Christianity is not Logical

Discussion in 'The Sanctuary' started by Con.Found.Dead, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Con.Found.Dead

Con.Found.Dead Active Member

While the title statement to this post may apply to all religions in some respect, I am only speaking to what I know personally and trying not to presume a knowledge of faiths that I know nothing about.

Belief in a higher power is logical
    Simply believing that there is a higher power, or many of them, is quite logical. The Kalaam Cosmological Argument is an example of how a god is a viable, logical explanation as to how the universe came to be. This is, of course, not to say that those who are atheist are illogical; merely that there is sound logic for the existence of something outside of the universe that we live in.

Belief that Jesus Christ is God is entirely illogical
    To go from "there is a higher power" to, "Jesus Christ is the Son of God" is an entirely different matter. It has been the tendency of Christians past to point to Jesus' life as described in the Gospels as proof of his claims. Working with the understanding that the Bible is a historically accurate retelling of Jesus' life, my push back, for those Christians, is that miracles are not proof of one's deity. There is a chasm between saying "Jesus did this, so Jesus must be God."

This extends to his execution at the hands of the Romans. It even pertains to his resurrection, three days later. Those events, in it of themselves, are not logical reasons to believe Jesus is God. Let alone that Jesus is a part of a trio of "beings" that makes up one God (Christians suck at math, btw). It is the equivalent of saying: "The man ate a hamburger from McDonalds, therefore he is poor." Being poor and eating at McDonalds could be related, but you cannot draw that conclusion simply from seeing a man seated under the golden arches.

The only conclusion is that the Christian faith, the complete trust and confidence that Jesus is God, is illogical.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

This is the first part of a blog post I'm writing for a website that, hopefully *crosses fingers* will be up an running in September or October. I'm pre-writing a lot of content for it as to create consistency. I'm looking for some feedback/push back from you guys as this probably going to be a more controversial post for Evangelicals.

The next posts would cover what "Christian" faith is; followed by why illogical, ignorance, and inconsistent are not the same things; followed by my own personal testimony on why I believe.

Thanks for reading.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  2. AliceHouse

AliceHouse The House Always Wins

You're reaching for the low-hanging fruit. Nobody is going to read something that has been done to death a thousand times before. My advice is to study Islam and point out why it's so ridiculous. Hipsters and liberals are too afraid to tackle it because they're afraid they'll be seen as racist. But a slave running, pedophelia accepting, militant faith that executes people who attempt to leave it should not be accepted.

Also reddit.com/r/atheism if you're interested in a larger audience.
    • -Rep -Rep x 1
    test
  3. Con.Found.Dead

I think you're missing that the context to this post is that of a Christian, writing to other Christians. It's one thing for an atheist to say faith is illogical, it's another thing entirely for an orthodox Christian to say it. That's not low hanging fruit, it's ripe discussion within that community.

What I didn't say Christianity or Islam was ridiculous, nor is that my argument. In fact, it's just as fallacious to say that something that is "illogical" is also ridiculous.
    test
  4. Geedorah

Geedorah King

Isnt Christianity a copy of older religions?
    • -Rep -Rep x 2
    test
  5. AliceHouse

AliceHouse The House Always Wins

You are correct and I apologize.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  6. Con.Found.Dead

Most people wouldn't say it's a "copy" more than they pull from different faiths of other, ancient middle eastern religions. It's good to remember that Christianity, historically, sprouted out of ancient Judaism. It's foundation is rooted in Hebrew prophecies recorded centuries before it. So if you believe that ancient Judaism is just the Hebrew, monotheistic version of religions that surrounded it than you likely believe Christianity is a kind of splinter group.
    test
  7. Con.Found.Dead

All good my dude.
    test
  8. FeedMeMore

FeedMeMore Moderator

I think you confuse I disagree with and not logical. The fact is Jesus claimed to be God and did things only the authority of God could be possible. Just because you lack of understanding doesn't make it illogical

If the man says he's eating at Mcdonalds because he's poor than it's no longer illogical to put that together.

I hope that before you post your blog speak to some who might be more logical on Christianity than you display and can debate your points to see your own error
    test
  9. FeedMeMore

FeedMeMore Moderator

no
    test
  10. Con.Found.Dead

I agree that not all understanding comes from logic. But your statement "Jesus claimed to be God and did things only the authority of God could be possible" is only half true. Yes, Jesus claimed to be God but you assume his recorded works and miracles as attributes to his deity. I covered this in the blog post when I wrote: "miracles are not proof of one's deity. There is a chasm between saying 'Jesus did this, so Jesus must be God."

This is an inductive fallacy known as "confirmation bias."

Something does not become logical simply because a man agrees with, or confirms, your understanding of those who eat at McDonalds. As I said before, the man who eats there could very well be poor; but his eating there does not make him poor any more than Jesus' miracles make him God.
    test
  11. FeedMeMore

FeedMeMore Moderator

Miracles are not

Mark 2:1-12
    However this miracle would actually attribute to his diety.
    It doesn't mean he is God because he has done it. It means it gives you good reason to believe in his claim of being God

No but what makes him poor is his statement of being poor and eating at McDonalds makes his statement believable. The same with Jesus his miracles don't make him God his claim to be God make him God. His miracles just give his claim authority and make it believable. Too claim to be God and unable to do miracles is illogical
    test
  12. Con.Found.Dead

The healing of a paralytic is part of the evidence to his claims, no doubt. I am not attempting to discount them entirely. What I am suggesting is that the statement, "Because Jesus did miracles, his claims to be God are true," is not a logical one. The bit I underlined on your post is exactly what I'm trying to say.

Something that is reasonable is not always entirely logical. Faith falls directly into that category, I feel.
    test
  13. FeedMeMore

FeedMeMore Moderator

Ok I agree he is not God because of his miracles. If that was true Elijah could call himself God. Now I understand your point of it more I agree with that idea
    test
  14. TheBigPayback

TheBigPayback God Particle

Christians believe Jesus is God because he said he was.
    test
  15. Con.Found.Dead

Also, Mormons believe John Smith is a prophet because he said he was. That isn't saying much, tbh.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  16. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

test
  17. TheBigPayback

u mean joseph smith. However joseph smith fails the test of the prophet since he has several failed prophecies. He also claims his prophethood from an alien name maroni. Not God the father. same cant be said for jesus, plus he wasnt simply claiming to be a prophet, he was claiming to be God.
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  18. TheBigPayback

Elijah recieved his power thru God,
    so he obviously couldnt claim to be God. Or else he wouldnt have had the abilities.
    test
  19. TheBigPayback

C.s. lewis dealt with this topic in Lord, liar, lunatic.
    • +Rep +Rep x 2
    test
  20. Con.Found.Dead

I can't believe I just typed in John Smith. SMH. Thanks for the correction.

Clearly, you don't believe Smith's for the reasons you've listed. Whether they are true, or not, isn't really the point I'm trying to make.

You haven't, logically, defended that there is a "God the Father," nor that Jesus is "God the Son." These are clearly things you believe based on the writings of the Gospels. Yet, logically, how do you prove Jesus' claims?
    test