Creating a mixtape website like datpiff.com/reelofficial.com (suicyde enter)

Discussion in 'Audio Emcee Hook Ups' started by mr marz, Jan 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mr marz

mr marz Member

what are the legal aspects of creating a website to download mixtapes from various artists? such as copyright etc.. is it illegal to distribute mixtapes (not to sell and not full albums) of industry artists?

also what about something like HipHopGame.com
    are you allowed to stream industry songs? im pretty sure u cant post them for download, but is streaming them legal? what about music videos?

and as far as advertising revenue is concerned, do i have to set up an LLC or an S corp?

i really appreciate any advice yall would have on this, even if you cant answer the questions.. its something ive been thinking about for a while now. thanks in advance for ur help.
    test
  2. mr marz

mr marz Member

B. U. M. P
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  3. mr marz

mr marz Member

test
  4. bonecollector

bonecollector Member

I can tell you from watching the last 3 months unfold, you are playing with fire posting illegal music. Read up on onsmash.com/newmusiccartel and what they have gone through.

In terms of a datpiff-esque site, sure. But that market is so overly saturated it wont generate very strong revenue from ads imho. Even though uploading the content will be easy via zshare etc., you will want your sites design to stand out, so you will be paying for it to be done in silverlight/flash. That costs. Just my feelings on it.
    test
  5. bonecollector

bonecollector Member

Another tip...
    If you decide to go through with it, remember to not monotize your site until 6 months to a year in. It will increase your CPM. Read up on it.
    test
  6. mr marz

mr marz Member

^yea i know that i have to generate enough traffic, if i can, before i take it to the next level. but as far as illegal music- i would be posting mixtapes like datpiff does. no retail. i have other ideas for the site to make it unique but im just concerned about the legality of that aspect.
    test
  7. MrXtrA

MrXtrA Colorado Raps League

i'm not sure about the legality of that aspect, that's why reelofficial only deals in mixtapes the indie artists themselves approve and we've been open for a year without trying to monetize

not trying to walk that thin line getting all the other sites shut down, though reelofficial will be undergoing an overhaul to include interviews, blogs, and the like along with the mixtapes we feature
    test
  8. Webz_Creationz

Webz_Creationz Shutin' Shit Down

What new aspect would you be bringing to the game? Just from your basic questions, I can tell that you have put zero effort into any kind of research, and starting on rapmusic.com is not the best place. You ain't ready kid, tbh. You don't realize the cost, effort, and time that goes into creating something like this.
    test
  9. MrXtrA

i agree with that assessment besides the fact it was directed at the threadstarter, took almost a year to get to 100 tapes i'm sure you can go faster if you like working for free and/ or if you don't care about the quality of the submissions and you just load up anything, but i review everything that comes into my site and basically no one cares that much lol.......

it's nice to see when people think grindtime mixtape sites my name or reelofficial usually pops up tho, that's reward enough sometimes......now fuck you pay me!
    test
  10. mr marz

mr marz Member

so i couldnt just take a mixtape like j coles the warm up and post it on a website for free download? like- why did it take you so long to get 100 tapes?

i mean its not like i plan on doing this overnight, this is the reason for the thread- to get feedback from dudes like you. suicyde- ur the one person on this board ive talked to that has a site somewhat like this. im certainly not under the impression where i think that i can just log onto rapmusic.com and expect that some forum posters to tell me everything i need to know about making a mixtape website in a day. and i have a partner thats a web designer so cost will be minimal in that department. and as far as traffic is concerned i have a few ideas and connections. also i have other sources of income- at most this is a hobby, but who knows where it will take me.
    test
  11. Dely

Dely In The Trap

not the type of site i would be trying to do at all. and u have no clue what u are doin son
    test
  12. OurSin

OurSin lol @ equality

unless you got deep pockets i wouldn't even go into it on the legal side, unless like you say do it for fun. All the bootlegging sites getting shut down so that won't do you any good, and it probably won't be long before they start screening the mixtapes for copyrighted instrumentals and shutting em down cause of that.

shit just don't seem like a good place to be right now IMO
    test
  13. Webz_Creationz

I owned one of the largest mixtape websites on the net, started in 99, sold it to MTK in 04. I got out right when things started getting heated, legally. Once DJ Drama got raided, a lot of people went running for the hills. To answer your question, NO, you can not LEGALLY just post someone else's music up on your site for free download.

The mixtape industry is more complex than most people realize, and it sounds like you are just trying to reinvent the wheel. I'm not one to shoot someone's hopes and dreams down, as I'm all about entrepreneuralship and people creating wealth for themselves, but this is not the avenue to doit.

Find something else.
    test
  14. bonecollector

bonecollector Member

Morning...

