Chael Sonnen calls the LHW division a joke

Discussion in 'MMA, Boxing & Other Combat Sports' started by $1OOOOOO, Jun 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. $1OOOOOO

$1OOOOOO Disintegrating in the fog

The ever-outspoken, feather-ruffling politician/fighter from Oregon, Chael Sonnen, has unsurprisingly not decided to pull his verbal jabs. In an interview given to Fight! Magazine at last weekend's UFC Fan Expo, Sonnen not only took shots at former Light Heavyweight Champions Tito Ortiz and Quinton "Rampage" Jackson, he called out the entire light heavyweight division.
    "185 pounds is the toughest division in the business," said the real estate agent. "If you're going to go after the belt, go after the tough one. I'd love to get a night off and go beat up some of [the UFC's light heavyweights]. For god's sake, 205 had a karate guy that was their champion. That weight class is a joke."

Dismissing the world-class Lyoto Machida as a "karate guy" will certainly incense some fans but is likely just another attempt by Sonnen to ruffle feathers. With established fighters such as Rashad Evans, Quinton "Rampage" Jackson, Randy Couture, Antonio Rogerio Nogueira, Forrest Griffin, Thiago Silva, Brandon Vera and champion Mauricio "Shogun" Rua dotting its roster in addition to talented up-and-comers Jon "Bones" Jones, Jason Brilz, Ryan Bader and Phil Davis it is difficult to make the argument that the UFC's light heavyweight division is a joke. Perhaps we will eventually get the chance to see Sonnen test his skills against the heavier fighters at 205.

In addition to calling them out by virtue of association with their division, Sonnen also took aim personally at "Rampage" and "The Huntington Beach Bad Boy."

In an obvious allusion to Ortiz's highly-publicized dispute with the UFC, Sonnen said: "If I beat Anderson Silva and become the World Champion, I imagine I'll get in a public dispute with the UFC, I'll call Dana a bunch of names throughout the media and I imagine I'll leave the company. After about a year or so, I'll realize that there's nowhere else to go, return to the UFC with a raise and probably coach the reality show. I'm just sayin' it seems to be the trend, doesn't it?"

Sonnen also joined those critical of Quinton Jackson's fledgling acting career.

"I won't watch the A-Team movie," said Sonnen. "That was my favorite TV show, but they cast the wrong guy. I won't be watching it."

Whatever Sonnen's mission, it is clear that he is not looking to make friends of many of his fellow fighters. Though he may not be attracting the admiration of his peers, Sonnen's outlandish comments and willingness to call just about anyone out have him quickly being noticed and appreciated by many MMA fans. Win or lose, the entertainment value that Sonnen carries with him into his fights will likely keep him employed for some time; whether or not you find that to be a good thing is another matter altogether.
    test
  2. OurSin

OurSin lol @ equality

Can't wait to see this faggot get Ko'd
    test
  3. Delinquent

Delinquent lol

wow

the LHW division is clearly the toughest, and the MW is easily the weakest

as much as i hate anderson, now i hope anderson knocks this clown out
    test
  4. R3flex

R3flex Smackin Ya Manses

what has this guy accomplished to talk so much shit?

is he serious with this or is he just trying to plant seeds so when Silva rapes him he'll have other "beefs" to settle & the UFC will continue to do business with him?
    test
  5. Tha Cunnysmythe

Tha Cunnysmythe Unsavoury Negroid

Sonnen is Koscheck without the in-ring drama.
    test
  6. DahStoryTella

DahStoryTella knowledge of self

Typical Sonnen, lmao.
    test
  7. NOBLE SOLDIER

NOBLE SOLDIER Fireball Kid

this... I hate Anderson.. But i hope he is apart of the first death in a cage.. Sonnens.. i hate chael so fuck'n much,,
    test
  8. NOBLE SOLDIER

or skill..
    test
  9. zyclon B gas

zyclon B gas sososerious

yeah, this is gonna be embarassing. i'm predicting silva ko's chonnen in...2 minutes 15 seconds max.
    test
  10. DisFunction

DisFunction New Member

du's milking his 15 minutes of fame...

he's prob the shittiest opponent Silva has faced in his last 5 fights

this fight makes no sense to me except that white wants silva to move up in weightclasss...so he feeding him this bum...
    test
  11. Delinquent

Delinquent lol

chael is the biggest fucking scum bag of the sport and doesn't even take it serious nor takes pride as a fighter

the fag didn't even mention mma once at all in his bio on his campaign webite for watever he's running for. the closest he could say was that he had college wrestling credentials
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  12. DahStoryTella

Imagine if he won, lmao. (I think it's possible if he closes the distance and gets TD's actually)

Yeah, I said it. But, I'm hoping Silva wins via Forrest Griffin antics.
    test
  13. NOBLE SOLDIER

I hope he treats chael 10X worse then he did forrest..
    test
  14. jayoo

jayoo new york representative

id like to see chael competitive but i dont want him to win anymore.. hes outsteppin his boundaries
    test
  15. Tha Cunnysmythe

Tha Cunnysmythe Unsavoury Negroid

I agree. Problem is closing the distance in the first place.

I've only seen Chael vs Maia and Marquardt. Does he have a fast shot? If not, he's fucked.
    test
  16. jayoo

jayoo new york representative

ill bet the main focus of his camp will be his shot, knowing thats his only chance
    test
  17. Money Mac Sabb

Money Mac Sabb Horse Meat FTW

I like Sonnen's quotables because I know he's just being a dick, but as an actual fighter I'm just not all that impressed by him. The dangerous thing about him to Silva is that he's a wrestler that doesn't pretend to be anything other than a wrestler, but what's good for Silva is that Sonnen fucks up a lot. If Silva gets another sub victory in his UFC career, Sonnen is a good candidate.
    test
  18. DahStoryTella

I'm sure Mark Munoz is helping Silva a lot with his wrestling.

Did Black House even have a top level wrestler back when he (Silva) fought Hendo?
    test
  19. Money Mac Sabb

Money Mac Sabb Horse Meat FTW

Really not sure.

The way Silva typically deals with grapplers is to mind his distance, which is why his last mw fights have been snoozefests.
    test
  20. DahStoryTella

Dead @ this Chael post, btw:

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/2/10/1304711/chael-sonnen-says-im-five-strike

Yes, it's old.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.