Diaz wants GSP fight

Discussion in 'MMA, Boxing & Other Combat Sports' started by Mac Sabbath, Feb 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. .:Pain:.

.:Pain:. Futurely J. Keeper

Ah, I knew one of 'em was a brown belt, and I've seen Nate use his JJ much more than Nick, so I just assumed it was him.

My mistake Mark.

I think he could, but I also think Nick could sub Penn.

I guarantee, and I think this is something we both can agree on, that if they ever did fight, we could count out submissions as the mode of victory for either fighter. That fight will end by TKO or decision.
    I think you posted this part backwards. Nick Diaz is actually a very sound technical boxer, BJ has the more looping powerhouse brawler style.
    I agree with this for the most part, except I think you're underrating Nick's striking style just a bit. The Diaz's are renowned for their striking accuracy, and I think GSP would have some difficulty with Nick's jab (as would Penn, for that matter)...
    test
  2. Sabbath

Sabbath Regicidal

Bj's the brawler and Nick's the technical boxer?

now I've heard it all.
    test
  3. .:Pain:.

Yes, I think it's clear as day when you watch them fight.

Seriously, look at the crispness of punches, who throws more jabs, who doesn't leave themselves open while throwing, and who takes the least amount of punishment.

Diaz wins in all those catagories...
    test
  4. Big K

Big K U Wanna Battle?

Pain is trollin'.

Statistically, Penn has the highest number of jabs in the UFC. Well...he's tied with Anderson. Also, Diaz doesn't know the meaning of head movement. He takes a good a amount of shots every fight. Penn...not so much.
    test
  5. .:Pain:.

Care to cite where that info came from?
    Never said he did, but he definitely still takes less damage than Penn.
    Really? I mean, really? I can't tell you how many times I've seen Penn leave a fight swollen and bruised. Diaz, on the other hand, I've seen leave fights with brawlers unscathed (see Diaz v Lawler)...
    test
  6. .:Pain:.

And for the record, I never said BJ doesn't jab, he uses it a lot, more than most fighters, to set up his big punches.

But Nick's jab is definitely more discouraging than BJ's...
    test
  7. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

Crack cocaine. BJ has much better boxing. We've seen Nick get lit up as well. His head movement is shitty as fuck compared to BJ's. And no, BJ does not throw looping punches. You have no idea what you're talking about. He actually throws some of the most crisp, straight punches I've seen in MMA. EVEN FREDDY ROACH SAID BJ PENN IS ONE OF THEE ONLY FIGHTERS IN MMA HE FELT HAD GOOD BOXING.

Nick throws the looping, unorthodox punches. Go watch Penn's last 5 fights.

I don't underestimate his striking style. Point blank, he throws a punch, GSP takes him down. He doesn't throw a punch... GSP is still taking him down. GSP wants it against the cage... It will go there. He wants to keep it standing, he will. Nick has no chance.
    test
  8. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

EXACTLY. BJ has some of the best head movement in MMA. He doesn't get hit in the face much because of that. His footwork is much more crisp as well.

He must have not watched the Sherk or Diego Sanchez fight. Honestly, Sanchez would take it to Diaz (I'm not gonna say beat but would take it to him AT LEAST).
    test
  9. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

That's just stupidity. He takes less damage than Penn? hahaha.... OK. Now your word lost all credibility. In MMA, period... ESPECIALLY FOR THE LEVEL OF COMPETITION, BJ Penn probably takes as little damage as almost any fighter. He never gets hit hard outside of the GSP fight. Machida didn't even hurt him. WTF are you talking about?

And sorry, buddy. That just shows how much MMA you watch. BJ Penn is known for not ever bruising or getting cut. And AGAIN, the level of competition is far off... BJ's fought MUCH BETTER caliber fighters.
    test
  10. Cognitive D.K

Cognitive D.K New Member

what kinda punch did serra clip gsp with again?
    test
  11. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

Are you really gonna compare that GSP to this one? Hmmm.... Please be serious for a second. Has GSP lost once since that fight? How much smarter of a fighter has he become? How much more complete?
    test
  12. Big K

Big K U Wanna Battle?

That statistic was shown just before the Penn/Diego fight @ UFC 107.

When have you seen Penn damaged from stand-up? Other than that superman jab from GSP that broke his nose, I don't really remember any occasion where he was. He's taken some visible damage from ground and pound, but even then, it looked minor compared to how much punishment he actually took.

