Dear humanity, where are you going?

Discussion in 'IntroSpectrum' started by GaLaTeA, May 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GaLaTeA

GaLaTeA GymArt

A while ago I attended a seminar (rather against my will, but ok), where a gentleman went on and on, how a person should have long-term plans. It's expected of every person to have a vision, a greater goal to which then a person would devote his/her time and energy. The goal is to represent motivation to escape an otherwise boring routine. Goals should supposedly be set for at least 5 to 10 years in advance.

The matter does and doesn't make sense. On one hand, I understand it, even find it reasonable, that every person should have a vision that makes sense and has a reason, in order to easier wage battles with themselves, society and expectations. On the other hand, I find such mechanical life even more boring. Isn't the most exciting part of life the fact that you don't know what awaits you in the future? If you think about it, actually, any day can be one's last. Which brings me back full circle to thinking everyone needs a goal. Probably to console ourselves that it's not all for nothing. That no battle was fought in vain.

Now, I wonder and I ask you: what is the long-term goal of humanity?

Is it really all so pointless, that we never asked ourselves collectively: "Where are we going? What do we want?"

Is it really worth it to live, suffer and die for ~ nothing?

No goals, milestones, nothing. So we focus on micromanagement of small entities, so much so, that we completely lost the global picture. Each in his/her own world probably going somewhere specific, known, outlined. But the world ~ as a whole ~ wandering without a clear goal to nothing.

We needed thousands of years in order to create a world where we can spend and regulate lives more or less comfortably. Now what? Will we continue to upgrade this level of comfort, improve what we have? And then what?

Just for consideration, two very banal scenarios:
    Can you imagine that global objectives could be defined: to eliminate poverty by 2020 ~ and then have the whole world working on it? Actively, transparently.

Can you imagine, what if you defined a goal: by 2030 to find the "cure for cancer" and then it all came together to open up the budget and the research would be underway. No more hidden discoveries and insights for the sake of minimum unique scientific contributions, as this would again prove to be micromanagement, but we would operate transparently and uniformly. Together, with the objective.

If you laughed at these ideas and said: "Yes, of course, we can," then welcome to reality. Indeed, humanity as a whole acts as a very lost homeless person, who's goal is to live though just another day. If he fails, so be it. Whatever, makes no difference.
    • Hot Thread Hot Thread x 1
    test
  2. Alias3000

Alias3000 Well-Known Member

To Hell, fast!
    test
  3. Digi7oll

Digi7oll Member

I think of it this way. A lot of people plan out their lives, such as a doctor, going to school for 7+ years and all this hard work and shit, by the time the goal is reached, they would be 25 or so. Now, think back to the years which you could re-live. Does the adamant studiousness sound worth it?

I see life as a hourglass, not only is money and all that other shit important, but so is time and the current present which you reside. If one spends all his time to a distant future where a goal resides, then essentially, they miss the present. Now, this is no way me preaching about not having goals, but it is simply another mode of thinking.
    test
  4. breathlesss

breathlesss Registered Sex Offender

why not meld the two viewpoints? and realize that the living for today cannot continue without a future that will hold more todays to live in.
    test
  5. UnbrokeN

UnbrokeN Well-Known Member

by all means, to ''hell'' with us!

we (humanity) are destined to reach technological and medicinal advances that are beyond our comprehension at this time, all it really takes is time and effort/ manpower. the latter is aboutto hit critical mass with almost 7 billion people, scientific progress has been increasing exponentially since the 1800's. and that was just 200 years ago. imagine how the world will look in 500 years..or 5.000 years for that instance. it will be INSANE.

so the greater goal for all of us humans can be only this: spiritual AND scientifical evolution until we completely understand the universe and ourselves and are able to control it AT will. this is our destiny..we are Godlike.
    test
  6. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

i think its taken too literal.

