Constructive Criticism

Discussion in 'Writer's Block' started by Surreal The A.D. Prophet, Feb 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Surreal The A.D. Prophet

Surreal The A.D. Prophet Wondrous Poetic

Everyone who WANTS and USES constructive criticism, reply to this thread stating as much. from now on i am going to only respond when i think my statement will be considered properly and i wont be rewarded with an annurism.

these are thoughts which would indicate that i dont like you as a writer, and you dont likemy perspective, and ( most of all) you shouldnt reply to this thread asking for constructive criticism ;

"it is just feelings", "a poem is a poem", or my favorite "THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS GOOD POETRY"

i have decided that i WILL be elitist. fuck it
    test
  2. lpoet

lpoet POET

what are u talking about?

somebody make u mad or something

...[dunno]
    test
  3. h.wood

h.wood IMAGINATION SUPER STAR

test
  4. lpoet

lpoet POET

lol@simon of the realm...i dont mind constructive criticism at all...

i welcome your harsh words..lol
    test
  5. Surreal The A.D. Prophet

In response to lpoet- yes but a FEW people pissed me off, i reply with my normal routine -specific as possible, picky as possible, critique- and one person tries to tell me poetry is supposed to be cliche, and another person -not even the writer of the piece mind you- tells me that a poem simply exists and that if i think one part of a piece is better then i am an elitist snob.

so for lack of a desire to define myself again to others; i am an elitist snob, but i will be one who replied to people who want my snobbery and will use it to snobbish ends.

and as for phrasing...i finicsed off the post with fuck it....i no longer (nor did i ever actually) care for "sugar coating" i am too serious about writing with more precision to worry about how someone will take my criticism. while writing a piece...maybe...not criticism.

one of my favorite people stopped me in mid poem and said "this sounds real nice, but ..what are you saying? nothin."

effective. i NEVER want that to happen again LMAO
    test
  6. Mind~$oul

Mind~$oul I'm Pretty

i try not to do that shit often unless it's just terrible, because some cats really get angry over that.
    test
  7. Iceodu921

Iceodu921 Resident Sports Genius

thats why i dont post poetry. when i get more comfortable with my work i will post but i know as of right now id get a barrage of critcism.
    test
  8. Surreal The A.D. Prophet

"barrage of criticism?" well...i dont see that happenning really, but what precisely would be wrong with useful criticism?

i have already addressed the split directions of netpoet and lifepoet so, i will only say that it is an interesting dynamic to experience both. a writer in real life wouldnt shy from criticism -amateurs at open miocs dont count- but here it happens amongst the "best."
    test
  9. Xero Satsujin

Xero Satsujin OnLy gOd kNoWs oR Goes

Yo, I'm only gonna say this once, cause umm...the shit is true...Yall better listen to that man, cause he's got a lot to say and knows how to get it out there...Because what he said about the lifepoet and netpoet had me like, wow, he's got a really serious point. I remember reading it and had to stop and read it to my class...Anyhow, I can answer that question.

What could be precisely wrong with useful criticism? Some people don't know how to say it for one. Other's don't always respond well when their work that they've spent all that time on is critiqued and put on display. Personally, I don't care what people say about my work. If you like it, you like it. If you don't that's better because I dont have to worry about them bothering me over it.
    ^^EXAMPLE^^

If someone wants to critique my work, then so be it. If it helps some, then maybe I'll take into consideration what the person has to say and change it. Or even if it makes more sense than what I've already thought of it I'll change it, but to bring criticism about, then it should have a valid point other than just saying something to piss the person off.

This is a good thread, cause it's gonna bring a lot of contraversy around...good idea...
    test

10. I would hardly call comparing two pieces of imagery and saying one is Garbage constructive criticism. And also when someone made a comment about your work, you reacted in a similar defensive fashion, by saying it was precise. So you either don't need help, or you are being hypocritical in this thread right here. If you wrote a poem and somene said ' yea but what are you saying, nothing' and you couldn't respond in anyway, you must not have written the poem. Every poem is from the deepest experience, and relatable to all in different realms of imagination. If you want to offer your perspective fine, but why not just call it that then?? Oh and by the way, not all the best writers/poets criticise..

