compression

Discussion in 'Audio Producers Discussions' started by eveready920, Mar 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eveready920

eveready920 Keep droppin it Dade

can somone give me like a little guideline to compressing beats like the drums samples bass.. etc master mix.. i had 1 but i lost when i had to reformat
    test
  2. qp -q to the p-

qp -q to the p- Active Member

It's not as easy as you think... many professionals in the industry don't know the right way to compress the right way. Read up on Sound Dynamics to learn the basics. Do a Google search one "Sound Dynamics" and compression and you will get an idea. It's not something you will just know after reading. It takes a lot of time and trial & error to understand.
    test
  3. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

everyone has their own techniques too there is no right or wrong way to compress. i personally use it to control dynamics more than to boost anything but thats just me everyone is different
    test
  4. Mellow Madness

Mellow Madness aKa sTaTiK

u dont need to compress the drums if ur sampling from something already mastered..

they are already compressed.. now if they are dirty and shity.. u should work on eqing.. but i rarely compress my drums
    test
  5. kid848

kid848 Ya Boi Honesty

... I rarely compress anything except vocals... and sometimes my bass
    test
  6. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

why not use compression to control the dynamics of what u play with the drums? id agree with you if they were just drum loops but to not use compression to atleast control dynamics is a bit odd to me
    test
  7. Mellow Madness

Mellow Madness aKa sTaTiK

b.c most of my drums are clean.. and i dont want to loose the full bang out of them.. by over compressing.. BUT.. i do compress the beat during the mixdown.. so i guess u can say they are being compressed.. i just dont compress them on it own ratio.. if that makes any sense lol
    test
  8. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

so ur compressing the master out then? makes sense. kuz i was about to say in hip hop in order to get ur drums to knock it seems almost impossible not to use compression unless u want them clip out
    test
  9. eveready920

eveready920 Keep droppin it Dade

lol not compressing your drums u sound stupidd
    test
  10. MAD SKREWS

MAD SKREWS Dear Mr.Toilet, Im Da Shi

compression makes the world go round... I love IT!!
    test
  11. urban_tactics

urban_tactics aka johnny cockram

ya'll dont even kno wtf compression does..........u dont compress a fuckin drum sample man..........theres no fuckin variance....unless ur playin your drums with mpc pads with the sensitivity set on 16 levels....which i fuckin doubt...i'm willin to bet ur clickin beats with a mouse

the point of compression is to make the signal as constant as possible.........

if u usin the same weak ass sample hits over and over at the same exact velocity and the same pitch OVER and OVER again....compression isnt doin a damn thing but addin "pump" to ya drums and that shit sounds like straight up ASS

leave the fuckin compression alone if you dont know what the fuck it is you doin........its not somethin that u sit a twidle knobs to your liking....theres a science that should be applied to it
    test
  12. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

test
  13. Realtime Ent

Realtime Ent T.A.P.

lots of people dont realize this.. good shit..
    test
  14. BeatSlangaz

BeatSlangaz 08 is not your year!

yep I use to compress every damn thing till I realized I was suckin the fuckin life right outta my beats....lol
    test
  15. Mighty GK

Mighty GK omg 2012

in order to get maximum bang from drums u need to know a few things

1st off need good bangin drums (obvious I know, but some don't lol)

2nd. u gotta find where ur drums HIT and cut out small chunks from your instruments at those frequencies (this is what people say when they tell u to let the drums breathe)

3rd. use compression lightly. if u use too much its gonna squash the beat and it will sound wack as fuck...a loud kick here..a tip tap snare there..and the volume will sound weird lol

4th...let the drums rock solo at times. not for like a whole bar or whatever (even tho u can do that also) but like the 2nd snare of the 2nd bar. I notice a lot of the time when Dre and Premo's drums hti hard as hell (since I examined their instrumentals a lot lol) that there's nothin else hitting sometimes....

5. move shit out of the way. if u want them to be heard utilize panning.

blah..there is so much shit that can be done and people are way too lazy to learn and experiment.

bottom line with compression....less is more....if u feel u always need to overcompress to get the beat sounding good ur probably mixing ur drums too loud..cuz u didn't give them enough room to breeeeeeeathe.

thats all I got to say..pz
    test
  16. CompassSaviour

CompassSaviour Got no brain, goin insane

Compressing a drum sample is a completely valid technique, you can use the compressor to shape the adsr to your liking. Want to get rid of that hard attack? Compress it. Want to give your drum a hard attack? Raise the attack level and compress the rest of it.

Air pump in drums can sound good, if that's the sound you're looking for.

And if someone can find a sound they like by "twiddling knobs", then they did something right. They should learn the basics of compressing functions, yes, but more power to them for getting the sound they needed.
    test
  17. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

everything gets compressed

listen to a kanye west track...i gaurentee every single instrument in those beats is compressed at least twice

SSL's have a built in compressor on every single channel, and they all get used all the time
    test
  18. urban_tactics

urban_tactics aka johnny cockram

kanye is about the worst example u can give....given the fact the quality of his beats is ASS and only HE can get away with that.......
    test
  19. Nasty Chopz

Nasty Chopz ••••••

i think all the dude wants to know is how a compressor works so he can use it ....

anyways, set a threshold at a certain db from where you wanna compress the sound. the part of the signal thats above the chosen threshold can then be compressed in a relationship to 1 (which is the original signal), with the ratio... attack and release times need to be set right for the instruments that you are compressing if not they'll sound like shit.. every instrument has a different attack and release.. of course after you compress a signal its gonna loose velocity so you use the gain fader to get the signal back to the desired level...
    test
  20. Premize Prod

Premize Prod aka reggie kush

i think compressing drums, eqing drums, all that bullshit is awaste of time personally. i get my level right, reverb crackin, then keep it movin. ive found that bullshit dont matter. if someone is gonna buy the beat thye gonna buy it whether you compress a fucking kick drum or not honestly. and the beat is gonna have to get tracked out most likely anyway so they can do they own mixing...
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.