Creationist offers $10,000 for anyone to debunk the Genesis account

Discussion in 'The Sanctuary' started by TheBigPayback, Mar 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reggie jax

reggie jax Well-Known Member

that's a fair point, but i think that the challenge is actually to demonstrate that a literal reading of genesis is incompatible with science. if this is what is being challenged, then i wonder if proposing such a workaround undermines the principles of science enough to make the argument that the two are incompatible on that basis alone. it would seem to me that proposing such a workaround undermines science's ability to explain any of the questions that creationism answers. i would think this makes them incompatible.

if instead of that approach they decide to challenge the dating methods, then you run into sort of the same problem. the only technically irrefutable argument against the dating methods are along the lines of "maybe radioactive elements didn't always decay at the same rate" or "maybe light didn't always travel at the same speed." yet again to propose such a workaround undermines the principles that make science work.
    test
  2. TheBigPayback

TheBigPayback God Particle

Evidence u say?
    test
  3. TheBigPayback

Right the speed of expansion, radiation afterglow, size of the universe are all inconstants
    test
  4. x calibur

x calibur

indeed. assuming that the challenge is whether science is compatible with Genesis or not, you're right.
    test
  5. lyricalpriest

lyricalpriest Rap Games Dawson Creek

lemme be first to say all symbolism, rhetoric, metaphors in genisis can be compared to scientific interpratation of creation. Instead of arguinf semantics why dnt they try and figure out hpw to debunk the corruption from the bible
    test
  6. reggie jax

i got that impression from the guardian.

Creationist stakes $10,000 on contest between Bible and evolution | World news | guardian.co.uk

but now that im looking at the washington times, i see i got the challenge wrong.

Creationist bets $10,000 that nobody can disprove Genesis - Washington Times
    test
  7. antilluminati

antilluminati Well-Known Member

Kinda debunked in the way that this "theory" only exists in a storybook. There is no proof or fact to support it, therefore until it is, it is made up in the same way that you can't debunk dragons, unicorns, vampires, Hogwarts and Narnie exists. Burden of proof is on creationists.
    test
  8. TheBigPayback

Gettin schooled by john lennox
    test
  9. ChromeDepot

ChromeDepot Member

No. No no no...no.
    test
  10. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

they just say god says so that's why.

its the fall back.
    test
  11. AliceHouse

AliceHouse The House Always Wins

I might have to leave for greener pastures. I'm not ready to teach, I still seek to learn.

But I've studied both modern and ancient paganism.

I'm quite familiar with the gods and monsters of various ancient people.

I know the difference between the East and the West.

I've studied the life and teachings of Gautama Buddha. I've found them to be unfailing and wise.

I've read cover to cover all twenty six volumes of the Encyclopedia of Unexplained Mysteries.

I've read the bible. I've done my bible study. One would even dare call me a Christian because I recognize the truth and wisdom in the words of Christ.

I've read the Quran. The more times I've read it, the more I believed in it.

The more I studied Islam, the more I lost my faith in it.

But more than this, I was that kid in the back of the class reading textbooks from straight front to back.

I've also read this...

[​IMG]

Creationists have absolutely nothing to stand on.

All they can do is to continue to "teach the controversy" so that zealots like TheBigPayback will have their faith confirmed.

However, they "confirm" their faith with a lack of critical analysis. Totally lacking any rational thought.

This. Is. Dangerous.
    test
  12. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

I too like Buddhist philosophy
    condemns nobody, unlike other mainstream religions

I also studied Yoga philosophy.
    test
  13. Ass Napkin Ed

Ass Napkin Ed DC - 19th & Benning Rd

Its funny - geographic locations seem to reflect the philosophy/religion of the people living there.

read outliers - by malcom gladwell
    test
  14. AliceHouse

AliceHouse The House Always Wins

MEANWHILE ON REDDIT

[–]new_atheist 129 points 1 day ago
    Questions concerning the science of the origin of man are not handled by courts. They are handled within the scientific community and through peer-review.

Evidence supporting evolution has been through the rigorous process of peer-review for over a century. To date, creationists can't get any of their research through the process of peer-review and published in a professional scientific journal. That is because their "findings" do not hold water.
    If these people truly believed that the evidence supported a literal interpretation of the Genesis creation story, then they should have no problem putting it into a professional paper and submitting it for peer-review.
    But, they never do. They conduct publicity stunts, make YouTube videos, and create creationist websites that are only convincing to people who already agree with them.

And, for all the people who claim that the peer-review process is a sham controlled by biased atheist scientists who would do anything to keep the "truth of God's creation

---

[–]key_lime_pie 11 points 1 day ago (12|1)
    This is a complete waste of everyone's time. Gene Ray (the TimeCube guy) made the same challenge (prove my beliefs wrong and win $10k) and then any time someone offered a challenge he would say "You're argument is wrong, no soup for you." No matter how much evidence that you supply to suggest that the world doesn't match the Genesis account, people can always fall back on "That's not enough proof" or even "God just made it look that way" and then no soup for you either.

---

[–]brianpv 5 points 1 day ago (6|1)
    It's a publicity stunt.

---

[–]ENovi 3 points 1 day ago (3|0)
    Why don't they donate the money towards a soup kitchen or something instead of their publicity stunt?

---

[–]barrett51bmg 2 points 2 days ago (2|0)
    Then he needs to pay that money directly to the Clarrence Darrow Foundation. It's been done.

---

[–]FaustianBargainBin 1 point 1 day ago (1|0)
    "They [evolutionists] are not stupid people; they are bright, but they are bright enough to know there is no scientific evidence they can give in a minitrial," Mastropaolo said.

Is he saying that he doesn't believe there IS scientific evidence for evolution (which is one of the most insane and completely wrong statements it's possible to make) or that scientific evidence won't be ADMISSIBLE?
    test
  15. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

they will refute our dating techniques

ask payback for reason on why our current methods for dating are flawed
    test
  16. reggie jax

i thought payback was an old earth creationist.
    test
  17. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

if he is he flip flopped

hes a young earth creationist
    test
  18. TheBigPayback

Ive never been young earth. because young earthers believe this is the first earth age.
    i believe this is the 2nd earth age. as stated in gen 1:2, jeremiah, etc.
    test
  19. TheBigPayback

I do believe there has been in the past and is presently problems with dating methods
    true there is no full proof dating systems yet. but thats not to say they never get it right either
    test
  20. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

im a middle earth hobbyist
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.