compound exercises versus isolated exercises ...

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Nu'maaN, Dec 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nu'maaN

Nu'maaN Anu'naki, Nuqqa.

... what does it for the win, more so than the other?

i've heard to bulk up, you should just do compound exercises for atleast three months, and then move onto isolated exercises concentrating on each muscle part.

i need to gain atleast five kilos before my wedding.

i for one, don't really care. but i've paid three thousand dollars for the photos, so i might aswell look better than i already look. nah mean.

right now i've started going only three times a week, i don't want to over do it.

i'm taking this weight gainer extreme shit, but it doesn't do much. i'm eating atleast four meals a day.

i'm 65kg, standing at 6ft, so i gotta get up to 70 to 75. and even then i'm underweight like a motherfucker.

because a motherfucker is underweight ...

[turn] ...
    test
  2. zyclon B gas

zyclon B gas sososerious

try to eat more a day, and a load on carbs. that'll help you gain faster.

also, if you're takin a workout supplement that opens your veins (like NO or somethin) and then drinking coffee or taking some other form of caffeine, you're nullifying the effects of that supplement. (caffeine + caffeine = constricted veins)

you can do compound 3 times a week, and in the other 2 just focus on specific areas. you don't have to kill yourself, just work hard.

remember, most important thing: high weight, low reps.
    test
  3. The Steve

The Steve Space monkey I am not

Like Zyclon said work hard, which is as much weight as you can for 4-6 reps. 5 sets of 5 reps is a good strength/mass builder.

You can throw isolated work into your workouts, as long as you do your heavy compound lifts first. Make sure you're deadlifting and squatting(not on the same day), these 2 are best for putting on size.

A lot of guys will bust ass in the gym but ignore the other 23 hours in the day in regards to their nutrition. You have got to eat, a lot, otherwise all the work you put in the gym is for nothing.

Drink plenty of water, get 8 hours of sleep, take a multivitamin, and stop smoking so much.
    test
  4. Nu'maaN

Nu'maaN Anu'naki, Nuqqa.

more than four meals in a day? i'd throw up man.

i'm taking this thing called "***** weight gainer", i don't drink coffee at all though. it's not really protein because it didn't help my muscles recover at all. i heard if you take whey protein or something, your muscles shouldn't be sore especially after three or four days. i worked out on monday (the first time in three years), and i'm still sore lol.

train 5 days a week? sounds gravy, but i heard you're supposed to give muscles a rest.

deadlifting and squatting are the most difficult exercises to do for me, there's no way you can look cool while doing those two exercises lol.

how'd you know i smoke so much lol, cheers for both of your advices.

very helpful, fellas ...

[turn] ...
    test
  5. zyclon B gas

zyclon B gas sososerious

when i say 6 times a day, i don't mean full meals. you keep your core 3, but for the other 3, you have small things, i.e. protein shake w/ fruits & oats in it, 2 cups of fruits, a handful of nuts. stuff that fills you up but isn't oppressive. if you have a protein shake at night w/ natural peanut butter and oats mixed into it, your body will work all night long but it won't keep you up. really good for you.

trust me, when you start factoring in those extra meals - even though you don't think you can - you'll start seeing a difference.

honestly, i'd say fuck takin a weight gainer, but if it helps go for it. you should take whey protein and BCAA's. There are plenty of BCAA drinks you can get that you drink before, during, and after your workout (just mixing one drink and having it throughout that entire period) which will boost your energy during workouts and help your muscles to recover way more than just straight protein.

hell yeah you're sore after your first workout in 3 years. next week? probably not so much. your muscles do need rest, that's what saturday & sunday are for. then again, i'm not sayin jump into 5 days a week, but simply that on your "off days" you can just focus on that one area that you want to see more improvement in.

and looking cool =/= working out. suck it up and do the deadlifts and squats lol.
    test
  6. The Steve

Deadlifting and squatting are some of the most difficult exercises for anyone to do, that's why a lot of people skip them. That's also why a lot of people stay skinny or weak lol.

And who gives a shit about looking cool? Besides, once you start getting your poundage up, squatting or deadlifting hundreds of pounds does indeed look cool.

I know you smoke because I roam the alley.
    test
  7. Nu'maaN

Nu'maaN Anu'naki, Nuqqa.

nice, thanks for all the responses thus far.

it's been more helpful that you suggested it would've been.

will let you know for further information, but one last question.

is it okay to "trick your muscles", meaning don't do the same thing every time week in week out? ...

[turn] ...
    test
  8. The Steve

It will take the body a month or two to 'adapt', but even then you haven't worked out for 3 years so you really don't need to be jumping all over the place off the bat.

For at least the first month(really 2) I'd stick with heavy ass compound lifts, other barbell work(BB curls, BB rows), and some additional lower weight higher rep for isolation. Even then after that heavy compounds should still remain a staple in your workout but you could start to toy with the reps or percentage of your 1 rep max.

I should add that by considering your lack of physical work, your initial intro period is your best time to gain as your body's going to be initially shocked by what you're doing to it. These first couple of months you will see some of your best gains, so don't fuck around or it's wasted.
    test
  9. Nu'maaN

Nu'maaN Anu'naki, Nuqqa.

by far, the most motivational thing i've read for a beginner.

i'm going to read into all the good compound workouts before i begin.

might aswell do it properly if i'm going to do it. as yukmouth said, if you're gonna do it, do it right ...

[turn] ...
    test
  10. -GZ-

-GZ- Posts Unfunny Pics

that's actually better than doing the same routine every day
    test
  11. Odysseus

Odysseus a marvelous muthafucka

lots of milk and lots of squats = [​IMG]
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.