"Cheat singing" for choruses (without autotune because it sounds fucked up)

Discussion in 'Audio Emcee Hook Ups' started by Infinite520, Jul 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Infinite520

Infinite520 Y! Records Rookie

I'm sure this is done a lot commercially but these are just tips if you're decent at doing notes and you want to sing the chorus for your tracks.

I don't know shit about notes so I'm going to explain it as simply as I can.

I deconstructed by ear Bobby Brown's chorus on "My Prerogative" because I thought his voice was really average so I wanted to know what processes he used to make his final product.

I KNOW I'm not a good singer btw lol.

This was done with Cool Edit Pro 2.0

1. I started with the main voice you hear above the harmonized notes, all I added was reverb to that one. (Effects > Delay Effects > Reverb > Tight and Close)

2. Then I did an (Alto? Do?) note which is the main part of the harmony. I didn't sing this well at all but it doesn't really matter.

3. After the high note I did two low ones. The first low note I did is just the lowest octave you can go for the harmony without it sounding like shit. And the loudest low note you hear that sounds kind of "robotic" I just did to the best of my ability and then lowered the pitch. (Effects > Time/Pitch > Stretch% 102/Pitch Shift: Splicing Frequency 32 Hz Overlapping 25%. High Precision)

5. I added a Falsetto (sing with a head voice) note but I don't think it was really necessary.

6. After I recorded all of my layers I went to Effects > Delay Effects > Flanger > Detuner and added it to all of them EXCEPT the main one you hear above the harmony. The point of this is making them "become one" because without it they don't blend well at all (because you can't actually sing lol)

And this is the product:
    Mine: Download Technology amazing mp3
    Bobby Brown's: YouTube - Bobby Brown - My Prerogative [HQ]

I'm sure people with better voices can make it sound a lot better than I can but you get the drift.
    test
  2. Deep Abyss

Deep Abyss Becoming King

Nigga just download the vst called melodyne lol
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  3. The_K3

The_K3 ^Secksi^

ima try this out favourite this thread
    test
  4. MeNTiLL PoET

MeNTiLL PoET Nahlidge

Word. If you know the basics about harmonizin`. Even someone with a blah voice you hear live can make a recordin` sound straight. Harmonizin` plays a big part when it comes to a final product. BUT when you got someone that sounds dope singin` without layers and toss in harmonies on top of that it`s even doper.
    test
  5. DZK

DZK DZKonline.net

your link isnt loading
    test
  6. Infinite520

usershare is down nyukka and u can already sing gtfo LOL
    test
  7. DZK

DZK DZKonline.net

nah i layer the shit out of my shit too

the link works now

it sounds good, just a little "heavy" you could get away with lowering the volume of the "low" octave layers
    test
  8. Infinite520

what are those notes called i dont know what im doing LOL
    test
  9. DZK

DZK DZKonline.net

the part where you sang in a deep low tone

you can lower the volume on those layers and make it sound more natural

the key to good layering is to find the right balance between the different layers and make it sound as natural as possible (closer to one voice, not several)
    test
  10. Infinite520

word thanks broski
    test
  11. CRUMS2BRICKS

CRUMS2BRICKS New Member

wtf is harmonizing
    test
  12. War Machine

War Machine Sam Antics

i dont think you needed the low lows, but you pretty much got the idea on the rest

youre absolutely spot on with the auto tune shit though. poeple over tweek the nobs to get the "robot" voice, because vocals are vibrations of sound, and when u try to correct them at too small of an interval it throws them up and down all over the key youre trying to tune them into. used properly, its a great way to cheat and take average, or somewhat bad singing, an throw some of the off notes back into key.

i think you did pretty well on this, im fooling around with it the same way now as well, it's just my voice is a lot deeper, so im kinda scared to fuck around with the higher key stuff. i always thought you sounded good on the tracks youve sung on though
    test
  13. Drenalen

Drenalen Drena!

Sounds good.

I'd like to hear what you sound like just singing it raw

And I would lower the deeper tones a bit
    test
  14. -GZ-

-GZ- Posts Unfunny Pics

sound like the backstreet boys harmonizing tbh

so good job
    test
  15. Infinite520

LMAO @ it probably being closer to BSB because i sound white (even tho im black -__-)

anyways i'd like to see if this helps anyone else or if anyone could improvise on it because i don't want it to be TOO computer generated but the small changes are nice

at the end of the day it's a lot more fun actually trying to sing the notes correctly, a little help isn't bad tho
    test
  16. OurSin

OurSin lol @ equality

Melodyne and/or autotune are the only ways to go
    test
  17. Bonnie Bathory

Bonnie Bathory New Member

I will try this
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  18. Dynamikal

Dynamikal New Member