Diaz wants GSP fight

Discussion in 'MMA, Boxing & Other Combat Sports' started by Mac Sabbath, Feb 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cognitive D.K

Cognitive D.K New Member

gnp is the ONLY way bj would beat nick, the standup would go alot like diaz/gomi or diaz/zaromskis

nick doesnt go to the ground for bjj alot either because he doesnt have to either

i honestly dont think bj's striking is as good as KJ noons and bj aint anywhere near tall/long enough IMO

and with the machida thing, you are talking about a fight that happened 5 yrs ago homeboy.... if i were to judge nick for his fights in the ufc 4-5 yrs ago then we wouldnt be having this discussion.... i think its safe to say lyoto is a completely diff fighter than he was in 05 yes?
    test
  2. Cognitive D.K

Cognitive D.K New Member

here is just some food for thought.... penn has not fought anyone over 5'10 since early 05

he has only fought 1 guy that is OVER 6' tall, lyoto machida... that was in 05

trust me when i tell you, bj aint used to guys nicks size... gsp is long and rangy and bigger ... but he is still only 5'10

you underestimate nicks size for 170, alot of people do

ask gomi, ask shamrock, ask lawler, ask zaromskis, ask inoue, or denny or oishi or corbbrey or tibau or neer if those extra 3-5 inches made a difference in their fights with nick

just sayin
    test
  3. DahStoryTella

DahStoryTella knowledge of self

Good points.
    test
  4. zyclon B gas

zyclon B gas sososerious

not saying it wouldn't be a good fight, just saying gsp would beat him.

it's like all these guys that are like "we're gonna beat bj penn" then just get ruined. same thing happens when people talk about beating gsp. just not gonna happen. gsp, penn and silva aren't gonna lose anytime soon.
    test
  5. .:Pain:.

.:Pain:. Futurely J. Keeper

That's just a bit on the assumptive side, wouldn't you say? Gomi doesn't have the power or explosiveness standing that BJ does, because few people do. And as far as The Whitemare is concerned, let's face it, granted he was a good contender, he wasn't top tier material. Diaz absolutely is, but he's just a couple notches below BJ and GSP, but still high above most of the herd.
    I agree on that about Nick, but man, if you don't think that BJ is the best BJJ practitioner at that weight, or maybe even any weight, I think you'd be alone on that island.

As far as KJ Noons, I think BJ has more power and explosiveness than him. KJ is nothing to be fucked with, for sure, but BJ's stand-up has improved dramatically over the years, you can't deny that. I won't say he's top tier standing up, but he's getting damn close, and his striking looks better and crisper with every fight.
    I actually think the Nick Diaz five years ago would've beaten the BJ five years ago. Not because Diaz got worse, but BJ has improved everything, and made all his weaknesses strengths. Nick has gotten better, yes, but I honestly can't think of many fighters who have improved as much as BJ over the past decade or so.

And saying Lyoto is a completely different fighter is ridiculous, his fighting style is exactly the same, he just sharpened everything up and gained more ring intelligence.
    You're right, he only beat just about all of the best of the best they threw at him. Also, we should point out that BJ is constantly fighting above the weight he should be fighting at, and usually succeeds.
    To say that BJ isn't used to Nick's size is a little ridiculous. BJ trains with people that size, probably bigger. He did hold his own against Lyoto. Trust me, BJ is prepared to fight someone that size or bigger, and to say otherwise is almost a slight to all that BJ has accomplished and how dedicated of a fighter he is.
    None are even close to BJ's level. Frank was at one point, but now he's old. Gomi is/was overrated if you ask me, same with Enson.

You can't make comparisons like those because no one really compares to BJ. He's in a league of his own for the most part...
    test
  6. Cognitive D.K

Cognitive D.K New Member

how long u been watching mma for?

dont make absolutes in this sport ever. anyone can lose on any day.... nick aint gonna lose for a while either, and people keep saying theyre going to beat nick, last time i checked nicks winning streak is twice as long as bj's
    test
  7. Cognitive D.K

Cognitive D.K New Member

huh? i said with a gi on sure, but when have you seen him use this 'insane bjj' in mma? how do you know his mma bjj is any better than nicks? there is a diff between putting on a gi and getting on the mat, and stepping int a cage or oct
    test
  8. Cognitive D.K

