Cool ass space photos.

Discussion in 'The Sanctuary' started by Sir Bustalot, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

feel free to add on with any pictures from space.

heres some music to listen too while you view it

Interesting Factoid. Space images like these taken by the hubble are colorized after theyre taken. Its to bring out the features and contrast elements so you can see them better. They come in as Black and white images and they assign colors in an image editing application

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Hot Thread Hot Thread x 4
    • +Rep +Rep x 3
    test
  2. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

• +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  3. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    pluto^^
    [​IMG]
    neptune^^
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    uranus

[​IMG]
    mercury
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  4. MissBreezy

MissBreezy The God Pestilence

My favorite subject to date (in school) has been Earth and Space Science. Fascinating stuff.

These pics are cool!

Speaking of said topic, have you been watching for the meteors from the Perseid Meteor Shower?? It apparently peaks tonight and tomorrow night between midnight and 4am or something. I've been going out nightly and have seen them each time. The peak is supposed to reveal 60 to 100 an hour...let's hope!

http://www.space.com/22332-perseid-meteor-shower-peaking-now.html
    test
  5. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

ive watched them before, and its not that impressive. The coolest thing about the last time i saw them(which was last year) the space station went zooming overhead a couple times... It was way more awesome than the apartheid meteor shower...
    test
  6. MissBreezy

MissBreezy The God Pestilence

to each their own, I guess, lol

Yeah, I saw the satellites and space station too. I just enjoy the solitude while looking up at the stars.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  7. Geedorah

Geedorah King

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

How Sun looks like.
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
    • +Rep +Rep x 2
    test
  8. x calibur

x calibur

space is the place.

but that one pic you posted can't possibly be Pluto. we don't have high-res photos of that dwarf planet yet. at least not until new horizons makes its pass in 2015.
    test
  9. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

test
  10. Nu'maaN

Nu'maaN Anu'naki, Nuqqa.

nice photos.

but what i never fathomed was how they got these pictures?

did they send a nigga outer space all the way out there and take one with his latest conon or nikon?

this might be the stupidest question anyone has ever asked but fuck you in the face, i just asked it.

:numaan:
    • -Rep -Rep x 1
    test
  11. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

Nu' the recent ones are hubble telescope as well as some other telescopic satellites. They are taken with the hubbles special camera that creates image files using different lightwaves, they then layer these images in Photoshop and assign the layers colors so people like us can see the images... without the color assignment wed miss most of what the camera picks up. The colors enhance the different elements for our viewing pleasure.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Mimas^^ moon of saturn
    [​IMG]
    Large Magellanic Cloud — one of the Milky Way's satellite galaxies^^

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Enceladus^^

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The cloud thats highlighted is called the "finger of god"---> apparently this cloud is 2 lightyears tall.
    [​IMG]
    this is a pic of the horsehead nebula, the source of many of those cloudlike space pics... The diameter of this nubula is 13 lightyears. Thats fuckin insane...

[​IMG]
    test
  12. Nu'maaN

Nu'maaN Anu'naki, Nuqqa.

thank you, finally i got a reasonable simple to understand explanation of the thing.

i knew about the hubble telescope, my qualm was always with the colours that came out, how do they know that?

but thank you for answering this, having said that - all these images are based on some sort of forumula right?

as you can tell i am very shit with knowledge of the outer space realm, i'd fucking love to learn though.

:numaan:
    test
  13. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

yeah kind of. The images to us come in as black and white, but they contain layers basically of different lightwaves and shit. The colors are then derived from the wavelength data, so theyve gone ahead and picked certain colors for certain gasses. Thats all those clouds are, massive gass clouds the size of galaxies and more....anyways some colors they made up, and some are the actual colors, some you can see. Basically if they didnt have the gasses and different picture info on different layers, our eyes couldnt see the details in the pics. It would just look like space basically(black with white dots for stars). So we can see what the scientist see, they colorize it.

the voyager 1 is the furthest satellite from earth, it was launched in the late 70's and reached saturn in the 80's or someshit. Its still going and sending signals back. Pretty sure its way past pluto by now.

