compression

Discussion in 'Audio Producers Discussions' started by eveready920, Mar 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CompassSaviour

CompassSaviour Got no brain, goin insane

Anything commercial is squashed to shit. That's not a good thing tho. but you have to do it to remain competitive.
    test
  2. urban_tactics

urban_tactics aka johnny cockram

you got car audio overdrive mixed up with audio production overdrive which are 2 completely different things

overdrive is basically a distortion effect......
    test
  3. JimMY2NutZ

JimMY2NutZ k.matthews

that is an insightful thread, however the term sidechain is misused. the side chain feature on the waves C1 is different that what traditional sidechain compression does. despite the minor oversight, who ever took the time out to type all the should be applauded.

i know what a compressor does, and you are right, there is a science that should be applied to it, but that is only half of it. its usefulness really comes from keeping the art in mind. there are many different creative ways to use compression on drums for purposes other then making "the signal as constant as possible." for example parallel compression, hard compression, and sidechaining have nothing to do with making "the signal as constant as possible."
    test
  4. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

you're correct

the sidechain on the C1 incorperates an equalizer which allows you to target only a specific frequency range

the C1 is more like a desser when in sidechain mode than anything

needless to say, it's still a useful tool
    test
  5. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

and do you know what distortion basically is?

it's when you overload the circuit, causing it to compress the audio signal

in the case of digitial distortion, it just cuts it off instead, leading to a term we refer to as "square waving"

this can be viewed by looking at a waveform that's mixed too loudly....ie. 99% of this forums beats :):
    test
  6. LiQuiD6

LiQuiD6 Left hook Justice

ok first off.....dont take shit outta context....NO ONE...said vocals are thrown on at the mastering stage......dont reach mufucka.........

AFTER the vocals...are thrown on.....yes.....you dont go compressing or fucking with ANY dynamics on your instruments till after vocals are being mixed in...who the FUCK compresses and fucks with dynamics when dealing with hip hop before there are vocals on the track......if you do...you are a FUCKING IDIOT.......that was the point of my comment...unless your using live instruments...there are different things you do that dont follow the norm of most recording cycles...i didnt mention ANYTHING about vocals being added during the mastering phase.......it implied...AFTER vocals are already on the track....and during the mastering phase......thats when dynamics are adjusted and most compression is done........you MIX.......THEN it goes to the mastering house where compression and overall dynamic "enhancement" is done.....you dont fucking compress your drums.....(which are already compressed unless your the roots...or your specifically doing some DEF JUX...space hip hop shit to make your drums sound weird).....then COmpress on the mix...and then have the mastering engineer recompress during the mastering phase......THATS OVERCOMPRESSION.........you LEAVE ALL OF THAT SHIT...for the final step.....the only shit you should be compressing lightly...is what needs it......vocals......live instrumentation.......analogous to digital sources....sources with wide dynamic ,analogous sources......

you fucking morons...read a text book on mixing and forget that MANY of these "guides" are referring to ANALOG sources.....OR....REAL INSTRUMENTS.....not sampled already preprocessed sounds......not with sampled hip hop in mind......just because rock engineer Joe Harvard says compress your drums...doesnt mean you should too...or you shouldnt be using the same techniques he does...Joe is recording live drums and micing them seperately.....your fucking using a drum sample that was already preprocessed in a fucking breakbeat...and most likely jacked and thrown into a sound bank......

how many times you see someone on here give a kid a "guide" to compression...and the ratios are fucking off the wall....thats why these kids overcompress...cause they are looking at shit thats specifically talking about LIVE instrumentation......your telling these kids to put a 4:1 ratio on a kick drum that was probably already processed at 6:1 - 9:1 when it was recorded and RE-sampled as a sound patch......maybe even higher....since compression ratio..is EXPONENTIAL.....NOT ADDITIVE....so you end up with something like 18:1 or some shit

also....in compressing drums......they are mainly keeping the attack part of the drum alive...when recompressing a processed drum...your killing part of the attack thats already processed......the point is to kill some of the tail end..and create headroom...there isnt much tail end on a processed modern hip hop kit......unless your using........."LIVE" drum kits :)

you mufuckas dont know wtf your talking about.....your comparing ap ples to oranges
    test
  7. urban_tactics

^I been tellin mafuckaz that shit forever....these niggaz is re-bakin cakes and wonderin why their shit sounds like ass.....stop addin gay effects to erry damn thang....

Yall doin too damn much to ya beats....I don't do no missin until its trackin time.....the most I do is add reverb and then hit the master out with a multiband for easy reference....
    test
  8. CompassSaviour

I don't use "hip hop kits" for my drums. And even if I was, maybe I'm using a compressor to get more dynamic range (which you can do), and not less.
    test
  9. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

in that case it'd be an expander, not a compressor....

basically you have a negative ratio, like 1:2 as opposed to 2:1
    test
  10. CompassSaviour

well, not really.... using a kick for example, I just give myself more attack time on the compressor, maybe a 3:1 ratio so I still have a loud attack and then the compressor starts to kick in, squashing 3:1 over my lowish threshold. In essence, you are expanding the dynamic range on the kick, from the attack to the 'meat' of the kick. Looking at it from a bigger point of view, I'd be comping one section, without raising it's output gain, so it's actually got more range than it had before.
    test
  11. F Major

F Major Anti Gear Lust

test
  12. F Major

F Major Anti Gear Lust

keep in mind what the word range means, and that compression can never expand a range
    test
  13. CompassSaviour

obviously.

give me a square wave with no attack, no decay, no sustain, no release at - 30db.

set my compressor to have 2 seconds of attack before kicking in, and 100:1 ratio of squash at -60db. I've just given the square wave an attack and decay, and expanded the range from the top of the attack to the sustain by 30 db. NO, I'm not actually increasing the range from the top of the waveform to -inf db. I'm expanding it's percieved amplitude. Before, it was all either very loud of very quiet, depending on how loud you played it. Now it has a loud part and a quiet part, so it has been given more range.

Sounds like expansion to me.
    test
  14. Premize Prod

Premize Prod aka reggie kush

this thread is just a bunch of mufuckas that dont know wat the hell they are talking about.
    test
  15. urban_tactics

test
  16. CompassSaviour

if either of you are commenting on post 53, tell me what's wrong with it. if you're not commenting on my post, my bad.
    test
  17. urban_tactics

My comment is towards anybody sayin that compressing a kick b4 vocals are laid is common practice

That's some straight up net shit

And arcane, homey ya beats need some serious work mix wise and overall....I could take ppls post more seriously if that somewhat of an above average ability in their choice of 'expertise'....but dawg...u sound like a straight up rookie....
    test
  18. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

someones unsure of themselves lol
    test
  19. Mighty GK

Mighty GK omg 2012

man...what is the point of mixing beats before vocals??...it should be a ROUGH mix...cuz when the vocals are added u never know what frequencies are going to clash...lol...yall are bakin cake but only care about making the dough..all nice and fluffy..but then your whole pan is already filled up...u gotta leave room for the fudge and other sweets.

seriously..unless ur on info's level with the mixing..leave it alone please.
    test
  20. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

right

i definitly don't know shit about compression, considering i work in studios for a living, making records for radio play/commercial release...

anyways....
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.