Choosing a Microphone For A Home Studio

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by Majestic1990, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Majestic1990

Majestic1990 Peace and Love

test
  2. SeanDon

SeanDon The Don Menace

dope, yo majestic, im gonna follow u on twitter, follow me back!
    test
  3. OrdinaryNy

OrdinaryNy New Member

blue bluebird is a dope mic
    test
  4. platinumstatz

platinumstatz Member

Good info.. thanks for posting.
    test
  5. Built2007STi

Built2007STi New Member

Good lookin on that!
    test
  6. Original Bacon

Original Bacon New Member

Thank you for the article, legit
    test
  7. nO gOoD!

nO gOoD! Life Music :: Press Play

I like the Rode NT1A
    [​IMG]
    test
  8. macklewhore

macklewhore Registered Abuser

I might look into getting the AT2020...

Bit off-topic, but how good would dynamic mics be for rapping?
    test
  9. Drschmalzy

Drschmalzy Active Member

If your on a budget for a condenser mic that produces a nice warm vocal the rode nt1a is very nice... If you want a clear presence the audio technica at3035 is great...

If you want a cheap but very very good tube condenser microphone you can not go wrong with the mxl v69 mohogani addition sorrya bout the spelling... My engineer I interned at had this mic and I could not believe for how cheap maybe $300-400 how good this mic was for vocals... I'm talking crisp clear and very warm... I just purchased the mic and I love it... perfect for vocals... I will never go back to a non tube microphone especially for my voice and most people I record. amazing mic...

I still love the nt1a mic and the at33035 but for the price of the tube that sounds good and cheap which usually isn't the case it competes with a lot of mics that cost ten times... I've used almost every industrial mic from the u87 to the geminis virtually every brand when I went to school with and I do not see much difference in quality to be honest... especially paying $3-400 verses 3-5 grand... I'm sure the build quality is better etc but there's no point to spend money on a mic your better off spending money on the real stuff like preamps and interfaces and monitors... I could make a sm58 mic sound better then a u87 with better pres... people don't realize it is not ur mic thats one of the lowest chains to get better quality along with an engineer lol...

Blues make good mics but there way too much compared to other mics that produce better sound... imo...they just look kool and fancy but the actual sound is not that impressive for the price...

just my two cents from recording for 5 years and watching engineers record using sm58's over any condensers just because for that person a dynamic mic worked and performed better so I always keep a sm58 on hand or 57... A lot of records are recorded on sm57-58 mics believe it or not.

Get ur self some appogee preamps their my personal favorite, for an interface you can not go wrong with the duet 2 ... simply the best for the price and quality... works perfect with logic pro which is my favorite program I hate protools not enough you can do and it's slow in a lot of aspects from logic not to mention you gotta wait to bounce a song...
    test
  10. PicholasNaugam

PicholasNaugam Active Member

I have a Blue Sparks mic, and love it. Never really fucked with interfaces and all that bullshit. Just a man, his mic, and Logic
    test
  11. ItsAllPhree

ItsAllPhree New Member

i use the blue yeti pro with the usb not XLR just yet. i have some quality tests on my youtube. search "PhreeRhymes" my music isnt the best i just started.. feel free to give some criticism as well though
    test
  12. DefKnotEmo

DefKnotEmo G.R.G.

I literally just bought this a few days ago, I still need to get a usb audio interface with a built in pre amp, any suggestions for the 150-200 price range?
    test
  13. Free Lynx

Free Lynx ®m legend Peter Parker

see if u can get a used mbox, i love mine, small and sounds great
    test
  14. nO gOoD!

nO gOoD! Life Music :: Press Play

[​IMG]

this site -------> Tascam US122 MK-II USB Audio Interface at zZounds

has some reviews on it and price which is regular 249.00 down to 109.00 I believe. I have used mine plenty and have had not one issue with it. works great.
    test
  15. TheRealDetour

TheRealDetour @therealdetour

i'm an audio engineering student who is currently about a semester or two away from a BA in Music Production an two years from an MS in Audio Engineering...i don't know everything, but here's a general idea of what i do know...

for hip-hop vocals, ur gonna want something that is warm, but doesn't totally disregard the importance of clarity an brilliance in the voice...i'm not a big fan of AT2020's at all, not one bit, tbh...the 4040's are far better an still lame...

