Cardio when I'm trying to bulk?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by style-rip, Sep 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. style-rip

style-rip Lakers>Clippers

I'm 6 foot, 170 lbs... 26 yrs old.

Within the past month and a half, I actually gained 13 lbs (used to be 157). My goal is to be at 185-190. I'm eating a lot more, and focusing on quality meals every 3-4 hrs + weight gainer, protein shakes, creatine.

My question is, while I'm trying to bulk up, should I still be doing cardio? I have a fast metabolism which makes me extremely difficult to gain weight if I'm not on top of it at all times.

I play basketball once a week or so, but how much cardio if any should I be doing at the gym? I dont want to get love handles.
    test
  2. zyclon B gas

zyclon B gas sososerious

you should always stick with at least some cardio. I'd suggest doing about 20-30 minutes twice a week. it'll keep the belly flab off, but won't lean you out. you say your metabolism is fast, well one way to bulk up easier is to super-load starchy carbs, and eat 6-8 times a day. increase your caloric intake about 500 calories. don't neglect protein, but you want to have a more carb-heavy diet.
    test
  3. The Steve

The Steve Space monkey I am not

If you want to put up to 20lbs of quality mass on you're going to gain some fat in the process, it's a fact of life. Unless of course you want to take a long, slow road in which only "lean mass" is accumulated, in which case enjoy putting on those 20lbs in the next 5 years.

It's coming into winter, so bulk up. Heavy carb, heavy protein, moderate fat.

I'd increase your caloric intake by 250 calories a week, which i'm guessing you're not even counting calories or macro breakdown. You could pyramid up to anywhere from 3,500 to 4,500 calories and then bring it back down.

Ex.

Week 1- 2,500
    2- 2,750
    3- 3,000
    so on and so forth until you hit the high calorie and stay there for a month or so and then start bringing it down again.

Who gives a shit about some love handles? Do you wanna be bigger or not?
    test
  4. Ralph Pootawn

Ralph Pootawn New Member

You can put on weight and still do cardio, it's more about preserving muscle and limiting test - estrogen conversion.
    test
  5. TheNewGuy

TheNewGuy New Member

You'll just have to eat more to compensate. It's good for your heart, but if you're exercising with intensity, that should be more than enough. I haven't done cardio in 6 months. I will include it when it's time to shed some weight.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.