dancehall/reggae greats

Discussion in 'Reggae Bashment' started by L u c y, Feb 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. L u c y

L u c y (Administrator) SWERVE

I'm about to start this off (stickied above), who do you consider an all time great?
    You know the artists who did/do it big? Made their mark?
    test
  2. KanKut

KanKut New Member

Count Machuki (first "Toaster" ever recorded)

Godfather Daddy U-Roy (first DJ to chart 1,2 & 3 on Billboard charts (UK/JA)

Clement "Coxsone" Dodd (founder of Studio One; producer of 80% of Riddims in JA (From early '62..Foundation Riddims)

Osbourne "King Tubby" Ruddock (inventor of Dub)

Lee "Stratch" Perry (founder;producer of Black Ark..produced early Reggae gems for Bob Marley & The Wailers)

Robert "Nesta" Marley (founder;original member of The Wailers)
    test
  3. SiFu

SiFu Burning Down Babylon!

Could we put the Barret brothers on the list??? I know they were Wailers to but Aston formulated the most amazing reggae basslines and his brother Carly invented the one drop which every roots reggae band uses to this day!!!

PEACE
    test
  4. KanKut

KanKut New Member

Oh absolutely..let's also put on there, Sly & Robbie, Leroy "Horsemouth" Wallace, Ernest Ranglin, Theo Beckford, Desmond Dekker, Ken Boothe, Alton Ellis, Don Drummond, Tommy McCook, Richard "Dirty Harry" Hall, Lord Creator, Garnett Silk, Junior Murvin, I-Roy..nuff people!
    test
  5. SiFu

SiFu Burning Down Babylon!

lol damn homie knows his stuff!!! we need you on these boards bruv, educate away!!

You mean Jr Marvin tho right? he once told me a story how he came up with the intro to could you be loved....he also told me how him and Elton John were tea boys at a London record label and it came down to the label giving one or the other a shot....and they gave it to Elton lol

if we talking dancehall then I'd have to say Yellowman, Jixxy King and purely for his clashes Ninjaman

PEACE
    test
  6. KanKut

KanKut New Member

Nah..Junior Murvin, the man who penned the great tune "Police & Thieves"..he also was a background singer working with Lee "Stratch" Perry and also contributed guitar duty for some of the Black Ark riddims..

Now Dancehall..a wide range of artists that covers over 50 years..We can talk about the Count Machuki, Lord Creator, King Stitt and U-Roy from one era, Prince Jazzbo, Prince Far-I, I-Roy, Dennis Alcapone from another or..start from the digital era with artists such as Pompidoo, Tonto Irie, General Trees, Admiral Bailey an so forth..nuff nuff artist.
    test
  7. L u c y

L u c y (Administrator) SWERVE

Police & thieves in tha streets oh yeeeeah, one of my pops fave tunes.

Hey dont forget Sugar Minott, Dennis Brown, Pable Moses, and HUGH MUNDELL. Rico
    and Big Youth, his version of Marvin Gaye's 'whats goin on' >>>

nuff nuff tunes, so little time!
    KanKut welcome..
    test
  8. KanKut

KanKut New Member

Ites, Green & Gold Lucy! Jah Bless..

Speaking of Sugar..his rendition of "Mind Blowing Decisions" by Heatwave..is awesome. Plus, we can't forget The Chosen Few who made a wicked re-lick of Issac Hayes' "Shaft"..but yes, Hugh Mundell was a righteous youth, a lovely voice who passed before his time.."Ital Sip" is one of my favorites..

Oh speaking of Murvin.."Cool Out Son"..wicked!

Big Youth "Every Nigger Is A Star".., I-Roy's "Black Man Time", Trinity's "SAMS", Junior Byles' "Fade Away"..eventhough Little John did his remake of this tune, good, but no better than the original..

One of my favorite, underrated DJs would have to be John Wayne "Call The Police"..wicked tune.."It's a robbery, call the police for me..eh?" Also, General Echo, Poppa Tollo "Nuff Stylee", Michigan & Smiley "Diseases" & "Eye Of Danger"..
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.