Long term goal in life. Always work towards something. Becoming a better person, becoming less stressed, overcoming a fear etc etc
    not necessarily but not barring becoming an excellent violin player, becoming a doctor, buying a house etc etc

I think it is important, but its more important to realize the possibilities of what that goal can be.

the long term goal of humanity is to become more human. Break free of the bonds that hold us back from being ourselves. Its on its way, maybe not in our lifetime, but the wheels have been set in motion and positive change is coming.

nothing is pointless, the point is to stop thinking so much and enjoy. Live in the moment.
    test
  7. x calibur

x calibur

there is a fork in the road of the future. we can take one of two paths:

1. the stars
    2. remain earthbound

if we take the first, and colonize outer space, our race will survive and continue to develop. that is Leto IIs Golden Path. that is Toynbee's Challenge and Response.

if we take the second, and stay here, we'll eventually meet some sort of dystopia. I'm not sure what that will be - ruthless resource wars? nuclear desolation? a eusocial human hive with castes enforced by genetic engineering, implants and conditioning? the matrix? or maybe something else.

either way, I don't see a promising future if we remain on this one planet. the only way out is up.
    test
  8. zyclon B gas

zyclon B gas sososerious

there's no money in the cures. humanity trickles on because if we were to suddenly fix our problems, then the companies that thrive off of the business the problems cause would no longer be needed, and many millionaires and billionaires would have to get real jobs.
    test
  9. Your Idol

Your Idol ♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠

Why does a future goal scare you so much?

Just because you have a goal doesn't necessarily mean you can meet it. Nothing in life pans out as perfectly as you hope it can.
    test
  10. NewLogic

NewLogic New Member

I agree with x calibur, well maybe just Toynbee and that is to colonize space. That is the ultimate goal humanity should have right now, because their are so many scenarios that can go down and humanities existence will be wiped out forever!
    Not eliminate poverty! Maybe, what type of poverty are we talking about? People living on less than $2 a day? There are plenty of poor people (like really poor, not living in section 8 housing with food stamps) who are happy. Indigenous people in Colombia, and the Amazon.
    A personal favorite to humanities goals I'd like to see come to fruition is Robots! Not Terminators ones but Bicentennial man ones.
    test
  11. M-theory

M-theory Saint Esprit

I don't have any long-term goals for humanity. It's a reciprocal thing. I think I can sort my own life out, we can do it individually, without having someone micromanage my life. This is my own choice, but I have no issues with those who want to act as a group. There are many things that I can do, like recycle, pick up litter, not contribute to the litter... in the matters of saving the environment, for example. I see nothing wrong with collective goals, and for those who have a cause I say go for it, spread your message. It may help us all in the long run. But as for me, my cult mindset is my own personality. And everyone has a right to choose their own.

This is a good mind exercise, but if you're asking me on a personal level it's for naught. I don't want to do the thinking for others as I've made quite clear.

Who says I'm doing it for nothing? I have many opportunities, a number of goals, and a heck of a future before me. I have people around me, we help each other, and we grow together. I think that's enough to ask for. Is there something more? There's plenty more, of course. We have no power but to leave that up to "God." Or maybe we do have the power, but it isn't worth it in my humble opinion.

Yes. You're hitting on the nail. This is exactly the life I'm supporting for myself. I am perfectly happy this way. I would not have it any other way.

I'm not following. This is not in my power. This is something that happens more or less randomly as far as I and many others are concerned. Those who wish to have an element of control are welcome to chime in.

These are all welcome contributions to humanity, undoubtingly. Here's where I must ask: But what can *I* do to help? See, not everyone is aware of their options.

If someone laughed and said "Yes of course we can," and this is reality, then they must have already been in this reality you speak of. Someone like me isn't going to doubt it, but certainly I have to ask the question as I did above. You haven't done much to cure my condition so to speak in just pointing that out. I'm still dumbfounded see, I have things to do, people to see. Where do I get the needed information? HELP ME!

Well thank you for pointing that out. It made my day. I'm still lost.

Bye-bye
    test
  12. Alias3000

Alias3000 Well-Known Member

This nigga is definitely off his meds...lol
    test
  13. x calibur

x calibur

lmao @ you of all people saying that.

actually, I was dropping knowledge. you need to open your third eye and gain understanding.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.