You'll never see Penn look like Diaz did after he faced Gomi or Noons.
    test
  13. Sabbath

Sabbath Regicidal

just wanted to say ha@ crack cocaine.
    test
  14. Cognitive D.K

Cognitive D.K New Member

what im saying is youre talking absolutes in a completely unabsolute sport

you be serious for a second eh? have you not watched long enough to know that you dont make absolutes in this sport?

nick has worked on his wrestling and although he may not be as strong as gsp, combined with his bjj, gsp would have a hard time laying on nick for 25 mins... nick uses his bjj in mma for 2 things.... escapes and submissions... always short and sweet, he doesnt try to grapple away for 4 mins working toward a sub... and last i checked.... well, ill let you tell me..... who has A- taken him down at will? and B- held him down for more than 30 seconds?

again, what im saying is, you can try to spin your opinion with all the absolutes you want to try and make it sound more credible or legitimate, but the real truth is, nothing is for certain and it would take alot of shit that HASNT been done before to do to nick what you said gsp would do, meanwhile, someone of a lesser caliber has already done to gsp what i said COULD happen.

get me?
    test
  15. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

That doesn't even make any sense. First and foremost, GSP is probably one of thee closest to "absolute" in MMA. He's so well rounded. And we can say that about BJ Penn. Penn has much MUCH better takedown defense (arguably the best in MMA) and GSP took him down at will. Your point? AND BJ HAS BETTER BJJ THAN DIAZ AS WELL. Again, your point?

NO, because that's like saying you weren't sure Michael Jordan was gonna win the NBA titles because he had lost to the Pistons in the past. GSP wasn't half the fighter he was when he fought Serra. And last time I checked, he goes to Brazil to train BJJ at top level schools. He's earned his black belt and added on with him being better at positioning than Diaz due to his wrestling and his major strength advantage, he would control Diaz on the ground WITH EASE. But if you say so. It sounds like you're in denial.

GSP has held down stronger, bigger BJJ black belts and took them down at will. And the only reason he didn't hold Alves down was because he fucked his groin up in the fight. If that hadn't happened, Alves was not getting up.

Your argument about Diaz improving his wrestling sounds identical to the argument of what people were saying when he fought Alves. People said the same shit about Alves and he DOMINATED Alves.
    test
  16. Cognitive D.K

Cognitive D.K New Member

when alves is on nicks level , ill let u know

alves aint shit but an american zaromskis bro

if you wanna make absolutes on a fighter , cool.... do you, i used to do it on fedor all the time, now ive seen it all so me personally? i got no absolutes...

your point about comparing fights is no good to me either.... trigg beat miller beat lawler beat trigg so what?fights rarely go how people expect them to... diaz vs zaromskis case in point - " he will have to finish him on the ground" , " he doesnt want to keep it standing" really? cool , thanks for your 'absolute' opinion

sayin'....

ps- didnt say you said any of that about zaromskis, BUT alot of ppl sure did
    test
  17. Sabbath

Sabbath Regicidal

I'm a Diaz fan, but I admit I expected him to be bested by Shamrock and Zaromskis standing up. Especially Shamrock, as I still questioned Zaromskis a little.

Only MMA guy in his size range I'll say he can't beat standing up is Anderson Silva.
    test
  18. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

You're making no sense. No, I didn't think Zaromskis was going to beat Diaz. Did I think Diaz was going to knock him out? No. Honestly, I thought it would end up on the ground and he'd sub him.

But at the end of the day, what is definite is that if GSP wanted to take Diaz down; HE WOULD. And being GSP is that great of a fighter and seeing what he does in the past (ever since that Serra fight), I'll say it's pretty safe to say he would come up with a gameplan that consists of striking and dipping and taking Diaz down. Do I think Diaz will sub GSP at this point? NO. Do I think anybody in that weight class is subbing GSP from their back at this point? NO.

Subs off their back have become A LOT more rare when it comes to elite level competition. Even Jon Fitch said it after UFC 109. With the exception of Maia and Hazelett, we rarely see subs off the back IN HIGH LEVEL FIGHTS. Why? Because sub defense is mandatory to get to a high level like that. Do I think Diaz can sub GSP if he's on top of GSP? Probably... But would he ever get on top of GSP? NO!

Therefore, GSP would control the fight and dominate him. Just my opinion. To each his own.

And again, Penn has better hands, takedown defense, AND BJJ than Diaz. Only thing Diaz has on him is size and power but that won't mean much because his size and power are nothing compared to GSP's.

In Dragon Ball terms: GSP is a Supersaiyan... Diaz is something like Frieza. Can beat majority of everyone else but Goku.
    test
  19. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

I dunno about that, cuz I'd also factor in GSP clenching and beating him up. Clenching is still within the stand up. If you mean straight hands and feet, you might be right. Belfort would give him a run for his money tho'.
    test
  20. Cognitive D.K

Cognitive D.K New Member

i dont know anything about dragonball

i understand mma just fine

and i disagree with you, i know that you find it hard that i cant sit here and agree with your absolutes or what you think you know, sorry, i cant. not until they fight. gsp hasnt fought anyone with nicks size and skill set combination. i refuse to say anything will go exactly any certain way , because i dont have the ability to see into the future. you have apparently perfected this ability, nice work. im just not that arrogant.

again, refresh me.... when has ANYONE taken nick down at will and then when have they stayed on top of him?

im just glad mma has guys like you who know everything, so guys like me who dont know shit apparently can make stupid bets on underdogs and amazingly somehow win.....

.... in an absolute world
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.