Copy Right and Publishing Questions

Discussion in 'Writer's Block' started by Natty LoCs, Oct 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Natty LoCs

Natty LoCs RIP "Pud"

My lil sis wants to copy right some of her work and looking in to publishing a collection of her works...i don't know anything about copy righting or publishing...if anybody knows anything could you please share your knowledge
    test
  2. Anaphora

Anaphora was here

As for copyrighting, once you put it down on paper it's copywritten... there's really no need to worry about copyrights with poetry. If she's really paranoid, she can put all her poems in an envelop, mail it to herself, and just never open it. The postmark indicates when they were, at latest, written by. It's called a poor man's copyright... but I don't know any writers who bother doing that, except with screenplays, where there's actually some money involved.

As far as publishing a collection- that's two steps away. First off, very few presses (book publishers) will even give a serious look to a collection unless at least 1/3 of the poems were published already in relatively nice journals... so, what she should do, is go to: http:// newpages. com /npguides/litmags. htm (without the spaces) and start submitting her poems. She should also buy a copy of Poet's Market... I wouldn't go back any further than 2004 though if she wants to save money and get it used off amazon. I usually use 2005, just because there's been a lot of moving around in journals the last couple years... 3 big ones went under, a few other big journals moved (swink, rosebud, and the poetry address for the Atlantic Monthly) If she's in a hurry to publish, make sure she double checks that the journals allow simultaneous submissions... that means the poems can be submitted at the same time to other journals, the only catch is, if it's accepted somewhere, you gotta let the other journals know right away so they pull that poem. That way you get your poems out to a bunch of journals, and strengthen your odds... for instance, one of my poems is at:Boston Review Prize Prize
    Kenyon Review
    Southeast Review
    Karamu
    Ploughshares
    Folio
    Iowa Review
    Hawai’i Pacific Review
    Baltimore Review
    Atlanta Review
    Black Warrior Prize
    Tin House
    New England Review
    Green Mountain Review
    New Criterion
    Swink
    MidAmerican Review Prize

and there's a bunch of others are out at just as many if not more places... she also really needs to keep a record of where she's submitting everything... Poet's Market tells ya all this, it's a really really great resource for poets, even established ones. Another thing is she should very, very, very definitely take a writing class if she hasn't already. Everyone who wants to someday publish their work should take one... if possible, a class specifically for poetry writing. So many people just really don't know what contemporary poetry is like because they haven't really read much of it, and would benefit from the group perspective and criticism... hope that helps. I have to get ready for a halloween party now. I may add more in a couple days. Good luck.
    test
  3. dlbiininja

dlbiininja The Hip Hop Poet.

hmm good list.
    something else she can do. is get a collection of her poetry.
    make two books of that collection with like 3 or four smaller books in it and send it to the international library of congress and get i copywritten.
    she could then break down the book and sell the each poetry book seperately.
    i just finished setting up the format for my first book this week. just working on the cover now.
    test
  4. Natty LoCs

Natty LoCs RIP "Pud"

thank everybody for your input...it was much needed i appreciate it
    test
  5. Anaphora

Anaphora was here

dlbiininja: Are you gonna get it POD, or self publishing?
    test
  6. dlbiininja

dlbiininja The Hip Hop Poet.

LOL, FUNNY YOU ASK THAT ana. i have been thinking of doing pod's as well. And i'm considering self pub as well. i mean i might shop it around as well but at the same time i'm gonna work on getting my stuff out.
    test
  7. Anaphora

Anaphora was here

Buy a 100 pack of 9x12 manilla envelopes, and business class envelopes, 2 rolls of 39cent stamps, and at least ten books of 24 cent stamps (saves a lot of money as compared to sending 2 39cents on each envelop, and up to 7 sheets of paper and an sase is just under that extra ounce to push it to 87 cents) and get a copy of poets market and start sending your shit out... there's literally, over a hundred decent journals that are accepting submissions right now, though quite a few stop in december until next september. also check out http:// newpages. com/literary/contests.htm#September for their writing contests, there's a link at the top for book contests... those cost money though... in poet's market there's a grip of presses who may be interested, query some of them too... very few people will buy a book of poetry from someone they've never heard of unless they've been published in a lot of good journals... once in awhile someone will pick it up and read a couple poems and decide to buy it, but for the most part, people look at the acknowledgements page to see where they've been published. Sad fact, because most of the really good ones (new yorker, atlantic, nation, sun, paris review, massachusetts review etc) are really hard to get into if you don't have credentials already... the work has to be truly stellar... but yeah, send out to journals, best way to start getting published. Research the journals a little online too... some print only like, really avant garde shit, or only haiku, or theme issues... those things are good to know.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.