someone mentioned the bluebird, which can be a phenomenal microphone for the right voice, but a pain the ass for the wrong voice...it has great vocal presence, but can over-deliver on any raspiness in ur voice...low end is okay...

my personal favorite for rap vocals on an entry-level microphone is the shure sm7, or sm7b...these are classic microphones, in fact it's the same model michael jackson recorded thriller on...they are very warm an some of ur favorite songs have been recorded on these...

to whoever asked if dynamic mics would be good for rapping, dynamic mics (for many years) were THE go to microphone for rap vocals...in the past few years or so many hip-hop artists have gone towards condensor models, but dynamics are still some of the best for getting the warm, rich sound out of rap vocals u need...

once ur price range steps up a bit i seriously recommend the shure ksm44...i cant see u being disappointed on male rap vocals for that, or any kind of soulful singer...it's a condensor mic that maintains the warmth of the sm7 (which is a dynamic)...its about 700 an worth every penny...however, u can get an area 51 tube mic for about the same price an nothing beats a tube mic, nothing at all, hands down...

so yeah, if u want a very present mic an u dont have a raspy voice, i highly recommend the bluebird, if u want something warmer or u have a raspy voice, i highly recommend the shure sm7b or perhaps one of the RE' model microphones...

i highly do not recommend AT microphones for much of anything, but especially rap...u can get a good sound out of them, but they naturally sound kinda cheap IMO...

an in terms of audio interfaces with good preamps, about the best ur gonna get in the cheap-o range is an m-audio profire...i'm not a big fan of their m-box's, but the octane pre's in the profire aren't bad for low cost interfaces an the interface itself does very well in the A/D an D/A conversion process...never really got much in the way of clocking issues either, an i could crank the pre's fairly high without gettin too much distortion before clipping...
    test
  16. TheRealDetour

TheRealDetour @therealdetour

an to clarify, the reason i dont like m-box's is i've seen them have clocking issues an processing issues that resulted in clicks an pops, which u can remove if u know how, but it's a pain in the ass...
    test
  17. Civilian2004

Civilian2004 New Member

Besides the Shure sm57/58, I would be weary of some of these mics. Mainly because the characteristics of them might be different and may not be a best fit for every voice. If you treat your room and have a good mic preamp (many interfaces come with good preamps these days), then you shouldn't have too much of an issue with mics. If you have a music equipment store close to you, I recommend testing the microphones there.
    test
  18. SKWIRL

SKWIRL New Member

I agree with u on the sm7b. That is one of the most under mentioned mics here and would probably give 85% of the people here a noticeably better sound.
    But u left out one of the biggest selling points.

It hardly picks up any background noise so unless your recording space has been acoustically treated professionally or u have some knowledge of acoustics and a decent penny to put into treating a room.
    That mic will do wonders for your sound.

More times than not. That mic will sound better in an open room than a condenser mic in a home made booth.
    Need a preamp or an interface with a decent amount of gain to drive it tho.
    test
  19. Skeptikul

Skeptikul New Member

for those on a super tight budget..
    I just purchased a Nady SCM 960 mic to replace my audio technica at2035.
    $70 shipped to my door but does not include shockmount.
    i just recorded a song a few days ago if anyone wants to check quality.
    it sounds better than my 2035 that i paid $150 for.
    test
  20. Storyville

Storyville New Member

I was recording Dizzee Rascal down in Miami. We initially tracked on a C800-G (which is a $7,000 mic). I swapped in a Blue Blueberry ($1,000) and got a decidedly better sound. These things are always a bit unpredictable.

Regarding cheaper mics, despite what was said above, the Audio Technica 4033a is a very good microphone. It's a decent substitute for my Neumann M147. But the 4033a is stand apart from the 2020, 4040, and 4050, which are not particularly great mics.

The Blue Bluebird is very good. It's an extremely clean signal path and tends to take to whatever preamp is feeding it. Chain it to a decent pre, you'll get great results. Chain it to a crappy pre, you'll get bullshit.

The Sm7/7b is great. The top end is not fantastic, but the rest of the frequency spectrum is very rich and detailed. On a budget I'm inclined to go here first.

The Rode series can be good - it's a little tricky to mix as they have tend to have an odd frequency response. Also, their customer support is good until your warranty runs out. Then they are 100% fuck off.
    test