*Someone can jump in if they know the facts, i just know the basic jist of how its done

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the shits pretty amazing
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  14. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

[​IMG]

New pic from large telescope in chile, its an image of a star in the process of being formed

[​IMG]
    This image from ESO’s New Technology Telescope at the La Silla Observatory in Chile shows the Herbig-Haro object HH 46/47 as jets emerging from a star-forming dark cloud.

[​IMG]
    This wide-field view shows a rich region filled with sdust clouds and tar factories in the southern constellation of Vela. Close to the center of the image are the jets of the Herbig-Haro object HH 46/47 emerging from a dark cloud filled with newborn stars. Credit:
    ESO/Digitized Sky Survey 2. Acknowledgement: Davide De Martin
    test
  15. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

[​IMG]
    30 Doradus, measuring 200 light-years wide by 150 light-years high. The nebula resides in the Large Magellanic Cloud (a satellite galaxy of the Milky Way), 170,000 light-years from Earth.

[​IMG]
    Cat's Eye Nebula

[​IMG]
    Saturn's auroras

[​IMG]
    sun

[​IMG]
    earth from saturn

[​IMG]
    NASA's Stardust-NExT mission took this image of comet Tempel 1 at 8:39 p.m. PST (11:39 p.m. EST) on Feb 14, 2011.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  16. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

[​IMG]
    Lying over 110 million light-years away from Earth in the constellation of Antlia (The Air Pump) is the spiral galaxy IC 2560,

Image: ESA/Hubble & NASA Acknowledgement: Nick Rose

[​IMG]
    The stunning ring galaxy NGC 660 is the shimmering aftermath of a galactic collision, located 44 million light-years away in the constellation Pisces
    Color composite produced by Travis Rector, University of Alaska Anchorage.

[​IMG]
    great northern storm on Saturn raging in full force. image: NASA/JPL-Caltech/SSI/Hampton University

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    test
  17. Superman70

Superman70 edited

rocket launches soon.
    test
  18. Twamp

Twamp proper weaponry

superb thread.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  19. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

thanks, but big shouts to Scary Willie at wired magazine for most of these. And NASA lol

[​IMG]
    This colorful scene is situated in the Noctis Labyrinthus region of Mars, perched high on the Tharsis rise in the upper reaches of the Valles Marineris canyon system. Targeting the bright rimmed bedrock knobs, the image also captures the interaction of two distinct types of windblown sediments. Surrounding the bedrock knobs is a network of pale reddish ridges with a complex interlinked morphology. These pale ridges resemble the simpler “transverse aeolian ridges” (called TARs) that are common in the equatorial regions of Mars.

The TARs are still poorly understood, and are variously ascribed to dunes produced by reversing winds, coarse grained ripples, or indurated dust deposits. HiRISE observations of TARs have so far shown that these bedforms are stable over time, suggesting either that they form slowly over much longer time scales than the duration of MRO's mission, or that they formed in the past during periods of very different atmospheric conditions than the present.

Dark sand dunes comprise the second type of windblown sediment visible in this image. The dark sand dune seen just below the center of the cutout displays features that are common to active sand dunes observed by HiRISE elsewhere on Mars, including sets of small ripples crisscrossing the top of the dune. In many cases, it is the motion of these smaller ripples that drives the advance of Martian sand dunes. The dark dunes are made up of grains composed of iron-rich minerals derived from volcanic rocks on Mars, unlike the pale quartz-rich dunes typical of Earth.

This image clearly shows the dark sand situated on top of the pale TAR network, indicating that the sand dunes are younger than the TARs. Moreover, the fresh appearance of the sand dunes suggest that they are currently active, and may help shape the unusual TAR morphology by sandblasting the TARs in the present day environment. The original image was acquired on Aug. 31, 2013, by the HiRISE (High Resolution Imaging Science Experiment) instrument aboard NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (MRO). HiRISE is operated by the University of Arizona, Tucson.

Image: NASA/JPL/University of Arizona [high-resolution]
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  20. Twamp

Twamp proper weaponry

was also expecting some big booty dark matter bitches too though.
    test