Defined Poetry

Discussion in 'Writer's Block' started by Xero Satsujin, Sep 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xero Satsujin

Xero Satsujin OnLy gOd kNoWs oR Goes

What is poetry to every poet as an individual? Or do most even consider themselves to be poets or just writers?

To me, poetry is almost a way of life. Eat, sleep, think, be poetry. I remember reading once that a poet looks at the world the way a man looks at a woman...Tis true, because inspiration can be found on every mountain top and every valley low...Even in the smallest of things, there is inspiration...

Anyway, yall let me know what yall feelin???
    test
  2. tk2oo3

tk2oo3 New Member

poetry? hmm to me its an art form, a way of life? maybe.. maybe it is a way of life depends to what extent you take it, if you take it serious then yes it gets incorporated into your life to become a major piece of it..
    to me poetry is jus a way of expression, and i guess a sense of purpose in life im dedicated to it, though i dont try to write when there is no need i rather live an i guess absorb life around me for writing and write when ready.. to me its the deepest description of myself somethin like a mirror image.. i guess its also a wound that only grows bigger & deeper cuz it causes me more pain each time.. to me its a characteristic that defines me though its not really poetry i rap too and im gettin into drawing so art characterizes me.. i think it gives meanin to life at least for me cuz ive made it a big part of mine.. its one true love that can never betray you..
    test
  3. Dark_Angel

Dark_Angel Dark_Angel

to me poetry is just apart of me, i just write its like a normal part of everyday life for me...i consider myself a writer and i think the word 'poet' is too strong for me till i work on my poetry more, but it is like the air...it just is for me..
    test
  4. Feme Sole

Feme Sole Mrs. _Evil

poets, and any kind of artist for that matter, SEE things instead of simply looking at them......sometimes i actually THINK in poetry it sort of hard to explain.....

"dont be offended this is all my opinion aint nothin that im sayin law"--ms. arie
    test
  5. *Princess*

*Princess* skantless bitch

i agree with feme...poetry is an art just like painting or drawing or music instead of just hearing the words or seeing the painting like others do, poets find the message thats being sent

and ya, for me its a way to release my emotions with out physically hurting someone...
    test
  6. Lights Out

Lights Out Yo Pops Dont Like Me

to me if some happens or if somebody says something i take it onboard write it down like 'i'#ma use that later' poetry is just my way of tellin the world even though only bout 1-2 people see my shitas i ain't p[osted any online yt
    test
  7. Xero Satsujin

Well, it seems that it depends on the person because not everybody is fully and truthfully poetic...We often forget to look at it as a gift and a blessing, but, anyway, the more replies the better I guess...But it seems to me that most have to be provoked to write, and not just write for the sake of writing...thats a good thing though...
    test
  8. Poetry is life to me, its everything speaking out and attempting to understand itself.
    test
  9. Xero Satsujin

The key to understanding is learning more about what you already know...that way, nobody can ever tell you any different...That, to me, is the way ones poetry should be, that way nobody can ever say nobody's poetry is wrong or falsified....
    test
  10. marc antony

marc antony It's all about da ass....

i wanna be an english teacher so understanding the many forms of literary expression is definitely a must....
    i basically live poetry....not in a freaky psychotic kinda way either....
    test
  11. misspimp

misspimp a.k.a KATURAH

Poetry used to be eating, sleeping and thinking poetry...until my mother told me she wasnt going to pay my college tuition if i majored in creative writing or english....i use to carry a pen and paper with me around everywhere...
    Now when i write...its more like therapy...writing to get alot of my chest and what not...its verys eldom anymore that i write about things that dont have to do with my life....and i do alot more thinking now before i write than what i use to....

I dont neccessarily know whether or not i should call myself a poet or even a writer for that matter....I love writing poetry Sometimes i feel like its the only thing that keeps me sane besides a newport...and dats the truth!!...Ive never relaly been into writing short stories or anything else besides poetry...so i guess im a poet in a sense...

mad love
    test
  12. Xero Satsujin

Well Misspimp, its good that you think of yourself as a poet...because writing, in the sense, is the essence of poetry. But, when you take a look at it, poetry is everything, poetry in motion, in life, in all...
    test
  13. Xero Satsujin

Ok, I'm too lazy to make the post again, so I just went back some pages and brought it up to the front, lol...But still, it stands as what is poetry defined to you as the writer/poet?
    test
  14. Psycho69

Psycho69 A Soul Born In Verse

I don't see myself as a poet, I don't really know if I can even be seen as a writer.

I wrote a song 3 years ago called "Suicide Letter" and then "My Gun, My Voice"... One was a song, the other was a skit that rhymes. Both had no emotional ties to me or could really relate to me and I honestly have no explenation as to why I wrote them. I just gave it an attempt and stopped. Then last summer, I can say I fell in love and it made me write a poem about her and for some reason ever since that day I kept writing since and it was like a daily thing you just have to do and think about. It was like something I felt i had to keep doing.. Kinda like it was a part of me now, I can't really explain it.
    test
  15. nathedawg

nathedawg New Member

lol
    mmm.. lets see

Poetry is me, I am poetry

I am fortunate enough to be blessed with the talent it takes to write poetry and im utilizing all means necessary to contribute to the world with my talent. I find that i am not obligated to write poetry, but rather i write poetry on my own terms, i write for the sake of writing

thats all for now
    test
  16. Evg.poet

Evg.poet As the Heart Speaks...

Poetry is me.......
    test
  17. nathedawg

nathedawg New Member

when i sit down to write a poem, it is not out of any sort of obligation, it is merely out of want on my part. I love poetry, and other people who express themselves as poetic are mos def true people. At least they are being true to themselves...
    test
  18. Clarksvegas_Dan

Clarksvegas_Dan Registered Voter

A lot of poets/artists/and other creative people from the past were severely disturbed individuals. So in that way I could classify myself with them.lol

But really I just listened to rap music for so long and one day I just felt inspired to write something of my own. I still think my writing sucks and I don't think I could ever be a rapper.lol But I think that everytime I write I'm adding tools to my poetic tool box. One day maybe I can build a house.lol

I write for myself though. Most of my poems have never been seen, especially the ones I'm most proud of. I only want to post on here for a little while and then return to my reclusive lifestyle. It's better for me that way. Maybe somebody will like my poems and that's cool. But if not, that's cool too. I like em, in a way. That's why I write them. It's me in my poems. It's something I cant express in any other way. I dunno know maybe it's even necessary for me to maintain some level of sanity.
    test
  19. predicate

predicate New Member

If you want profound ideas on poetry, rather than simple "I love and live and am poetry" comments, read "Poetry, Language, Thought" by Martin Heideggar (I might have misspelled his last name. Those German names are too confusing).
    test
  20. Xero Satsujin

I was asking the people of the realm and of the site. Their ideas of poetry are profound to them because it is how they are and what their thoughts lead to be. And LOVE, of all things, is not simple, let alone living poetry. Regardless, not going to argue the issue...
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.