De La Hoya/Mayweather Venue has been Picked

Discussion in 'Sports Central' started by ~OMagic~, Dec 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ~OMagic~

~OMagic~ Well-Known Member

MGM Grand site for De La Hoya-Mayweather boutBy Dan Rafael
    ESPN.com

First, Oscar De La Hoya and Floyd Mayweather Jr. agreed to fight May 5. Now, we know where they will do battle.

Although it was one of boxing's worst-kept secrets, Golden Boy Promotions made it official Wednesday, announcing that junior middleweight title holder De La Hoya and welterweight champ and pound-for-pound king Mayweather will fight at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

Staples Center in Los Angeles had also been in the running, but ultimately Las Vegas can generate more money.

De La Hoya-Mayweather is expected to generate the largest live gate in Nevada history. The 1999 heavyweight championship rematch between Lennox Lewis and Evander Holyfield holds the current record with ticket sales totaling $16,830,300.

The gate for De La Hoya-Mayweather could exceed $18 million because promoters have priced the tickets in the stratosphere. Ringside seats are $2,000; other tickets are priced at $1,500, $1,000, $750 and $350. By contrast, a ringside ticket for the highly anticipated Manny Pacquiao-Erik Morales rubber match at Las Vegas' Thomas & Mack Center cost just $500.

The De La Hoya-Mayweather tickets are not on sale yet, but the date will be announced soon, Golden Boy said.

"This fight will be unlike any fight anyone has ever seen," said Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer. "The promotion of this fight, from the initial press conference to fight night, also will be unprecedented in its scope. We have no doubt this will be the biggest boxing event of all time and one that will go down in the history books as such."

That the bout wound up at the MGM Grand should come as little surprise to anyone who has followed De La Hoya's career. His last four bouts and six of his last eight have taken place there. Also, De La Hoya's company, Golden Boy, has made the MGM Grand its home when it promotes fights in Las Vegas.

"MGM Grand is extremely excited to host this championship event," said Richard Sturm, president of sports and entertainment for MGM Mirage. "The Grand Garden Arena has been the home to the greatest title fights in the sport's history and we know the De La Hoya-Mayweather fight will be at the top of the list. The atmosphere in the arena certainly will be electric and our guests and fans will experience a spectacular event."

De La Hoya (38-4, 30 KOs), who won a junior middleweight belt this past May by knocking out Ricardo Mayorga in the sixth round, said he can only get up for big fights. This one, he said, qualifies.

"This is what boxing is all about, and fighting Floyd Mayweather is the type of fight that truly gets me motivated to go through a hard training camp and make the sacrifices I have to make to be the best," De La Hoya said. "We've talked about it, the press and the fans have asked for it, and now we're going to put it all on the line and fight. I can't wait for May 5."

Mayweather (37-0, 24 KOs), won the welterweight title on a dominant decision victory against Carlos Baldomir on Nov. 4 and is now moving up in weight to challenge De La Hoya.

"I'm excited to get this opportunity to once again show why I'm pound-for-pound the best in the world and to add another title to my collection,"Mayweather said. "I respect everything Oscar has accomplished in this sport, but this time he's in over his head."

May 5th will be an EXTRAVAGANZA!
    test
  2. veral conflict

veral conflict beatsrus

how much the ppv gone be??

i heard some say 59.99, but not sure..

hope its 49
    test
  3. ~OMagic~

hopefully it doesnt cost too much... only time will tell though.

the promotional tour is gonna start in february, I cant wait
    test
  4. VishTaphney

VishTaphney Guest

I heard Oscar is on the Verge of dropping floyd sr for this fight and hopping on board with freddie roach...oscar said he doesnt like to have the focus be on father vs son and he said it may be a distraction for him at press cons.
    test
  5. ~OMagic~

I was expecting you to come through with usual ignorance on some "Floyd is money hungry and has a big ego... he will make the PPV 79.99"
    test
  6. VishTaphney

VishTaphney Guest

omagic

stop thinking negative on me think positive lol...
    test
  7. ~OMagic~

lol but you are usually so negative when Floyd is the topic
    test
  8. VishTaphney

VishTaphney Guest

omagic...some time the truth hurts...when i speak of floyd my intention is not to be negative.
    test
  9. ~OMagic~

Come on now lets be real... you go so far as to speak about his personal life, which you know NOTHING about, all you know is what the media wants you to know yet you still make dumb assumptions
    test
  10. dun dun dun dun

dun dun dun dun New Member

Also, Vish loves to change his arguments when there's a contradiction within it.

First it's "Mayweather couldn't sell any PPV's, no one wants to see him fight."

