compression

Discussion in 'Audio Producers Discussions' started by eveready920, Mar 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LiQuiD6

LiQuiD6 Left hook Justice

: )

dog you know how tired i am of saying this shit...over and over again.....

i compress mainly if layering.....and its VERY VERY VERY LIGHT.......
    and basslines.....you gotta compress basslines.......thats what allows basslines to come up on systems without adequate woofers.....

compress samples.....thats what you should be compressing....leave the drums alone if you aint changing velocity or using multiple drum samples from a large soundbank to recreate a "live" feel
    test
  2. Mellow Madness

Mellow Madness aKa sTaTiK

haha i agree with that.... he and others call it.. DIRTY.. lmao plz.
    test
  3. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

ok, then change kanye for any of the following:

dre
    neptunes
    just blaze
    shady
    timbaland

or pretty much any other industry producer....compression is the most used thing out of every single tool
    test
  4. Nasty Chopz

Nasty Chopz ••••••

true... compression and eq... with those 2 you can always knock out a somewhat decent mix
    test
  5. urban_tactics

urban_tactics aka johnny cockram

If u need to do all that to ur drums then maybe u should find another sample....

And I aint tryin to be funny...but the most I might do to the drums is shave em a lil bit with eq...but compressing them is not what I do...I hit em with some overdrive to give em some texture and crispness and then I maximize em to bring em forward in the mix and make them sound 'bigger'....maximizing is the closest to any form of compressing I will use on drums
    test
  6. LiQuiD6

no its not...the EQ is......
    compression should be left to the engineer.....not the "producer"

you shouldnt be using compression on drums unless something NEEDS it......or your specifically trying to create some strange effect...other then that...straight forward....banging drums.....cats dont really compress much.......if they do...its VERY VERY VERY light.......

compression is exponential......if your compressing something that was already compressed.....your killing your dynamics
    test
  7. MAD SKREWS

MAD SKREWS Dear Mr.Toilet, Im Da Shi

Hope you aint talking about me cause I know exactly wtf i'm doing...
    test
  8. MAD SKREWS

overdrive?.. with good compression... depending on your threshold you can manipulate diffeerent frequencies to make your shit sound fuller and cleaner vice using overdrive.. overdrive is just a bunca gain.... the maximizer is good but the overdrive is questionable.. I don't ever recall using overdrive on any beat/sound..

Compression and EQ = Best basic tools for a quality mix
    test
  9. Premize Prod

Premize Prod aka reggie kush

^and eqing your drums has got you how many placements. im guessing close to none... the same beats you sold you would have without all that bullshit wannabe mixing.
    test
  10. F Major

F Major Anti Gear Lust

What would be even better to do is compare beats and quality between the folks that claim to know what they are talking about in terms of compression in this thread, and then decide who really knows what they are talkin about.
    test
  11. MAD SKREWS

i'm not about releasing shitty quality material.. since most people that purchase beats don't have the luxury to have an engineer, the beats have to sound good for them to just record on.. and for the record, i'm in the military and still managed to get some work done with pastor troy and AG from DITC.. which is more than most can say under my circumstances..
    test
  12. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

trust me, everything commercial has all the dynamic range squished out of it and is compressed to shit

load up tracks and LOOK at them...they're fucking square

compression helps things to fit into mixes better, and when 99% of the cats here are selling beats pre-mixed, they need to learn how the fuck to use it right

when i make a beat (which is rare), there's a compressor + eq minimum on every channel

the only thing that will drop the "bang" out of your drums would be a quick attack time that destroys the transient (ie. the hit), so if you want a pop out of your snare, bring the attack on your compressor back to like 10-15 ms instead of having it at like 3
    test
  13. F Major

F Major Anti Gear Lust

^ thats done at the mastering stage sir
    test
  14. LiQuiD6

yea...after the vocals are thrown on it.....as fm said...at the mastering stage
    test
  15. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

uh, you mean mixing....right?

because mastering is a whole nother level of compression/dynamics killing

trust me, radio tracks have 0 dynamic range, they have to or they aren't loud enough
    test
  16. RePerCuZionZ

RePerCuZionZ Square-Wave Creator

LMAO @ vocals being thrown on at the mastering stage, what kind of idiots are in this thread

In mastering, you do NOT add anymore instruments/sounds to the FINAL MIX

the FINAL MIX is then shipped off to the mastering house, and they MASTER the song, not add vocals on it

Get educated before u talk like u even know what goes on in a studio environment
    test
  17. RePerCuZionZ

If i said the name Bob Ludwig, you guys probably wouldn't have a clue who i was talking about
    test
  18. BeatSlangaz

BeatSlangaz 08 is not your year!

uhhh I didnt see any one say vocals get thrown on at the mastering stage.. So step off your high pedestal Mr. Obvious......
    test
  19. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

refering to me talking about mixing
    and there you go...
    test
  20. RePerCuZionZ

ahahaha ^^^^ What he said
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.