I agree with what other points have been said since I last posted. Its just not worth the time invested. Financially, you will be in the red for dev. costs and hosting etc. The market is so overly saturated. 3-5 years ago, many people had no clue about torrents. These days though, many people use torrenting/********* etc. to find their entertainment. So you aren't just competing with other sites but other methods of getting the content as well. SEO (Another thing to read up on) will be key, and you probably are looking at an ETA of 1-2 years before making it into the top 8 pages of Google search.

Now after saying all the negatives, if you can create a function or content that is EXTREMELY unique, you will increase your chances. I've been waiting for years for a site that has tons of music content (mixtapes) for download, but allows the user to custom build their own tape and download it. Basically taking their favorite songs and combining them. Tools like that will help keep you in the running, but the dev. costs for something like that is going to be massive. Not to mention hosting the music itself.
    test
  15. mr marz

mr marz Member

@webz - dont worry homie, youre not crushing my hopes and dreams lol. i have business ventures already established and making a mixtape website isnt my grand aspiration in life. but i do appreciate the feedback, tho you guys arent telling me isnt the best news- its stuff that i need to know. but i have financial backing from my partner that owns a record label and a studio. @bone i know a little bit about SEOs but a friend of mine knows a lot and is able to do SEO hacks. but this is the kinda criticism im looking for.

so lets say hypothetically, i have all the right connections, and a great unique idea to separate it from the rest. is there any kind of information or tips that you could put me onto to get it started like if i need to get a lawyer, or how to bring more traffic, or anything that you dont have to write a thesis to explain. you guys obviously know a lot more than me, and its obvious that i dont know much about it at all. like i said i dont plan on doing this overnight and i know i have a lot of research to be done.

and if i cant put someone elses music on it, how does datpiff.com do it?
    test
  16. Webz_Creationz

How does datpiff doit?

This is a fairly simple answer.

1) They either have individual agreements with the copyright holders of all the music they make available on their site (extremely unlikely).

2) They offer music illegally. This is what 95% of mixtape websites do. I'll give you a little insight on how things work, or at least how my site used to operate. I personally contacted every single DJ (or representative) who's work I sold on my site. Whenever a DJ was releasing a new mixtape, they would call me and ask me for my order. For example, when DJ Smallz released a new tape, his boy Pat would call me and ask how many units I wanted. I'd tell him I want 250 CD's, and I'd mail him a check, the CD's would reach me about 3-4 days later because he was right up the coast from me in central florida. I eventually had the type of relationship with many of the DJ's where I could just give them a number and they trusted me to pay them later.

Now, although it may appear that I'm doing business legitimately, looks can be deceiving. Although I'm paying the DJ for his CD's, he's basically bootlegging his material, because very few DJ's (if any) get signed releases for each track they feature on their CD. They might get a few individual features from artists that allow them to put tracks on their mixtapes, but when you have 20 tracks, all from different copyright holders, you can't honestly think they are obtaining releases for every track.

Most mixtape sites bootleg. I won't lie, I bootlegged the fuck out of a lot of CD's. It doesn't make the quality any less, but my cost went from $2.50-$4 per unit, to about $.89 cents per unit. I don't know what arrangement Datpiff has, but I can almost guarantee you that they are offering downloads illegally, technically speaking.

Now, whether the copyright holders want to go after a bootlegger, is another story.
    test
  17. Webz_Creationz

In all honesty, there was a great period of time to be in the mixtape market. When I started my site, I think there was literally 3 other mixtape sites on the net. Ebay was just starting to gain notoriety, and people didn't have access to downloadable content, like they do now.

The market became saturated and the profit margin began to shrink. I used to sell between 1500-3000 units a month, depending on what artist released a feature tape (i.e. when an Eminem or G-Unit mixtape dropped, I was literally visiting the post office every hour, lol). Now you have sites offering buy 3 get 5 free, etc, it's just not worth it. Getting into a saturated industry without a revolutionary idea is a waste of time.

There's much better markets to get into, especially now, that will offer much better returns.
    test
  18. Webz_Creationz

In all honesty, there was a great period of time to be in the mixtape market. When I started my site, I think there was literally 3 other mixtape sites on the net. Ebay was just starting to gain notoriety, and people didn't have access to downloadable content, like they do now.

The market became saturated and the profit margin began to shrink. I used to sell between 1500-3000 units a month, depending on what artist released a feature tape (i.e. when an Eminem or G-Unit mixtape dropped, I was literally visiting the post office every hour, lol). Now you have sites offering buy 3 get 5 free, etc, it's just not worth it. Getting into a saturated industry without a revolutionary idea is a waste of time.

There's much better markets to get into, especially now, that will offer much better returns.
    test
  19. MrXtrA

reelofficial.com gets a makeover.......

http://www.reelofficial.com

let me know if anyone has tapes they want featured as the featured tapes will get a lot more exposure than the regular tapes
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.