3 consecutive 300,000 PPV buys later it's:

"People only pay to see him fight because of all of his promotional stunts."
    test
  11. ~OMagic~

Vish changes up a lot man.

One day I post the new Ring Magazine P4P Rankings and because Pacquiao is not #1 he says certain things like "Ring magazine isnt right.... There are other better lists" etc...

Then when he reads in some biased BS article that Pacquiao is gonna move up he posts the article talking bout "Manny is moving up to #1 and Ring Magazine is the most respected boxing source"

So I shut his whole shit down by posting the new up to date rankings (including all boxers most recent fights) and Floyd is still #1 and he just quiets down and acts like he doesnt care anymore
    test
  12. VishTaphney

VishTaphney Guest

I aint even gonna waste my time with you biased floyd fans...
    test
  13. VishTaphney

VishTaphney Guest

floyd is mason the line dixon undefeated and really untested.

emmanuel agustus gave floyd a challenge but his corner stopped it.
    test
  14. ~OMagic~

Vish come on man... why avoid certain things.

Okay okay you say I am biased... Im not gonna argue back about that right now because I know you will avoid my ext question.

If I am biased... then what does that make you?? Considering you post countless threads big upping Manny and countless threads downing Floyd??

What does that make you??

Answer that
    test
  15. VishTaphney

VishTaphney Guest

Makes me a fan of boxing....and me big upping manny is nothing more then saying boxing aint dead...

most of my friends watch ufc and if you dont think ufc is taking over wait and see how chuck vs tito on dec 30 makes 2 million ppv buys or more...it will probally out do oscar vs floyd.

I used to train in mma and I still watch it but my first love is boxing...and its a shame that we lack a heavyweight division and exciting fighters...i big up manny cause he fights the fight that fans and people love to watch, he aint scared to lose...floyd is scared to lose he fights cautious...everyone respects rocky for giving it his all...he fought the best even thought he wasnt he wanted to challenge himself.

floyd cared about money, and his zero.

he never wanted to challenge himself...he kept saying lets make the fight big build your name up for margarito lol...a real fighter who wants challenges and aint scared will say ya know aht this mufucka calling me out? imma shut him up.

put up or shut up...thats why i am a fan of the pacman.

floyd only talks ya imma toe to toe with baldo, imma toe to toe with oscar lol no you aint fool you lie like a damn dog.
    test
  16. ~OMagic~

Wow you totally avoided the shit again... you never cease to amaze me kid.

You will never admit you are biased... you just never will.

Youve posted dumb shit big upping Manny

You posted a fuckin larry merchant video where he said he likes Manny in his p4p rankings.... I fuckin gurantee if he said Floyds name you would not have posted the video.

If you go through your threads I am willing to bet 90% of them are upping manny or downing floyd
    test
  17. ~OMagic~

25-37 68%

No no Vish these arent someones test scores... these are your thread stats in Sports Central.

Threads stats you ask??

25 of your last 37 threads in Sports Central have been either DOWNING Floyd or UPPING Pacquiao.

Now you say you do it because you are showing boxing isnt dead... I say you are doing it because you nut hug Pacquiao.

Come on now 25 threads out of 37 is fuckin obsessive.

If you tryna say boxing isnt dead then start making threads about a bunch of boxers.

How the fuck can 25 Manny Pacqiauo threads be promoting the sport of boxing?!?!

Admit it, you are biased
    test
  18. dun dun dun dun

dun dun dun dun New Member

I also admit that I'm biased towards Floyd.

But if I'm biased, then Vish is fanatical. At least you can man up to the contradictions that you make. Instead, you just ignore them.
    test
  19. Wrectify1

Wrectify1 New Member

Why is Floyd ducking Antonio Margarito? He would've made alot of money with that fight as well...yet..he chooses to fight an old Oscar del la hoya who got owned by Hopkins. I don't think it's about the money at all..Floyd is scared of fighters who have the capabilities of exposing him. Floyd fights the same way he chooses his battles.....ducks and runs during fights......and he just runs from anyone with any real talent. That Baldamir fight was a joke. Mayweather is only good against fighters who just stand there...so floyd can just dance around..punch and run...what a pussy. I hope De la hoya owns that arrogant clown. Floyd better retire b because one day..he is going to get owned like Tyson did. Someone is going to catch his scary ass backing up and he is going to get floored...too bad Baldamir was too slow and slothly to catch on to that. Floyd fights so off-balance...it's ridiculous...he's going to get clocked..watch.
    test
  20. ~OMagic~

Wow you do not know anything kid... Floyd fights off balance?!?!

I wont even continue... your day is done kid
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.