Christianity is not Logical

Discussion in 'The Sanctuary' started by Con.Found.Dead, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Con.Found.Dead

Con.Found.Dead Active Member

I would say he (Lewis) dealt with those who would claim Jesus was a moral teacher and nothing more. His arguments are based off of reason, and logic, to be sure. Yet Lewis himself does not prove Jesus' deity, only that people cannot dismiss Him as a minor figure of history.
    test
  2. FeedMeMore

FeedMeMore Moderator

ANd because he fulfiled the prophecies of the Messiah. And did things we believe only God can do
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  3. FeedMeMore

FeedMeMore Moderator

I know I'm just using him as a example of miracles not meaning you are God he did many of the same miracles Christ did
    test
  4. FeedMeMore

FeedMeMore Moderator

I think that if you dont want to see it theres no way to "logically" defend something spiritual. Especially depending on what you mean by logic. I believe that looking at the information presented believing Jesus is God is very logical
    test
  5. TheBigPayback

TheBigPayback God Particle

1. Through fullfillment of old testiment prophesy(which he fullfilled to the letter)
    2. Through his miracles which he needed not invoke the father to achieve
    3. Through his word
    4. Through the first hand accounts of the gospels
    5. Through things he prophesied to come some of which has been some of which has yet to be fullfilled.
    6. Through personal experience, revelation and understanding

here is my blog post on the topic of Jesus being God.

http://telltheworldtheword.wordpress.com/2012/04/21/jesus-is-not-a-god/
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  6. Con.Found.Dead

Your blog is a good outline on Jesus' deity as proven by the OT. For the sake of this discussion of whether Christianity is logical, however, you make key assumptions in every single one of your points.

1. You assume the Old Testament is as authoritative as it is prophetic
    2. You assume that there is a "Father" God.
    3. Theologically, Jesus is the Word, which would make Him a self-fulfilling prophecy.
    4. You assume the accounts of the Gospel are first hand accounts.
    5. Same as #1.
    6. Revelation is hardly a "logical" event. Which is the point I'm trying to make.

The belief in a god, or higher power, is completely logical. However, to go from that to, "Jesus is God," requires a leap over a chasm that only faith can cross.
    test
  7. Con.Found.Dead

Definition of Reason: a cause, explanation, or justification for an action or event.

Definition of Logic: reasoning conducted or assessed according to strict principles of validity.

I'm not trying to believe Christianity is illogical. Trust me...if I could find an easier way to believe for myself, and everybody else, I would. Where as belief in Jesus as the Christ is clearly reasonable, however, the logic of that belief is simply absent. I don't believe this is a bad thing, mind you. I don't think the NT's emphasis on faith is accidental.
    test
  8. Legion Da Don

Legion Da Don New Member

your a moron :smackusure:
    • -Rep -Rep x 1
    test
  9. Con.Found.Dead

you're*
    • +Rep +Rep x 2
    test
  10. Legion Da Don

Legion Da Don New Member

since when does you're have a * at the end of it?:alliknowisthat:
    • -Rep -Rep x 1
    test
  11. Con.Found.Dead

Since you got awful at trolling.
    test
  12. Legion Da Don

Legion Da Don New Member

Yes i would expect you to think i am trolling just because I think your a moron for saying Christianity is not logicial, first of all that is a broad statement because there are diff sects of christianity, when you start point fingers at these religions thats when you fall into exactly what they want you to...it wasnt inteded to make sense, the religions were altered so that people would argue about them instead of trying to find the link between them all...

1:shaqsalute:
    test
  13. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

no he thinks youre trolling because all you posted was "your a moron" offered no reason on why, didnt try and outline your opinion, and left it at that. Thats why.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  14. Legion Da Don

Legion Da Don New Member

oh so yall teamin up on me and reppin eachother? Fack yall

and my first post is jus a smaller exspression of my 3rd.
    test
  15. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

i didnt team up shit, dont be so sensitive, i simply told you why you were called a troll
    test
  16. TheBigPayback

GOD
    Well youre assuming i mean something supernatural by revelation. i mean revelation as in understanding, a clarity
    of knowledge, that leads to breakthrough understanding of something.

If like you say belief in God is logical.
    than you believe its possible he exists.
    if its possible he exists its possible there are ways or a way to know or understand him, if that is true its possible one religion holds the truth to the knowledge of him. and if that is christianity than it is also logical to believe that the bible is true, and if the bibke is true than what the bible says is true, and the bible says jesus is God.

so Jesus being God is certainly logical and very much a possibility
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
    test
  17. Con.Found.Dead

Belief in a god is logical, yes. See the Kalaam Cosmological Argument. However, everything you've offered after that is of a slippery slope fallacy.

It's the same line of reasoning as: "If we legalize marijuana, then more people will smoke marijuana, then, because marijuana is a gateway drug, more people will start shooting heroin within the next year."

You assume that, if there is a god, (s)he/it has been made known to humanity (for instance, you have the watchmaker theory of God which says the world was created and then allowed to act on its own). You than say that a religion, Christianity, has knowledge of the truth about God. Which means their Holy Book, which is claimed to be inspired by God himself proves the existence of God (which leads to the "Begging the Question," fallacy).

What you presented isn't logical at all. It isn't even good reason.
    test
  18. TheBigPayback

I know the cosmological arguement well. yes.
    Heres more arguements for God
    http://crossexamined.org/video-clips/

along with arguements for why the bible is true, the new testiment, why not believing in God requires faith
    abd much more
    test
  19. TheBigPayback

And no I said if YOU assume there is a God, then it is also logical that the rest that follows is also logical.
    test
  20. Con.Found.Dead

Whether its you, or me, you were reffering to in that line of reasoning, it was still poorly done and not logically sound.
    test