Copyright/Clearing Samples

Discussion in 'Audio Producers Discussions' started by Worthiest Words, Sep 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Worthiest Words

Worthiest Words New Member

I was thinking about copyrighting my beats, but then i came aross a section where it said your copyright wouldn’t be viable if your works have used extracts from other artist/composers etc.. without there permission.

So i guess i have to get the samples cleared before i can get copyright on my beats? Or shall i just get my shit copyrighted and when it comes time to publishing my music for commercial benefit i can get the sampled cleared. Anybody come across these legal issues?

The reason i ask is, i'm currently working on a 5 track demo, which will have artists performing over my beats, to avoid gettin my shit jacked i' thought i'd get my beats copyrighted, but how does the sampling issue work? does it matter that i have sampled and what are the chances of me gettin sued on some legal shit by the original composer? I'm not signed to no major or anything nor are the artists.

I'm sure some people have dealth with similar issues here on RM

thanks before hand for any advice
    test
  2. LiQuiD6

LiQuiD6 Left hook Justice

:).....

you cant copyright a sampled beat before its cleared.......your jackin a sample....theres no protection from gettin jacked on something you jacked......lol

welcome to the world of hip hop......you arent pushing units....so you wont be clearing any samples........so you cant copy right your beats that are sampled..........

simple.....done....
    test
  3. DjayCasper

DjayCasper Eh Fuck It.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand

case closed.
    test
  4. DonnyB

DonnyB Tha BlockBurna

copyright all your shit dog, sampled or not.
    u copyright the arrangement, and make sure u put down that u used samples from other music in the paperwork. dont worry about getting them cleared until u sellin mad cds or somethin
    test
  5. DjayCasper

DjayCasper Eh Fuck It.

^^
    no. u cant get a copyright on some one elses copyright (the samples being used)

getting ur shit copywritten or what ever the term may be is cool for cats like jus blaze, dr dre, kanye west

but we are not them
    theres no point in copyrighting some shit going on a demo.

if your good enough
    no one can touch you/mimick ur chops of a sample

so jus let that be
    test
  6. Worthiest Words

ok that’s some insight, but what’s the situation on say radio playing our non copyright music or getting our shit played on tv i.e. on underground music video tv stations? What problems can arise? basically if a commercial broadcast entity were to play our music , would it need to be copyrighted first including sample clearing?
    test
  7. DjayCasper

DjayCasper Eh Fuck It.

if some one plays ur shit on tv/radio
    and it has samples in it

and u dont have those samples cleared

i hope ur on alot of birth control, cuz theyre gonna rape the shit outta you
    youd seriously not want that to happen lol.

in most cases if its a REALLLL discreet sample, an its a local emcee not making such a huge noise

you might get away with it

but if jay-z puts out a single with out clearing a sample hed get killed
    with legal documents that is.

basically
    until you have a major label backing you and you can afford to clear every sample you do

dont let anything sampled hit the air waves

only copyright your made from scratch songs, meaning they had no influence from any other copywritten material

sometimes interpolating (replaying the melodies, or doing them in ur own way)
    could slide through....if its not like replaying the melody from smooth criminal or billy jean or some shit

i really wouldnt reccomend tryna get air play on a sample with out clearin it though.
    test
  8. Worthiest Words

werd casper.. clearing might juts be the best option in that case. I want to put a joint which i feel will be a sure fire hit here in the uk, i used a small vocal sample from some 50's American joint, chopped like a bitch.., i know it will get airplay (ain't tryna front or anything lol), i just want to get all my facts before taking the next step.
    test
  9. DonnyB

DonnyB Tha BlockBurna

my boy got his beat jacked and it was sampled but he had gotten the copyrights done a year before the guy who jacked it had put his copyrights on and my boy won the case.
    but as soon as he started the case his lawyer told him to get the samples cleared asap but because he had the original copyright he won the case.
    test
  10. Vince MGM

Vince MGM New Member

i thought emcees had to clear the samples that a producer uses....????
    test
  11. dre2k203

dre2k203 New Member

same here
    test
  12. DjayCasper

DjayCasper Eh Fuck It.

the label does
    it comes out of both pockets. cuz YOU are making money off the sample by selling the beat
    so u gotta pay them for that
    an the rapper is gonna make money so they gotta pay as well

i think.
    lol
    test
  13. urban_tactics

urban_tactics aka johnny cockram

it comes out the artist's budget...yup........
    test
  14. DonnyB

DonnyB Tha BlockBurna

yup the producers aint got shit to do with the clearing, thats why alot of artist dont want sampled beats that are noticable.
    test
  15. BeatSlangaz

BeatSlangaz 08 is not your year!

At the end of the day its whatevers on the contract. I heard stories of producers having to clear samples and I heard stories of artist having to clear samples. Cause if you selling a beat for 50,000 to me that shit better be cleared...
    test
  16. BeatSlangaz

BeatSlangaz 08 is not your year!

Read this article of zachkatz a big time manager in the game...
    http://www. onestopbeats .com/zachkatz.html (Take out spaces)

That justifies what I just said even more.....
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.