"With nothing can one approach a work of art so little as with critical words"
    --Rainer Maria Rilke
    test
  11. Surreal The A.D. Prophet

This is, in its entirety, the "criticism" he is refering to
    my reply was "simple or precise, you be the judge" hmmmmm...

i believe you are the one i told NOT to talk to me about poetry, BECAUSE you are a netcee...

and i had no response because hte poem was me admiring my voice. me simply likeing saying ...not necesarily saying SOMETHING but saying. this occurred at a poetry workshop something lifepoets go to to hone craft...please...shut up

ONCE AGAIN YOU are a netcee i post on the net
    test
  12. Actually that is NOT the criticism I am refering to, read my post again.
    Where did you get this net cee label from? I am a published poet, and at college studying literature. I am by your very own defintions, what you claim to be, ' I post on the net'. I post poetry on here to share, while readings the works of others for enjoyment and inspiration. So you have attended a few workshops, who hasn't? I don't think you understand what a lifepoet is, or means. You are still far too concerned with the title and recognition you imagine it brings. I would welcome Your definition though. But anyway, I just wanted to point out what I had seen and how you had contradicted yourself, and subtly tell you how your attitude stinks.
    test
  13. Surreal The A.D. Prophet

in other words "all poetry is good poetry"

refer back to previous statement

andif you look back at YOUR previous statement, you make reference to 2 different situations and i address one of those situation...the simple or precise statement.

*sigh*

now, really, this has gotten us nowhere, and it is detracting from the original purpose of this post.

lpoet got it now, simply state whtehr or not you WANT criticism/perspective/anotherpoets critique

now you are fundamentally different from me and regard feelings as some special factor. if you've ever read ayn rand, i agree with objectivism. and that should tell you how i regard feelings

and you are NOT by definition what i define as a life poet. but as i said. it will not be conveyed.
    test
  14. You quoted misskey, and I never even read that piece. Im talking about your response to your own sphinx poem, and the 'garbage' comment to cazz81

your purpose didn't make sense, as you contradicted yourself in manner and approach. How many more times!

Im not 'as you say' a netcee either, but that didn't stop you from directing your way out of what you said by labeling me as one. If you are sure I am not a life poet, and you do not know me, what does that say about you?
    test
  15. Surreal The A.D. Prophet

so. misskey didnt say that in response to the sphinx poem then?

*sigh*

you are whatever you are. but you firmly believe "everything is good. fine. fuck off, if i didnt make it clear that i am choosing to steer clear of that, i am doing so now. fuck off.

cotradict myself? fuckers love sayin that shit when they disagree. but maybe..now this is conjecture, but maybe, you dont get it, BECAUSE you are the people i dont like. maybe....once again, out on a limb, you should fuck off. really though, we've managed to PERFECTLY get nowhere, nowhere at all. my point is reather straight forward, so when looked at obliquely, i seem to contradict myself. but examine this, YOU didnt write the piece that i criticized so "badly", so wether or not my critique was so off based with the wirters intent was never explored. CAZZ could possibly tell me my statement was off base, but you have no such grounds.

so, to recap; fuck off
    test
  16. test
  17. glasspen

glasspen Brooklyn Bitch

Ya'll have alot of built up anger on here. damn, reading ya'll argument made me forget what the topic was......i stopped smoking for a reason, and i still cant remember shit.
    test
  18. The_MRB

The_MRB infiltrate your border

id like constructive criticism anything that helps me improve
    test
  19. allnakey

allnakey Sex is no fun by yourself

Yea I'm with him, Criticism is all in how you take it. I think almost all critiscism can be made into a positive in some reguards.
    test
  20. Nebulaz

Nebulaz fear God, not man

i would like your criticism
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.