Cognitive D.K New Member

oh dude nick has improved every bit as much as penn.... he used to get layed on and decisioned now he just boxes peoples faces off... all the guys that beat him he would destroy with maybe the exception of sanchez and i think he would smoke him as well. esp after watching bj box him up

bj fought at a higher weight class because he was a lazy fuck who didnt want to take the sport or cutting seriously....

nick fought katsuya inoue not enson... katsuya was king of pancrease and he is still droppin fools

we can agree to disagree but i think nick beats penns face standing and the fight is over in a round.

thats just me
    test
  9. Big K

Big K U Wanna Battle?

Unless he decides to go back to HW/LHW/MW, NO ONE will finish BJ in one round.

And I fucking hate Penn.
    test
  10. .:Pain:.

.:Pain:. Futurely J. Keeper

Like I said, he hasn't really needed to use it. When he does, he'll do some extra shit like trap the person's arm when he's doing a rnc.

Plus, is Nick a black belt or a brown belt? I might be mistaken, but I think he's a brown belt.

I know the only difference really between brown and black is gi work, but still, it just shows how dedicated to BJJ BJ is, and how hard he's worked at it.
    That is true, but BJ has improved more than anyone I can really think of to be honest. He used to be the guy that was good to beat anyone on any given day, but wouldn't on occasion. Now, he's just too much.
    lol Never said otherwise, just sayin' he was fighting people bigger than him.

My mistake.
    Fair enough. Hopefully, we'll get to see the fight someday...
    test
  11. KaTZ

KaTZ Active Member

BJ Penn Greatest Lightweight of All-Time
    test
  12. Cognitive D.K

Cognitive D.K New Member

nick has been a cesar gracie black belt for 2 years now.... go youtube some of his bjj shit, nobody wants to hit the mat with nick.... penn would/could never sub him
    test
  13. Anonymous

Anonymous ....profound

Diaz isn't on GSP's level.

and lol @ people saying Penn and Diaz would be good.

Sanchez beat Diaz up. point blank. and that was before Sanchez got serious with it. and Penn made Sanchez look pretty sad in the cage.

Penn -would- knock out Diaz. point blank. they are not on the same level at all loool.
    test
  14. Cognitive D.K

Cognitive D.K New Member

right....

youre alone in that one for the most part

diaz is more improved at this point since that fight than sanchez is.... youre talking about a fight 4+ yrs ago that was previous to nicks style change and evolution as a striker....

if dana wasnt a pussy we would see this fight, but it will never happen
    test
  15. Sabbath

Sabbath Regicidal

Yeah, Diaz has improved a lot since then. He used to fight more like Nate with grappling first striking second, now he has a lot more confidence in his stand up.

Not even saying he would beat Sanchez, but it WOULD be a different fight.
    test
  16. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

I'm gonna leave it at this because I know this is gonna turn into a HUGE argument. I won't come back in here. I'll leave my two cents and bow down.

I think BJ has better hands than Nick but Nick has more power and reach. I still think BJ would be harder to hit because he also has better head movement and is a lot more polished. From what I've seen, BJ's BJJ is better. Even tho' he doesn't use it much, when he needs to, it looks EXTREMELY good control wise and positioning wise. He's near impossible to pass, won't be submitted, has an extremely flexible high guard to control posture unless you're incredibly strong like GSP, and his position game is near flawless on the ground. He's also harder to take down and if he REALLY wanted to set up a takedown after his near flawless (FOR MMA) boxing, I think he'd be able to control where the fight goes as well. Just my opinion. I think BJ would either win a points match or TKO.

As for GSP... I don't think Diaz has a chance in hell. He's not subbing GSP and he's not knocking him out. GSP would fight him way to smart and confuse him wayyyyy to much with his mixing up of striking, clench, and takedowns. Plus, he could overpower the shit outta him whenever he wants to as well.
    test
  17. Sabbath

Sabbath Regicidal

I agree with this for the most part actually.
    test
  18. Cognitive D.K

Cognitive D.K New Member

i agree with about 70% of it
    test
  19. DahStoryTella

@ Pain.

Nate's the brown belt, Nick is the black belt.

Both under Cesar Gracie of course.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  20. DahStoryTella

Great post.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.