Couture vs Lesnar: Facing UFC History

Discussion in 'MMA, Boxing & Other Combat Sports' started by Knowledge, Sep 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knowledge

Knowledge Guest

There is nothing like the atmosphere at a heavyweight title fight.

When the 20s roared, Jack Dempsey and the heavyweight title were at the forefront. Few would argue that the grandest of nights on the grandest of stages – Madison Square Garden – was the first time Frazier fought Ali. And when "Iron Mike" or "The Real Deal" or "Big George" headlined in Las Vegas with the strap on the line, I hear the buzz was incomparable.

With all due respect to boxing nowadays, the likes of current heavyweight pugilists Wladimir Klitschko, Samuel Peter, Ruslan Chagaev and on and on just don't put the casual fan, much less most boxing or combat sports fans, into a frenzy.

Recently, the Ultimate Fighting Championship announced a heavyweight title battle that will do just that. UFC Hall of Famer, UFC heavyweight champion and previously the UFC's most disgruntled employee since Tito Ortiz became a free agent, "Captain America" Randy Couture, will face former NCAA wrestling champion and former World Wrestling Entertainment champion Brock Lesnar on Nov. 15 in Las Vegas.

This is big. And it will only get bigger.

Approximately 500 pounds of chiseled badass will collide inside the octagon. "It is a fascinating matchup: the crafty, multiple-time heavyweight champion versus the younger, bigger, and stronger challenger," UFC President Dana White was quoted as saying. "This one will go down in the history books."

Read more here.
    test
  2. xX_NASTY_Xx

xX_NASTY_Xx Guest

i'm picking lesnar if he can stay on his feet
    test
  3. Couture has too much experience..
    test
  4. Ben Official

Ben Official Active Member

couture via dirty boxing
    test
  5. xX_NASTY_Xx

xX_NASTY_Xx Guest

true

it's just wishful thinkin.... i think lesnar has the power to knock him out
    test
  6. Knowledge

Knowledge Guest

True, but that's a lot of weight to deal with... & he's aging well but still.. he's a old man, no matter how hard he fights time...
    test
  7. Ben Official

wait, did you say lesnar was going to knock randy out if he can keep it standing? have you seen lesnar fight before?
    test
  8. Knowledge

Knowledge Guest

I saw that punch that hit Herring... hahahahaha

[​IMG]
    test
  9. Ben Official

I was referring to Nasty, I think we posted at the same time. I'd hate to judge someone's boxing skills on one punch. Nasty said "i'm picking lesnar if he can stay on his feet". i was wondering why he might say this, or why he might think Lesnar's game plan would be to keep it standing, with anybody?
    test
  10. Ryverse SykoliG

Ryverse SykoliG Knockin' Bootz

I think experience is too overrated when it comes to this match, let alone this sport. Although Randy has experience, and much of it... Brock is an incredible specimen of athlete. He learns quicker then the rest of the percentile of fighters out, he is bigger, stronger, and has experience too in high pressure situations as well as competing in sports in general. Brock will do just fine in this fight and will win... mark this POST MARK IT.

BROCK by UD.
    test
  11. Vividescription

Vividescription New Member

My mind says Brock, my heart says Randy
    test
  12. Knowledge

Knowledge Guest

I'm in the same shoes... I just don't see how the hell he's going to overcome that mass troglodyte from hell. haha
    test
  13. Look im Gangsta

Look im Gangsta New Member

I'd say Lesnar could pound out Randy, but being realistic, Lesnar will loose against Mr Experience as he did to Mir.
    test
  14. Vividescription

Yea im watching this fight live, and all I can imagine is Lesnar just overpowering a supposed rusty Couture, and TKO in the 2nd or so..even though I am hoping for Randy to surprise us all, and just lay it on Lesnar..pushing the pace and overcoming that massive strength.
    test
  15. Vividescription

Last time Randy fought a true wrestler was Barnett, and for those who saw the fight know whats up.
    test
  16. Ben Official

are you flying out to vegas just for the fight or do you already live there?

the only fight i'm flying out to vegas for is bj vs gsp
    test
  17. Vividescription

Yea im flying out there from Jersey..its def worth it..mainly for Wanderlei vs Rampage.
    test
  18. M-theory

M-theory Saint Esprit

The Heavyweight Division Returns.

If Brock DOESN'T knock out Randy with his first hit, he's not gonna be able to finish it there, 'cause Couture is getting knocked on his ass. Then again, Couture's smaller so I don't know how good of an angle he could hit him at to begin with. I think Brock has work on submissions though big time, because once he gets Randy down, I know he's not trying to let him back up. I think if Brock were to win this fight, I'd want to see him finish. I already seen him maul Herring.
    test
  19. Ben Official

but they havent even signed for that fight yet lol
    test
  20. Vividescription

Yea its pretty much finalized. Just havent been updated on UFC.com till both of them sign. Its in the process, so once it gets to that point, its pretty much a done deal.

They are looking for a co-main event, and thats the only co-main event that can match the hype of Lesnar vs Couture.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.