Childish Gambino F*CKing SUCKS!!!!!

Discussion in 'Hip-Hop Central' started by thedream233, Aug 11, 2013.

1. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

well, I wouldn't go as far as to say he sucks, but most of his work isn't that good. It gets brought up several times on this board whenever I say anything good about the Camp album (which is flawless)

everytime I bring up that album, someone goes, nah he sucks I just heard this 1 track he did last week and it wasn't that good... and they post a track from royalty (2012) or some other shit.

believe it or not Ive been consistant on this the whole time.

Childish Gambino put out one of the decades best albums in 2011 (Camp) and he had a dope EP earlier that year but other than that, he's put out a lot of wack shit.

the reason being is that the Camp album was him actually being himself, talking about his real problems and his real life, whereas most of his other work is him trying to be a "lil wayne-esque" punchline rapper, which just doesn't work.

Ive been saying this since I first started listening to his music a year and a half ago.
    test
  2. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

Like I said, I think he's mocking rap and its clichés... that's what his biting is about... if you approach his music understanding that, then maybe you can appreciate him better? IDK... I don't care... to be honest, I haven't delved too deep into his catalogue because the few songs I heard from him just doesn't grab me... I get what he's doing, but I still don't like it... he has talent, he's just not my flavor... like BOB... another talented rapper who doesn't have a style that I like.
    test
  3. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

I think you missed the point of what I was trying to say.

In short, there are 2 childish gambinos... the one where he tries hard to be like all the other contemporary rappers ( the one where you rightfully say that hes biting cause he is)

and then there is the one where he lets his true personality come to the forefront... hes much more deeper and talks about problems specifically to him

test
  4. The_K3

The_K3 ^Secksi^

hes decent at best
    test
  5. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

he's phenomenal at best. the problem is, hes not always at his best.
    test
  6. ThatsNotMyName

ThatsNotMyName The Conquering Lion

At best he is not that good, dream. His swag songs and punchlines are actually cool, but they get old really quick. And his introspective stuff it's not thaaaaaaaat good, I mean, it's just okay. Camp didn't age well, imo.
    test
  7. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

well it depends on what you consider his best. his swag/punchline songs are horrible and an insult to hip hop. but for some reason he feels he can somehow get street cred from doing those types of tracks so he keeps doing them.
    test
  8. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

his best tracks are where he talks about race and the role of the black man in america and his tracks about relationships. those sre the tracks where hes actually himself.
    test
  9. ThatsNotMyName

Isn't it the other way around? The ones where he talks about his black man struggle is were you can hear his cry for acceptance in the black community.
    test
  10. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

when he tries to have "swag" and use a bunch of punchlines, he admitted to trying to be like Lil Wayne. Lil wayne isn't even good at that style. its terrible when both of them do it.

and yes, he does talk about how hard it is to be accepted in the black community. whats so bad about that? I have the same problems sometimes. people think that just because you dont use slang when you talk that it means you're "not black"
    test
  11. ThatsNotMyName

I think he is trying to find himself. He is not copying Wayne no more, he is more like copying A$AP sometimes, and Kanye. Even the introspective songs sound like Kanye Jr. Which I'm totally okay with. With people emulating trying to find their own style.

But for me, the final product is not that desirable, and got old quick. I mean, I liked Gambino's songs when they were out, but now that time has passed, they lost replay value to me at least.
    test
  12. Superman70

Superman70 edited

i liked camp, it's between a 3.5/5 and a 4/5.

didnt listen to anything else really
    test
  13. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

Its just sad to see a rapper regress. on his best track, "All the shine" he said that he wasn't himself in his old songs and thats why he released all his old shit for free. then after a strong album in camp, he goes right back to the bullshit he used to do on the royalty mix tape album in 2012... the brag raps and shitty punchlines. I only listen to the TOP punchline rappers... cassidy, Big L, and to a lesser extent, celph titled...

and yeah, theres a little kanye influence in his introspective stuff but its not like he jacked kanye's whole style. tracks like hold Me down, Kids and LES are all childish gambino being who he really is.
    test
  14. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

the "EP" he did earlier in 2011 was pretty good, like I said in the first post its the only project other than camp that I actually like from him.
    test
  15. Been Trill

Been Trill Hardcore

You would think he would be one of the best if you heard a good song.

Other songs are questionable, but he is overall very good.
    test