Did a lot of striking yesterday.

Discussion in 'MMA, Boxing & Other Combat Sports' started by zyclon B gas, Mar 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zyclon B gas

zyclon B gas sososerious

Felt good to punch the shit out of a heavy bag again. Bruised knuckles n shit. Kicked it for a while too. Didn't realize my cardio was so good right now.

gotta get back to footwork practice, but my striking is still crisp and technically pretty sound.

bouncing tomorrow for st. patty's day, so brushing up felt nice.
    test
  2. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

nice man good job, does feel great. I had to quit kung fu when I moved in the fall. I really wanted to become instructor. But that goal in life had to be put on hold.

anyways we used to punch wall bags, they are filled with rocks and have that real heavy duty rough texture. There is 3 levels of bags, 1 with rocks, the second packed tighter with rock, and the 3rd was the heavy bag filled with sand so tight theres almost no give for an untrained fighter... its heavy as shit too.... anyway, when I started I could barely hit the first bag 30x before my knuckles tore and bruised.... before I left I was on the 2nd wall bag at 500+ punches before I had any scuffing... to move on to the next bag you have to be able to punch the one youre on 1000X with no damage.

really works for hardening the bones in your hand and knuckles for hitting hard.
    test
  3. zyclon B gas

zyclon B gas sososerious

i remember seeing a documentary about martial arts with this guy from china or japan that the police brought in to beat the heads of the triad gangs. he would put like 400lbs of iron on his legs and just punch the iron every day, and when they interviewed him he was like "i would hit them at 40-60% because if i hit them 80-100%, i would kill them." and he's just sittin there hitting iron.

i really got into punching walls, marbel, desks, lampposts, anything i could punch whenever i could. built up strong bones. when training, we had a heavy bag with no give which bruised my bones pretty bad but it was good. if you hit it wrong you sprain your wrist.

i'd like to hit those stone bags.

[youtube]cTeB7bPMHXo[/youtube]
    test
  4. Jay Bee

Jay Bee Boricua

thats good to hear. i been doing the same thing myself. i thought because i gained so much weight that i would suffer but it actually wasn't that big of a difference

how do you practice footwork
    test
  5. zyclon B gas

zyclon B gas sososerious

working on technique.
    set your stance:
    move forward, side, back, side, repeat repeat repeat. increase speed with proficiency. add in diagonal movements. add in head & body movements.
    stand in front of a heavy bag and put those movements to use. change levels as you circle around and move your head and body. always keeping your hands/arms up. add in punches. keep changing levels. bag swings you move with it/against it. add kicks. technique technique technique.

tire runs, rope runs, jump rope, lateral movements, cone runs.

best is having a partner with the mitts so you have to chase them down or move backwards & sideways while striking. drop your hands you get a mitt-hook to the face. get kicked in the elbow and lose function of your arm you better learn how to duck/avoid or you get a mitt-hook to the face or worse, a kick to the ribs/kidney/face

my favorite/most hated way i learned how to throw an uppercut was my trainer put a rope across the length of the gym (about 50ft at the time) and made me duck under and move forward while throwing an uppercut. if i didn't have proper technique i would hit the rope and every hit was 20 squats. 2,000 squats later, i had pretty good technique.
    test
  6. Jay Bee

Jay Bee Boricua

Lol that sounds brutal.

I've always trained footwork in front of a heavy bag or with a friend holding the mitts but I've found lately that practicing in a big empty room with a designated "ring" helped me envision where I should actually make these cuts and how far to circle

What do you mean by tire runs
    test
  7. Halloween Jack

Halloween Jack Heavens Demon

that's where you have tires laid out flat and lined up side by side. the challenge is to run through all of them by high stepping in and out of the holes without getting tangled or stepping directly on the tire itself.

conditions your agility and your eye/foot coordination.
    test
  8. zyclon B gas

zyclon B gas sososerious

^that

and yeah we set up 12x12, 10x10, 8x8, 6x6, 4x4 rings using cones in order to work on ring control. 75% of fights end up on the ground, and when you're right in front of someone you better know how to move or you're getting knocked out or taken down. muay thai holds fuckin suck!

you step outside the cone, free punch or kick for the opponent (not to the face).

4x4 and 6x6 are fuckin horrible.

moving mitts are rough.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.