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

but dream won't give that to jay for going out on a huge limb and going from pharell to kanye and just blaze as his go to guys when neptunes owned like 6 of the top 10 songs on radio
    test
  16. Vulgar

Vulgar 80s baby

He use to rhyme fast before RD too. So what?

Sixers ballin' on Tapatalk
    test
  17. The_K3

The_K3 ^Secksi^

lots of people sold coke but didnt rap about it back then
    test
  18. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

Vulgar im with u on this don't get it twisted
    test
  19. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

he jumped on the bandwagon of complaining about the direction that hip hop was going in since the south took over. doa was late as fuck. Nas spoke on that shit in 2006. The sad part is, neither jay or nas were powerfull enough to kill off the south.
    test
  20. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

cristal? im talking musc homie. (and biggie rapped about cristal too)

Since when is jay a producer? he helped put niggas on theres no doubt about that, and he has a great ear for beats, but he dont get credit for the ebats if he wasnt making them...

Big Daddy Kane balanced lyrical and commercial way better than jay... dude was way more creative with his songwriting abilities and his style is 100 percent his own.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.